Timing Curve with Boost

thatblue_67stang

So i got to thinking about how everyone has a locked dizzy and i dont. My car is performing amazingly with the mechanical advance and also boost retard. i was wondering if its worth getting the Dizzy recurve kit and if anyone knows what i should recurve the distributor to. also i was wondering if i should be running vaccum advance and if i do will the boost blow out the diaphragm.

here is a image of what the springs will do with a re curve kit

Q4xrr0R.png

The theory (the Science) and the practice (the Art) vary.

Although you can just get the springs and hanger ratchet adjusted with the recommendent springs and ratchet arm machining, your just guessing unless you test it with a dial back timing light to ball park it, and then a Sun Distributor tester to verify. Two guys here on this forum do that for you, Billy the Distributerman (wsa111) and Farron (FordSedan Delivery). Theses guys aren't sharks, and sell the stuff they service world wide.

Mechanical advance is part art, part science. The Art is making sure your advance curve doesn't change from what you plan. If the engine needs a different curve, then you have to figure out how to get that dialed in on an engine load verses rpm basis.

The boost retard part, well, its up to you how you verify it because a lot chanes as a turbo engine dynamically moves from unloaded to loaded.

xctasy":1sq2yb65 said:
The theory (the Science) and the practice (the Art) vary.

Although you can just get the springs and hanger ratchet adjusted with the recommendent springs and ratchet arm machining, your just guessing unless you test it with a dial back timing light to ball park it, and then a Sun Distributor tester to verify. Two guys here on this forum do that for you, Billy the Distributerman (wsa111) and Farron (FordSedan Delivery). Theses guys aren't sharks, and sell the stuff they service world wide.

Mechanical advance is part art, part science. The Art is making sure your advance curve doesn't change from what you plan. If the engine needs a different curve, then you have to figure out how to get that dialed in on an engine load verses rpm basis.

The boost retard part, well, its up to you how you verify it because a lot chanes as a turbo engine dynamically moves from unloaded to loaded.

yes i understand, but i was wondering if anyone knew a good timing curve for boosted engines. ik people can do it but i dont feel like spending that kind of money rn and have my car be down for a week or 2

Don't purchase that kit with weights & springs.
To make it real clear they are junk.
As per emails this PM wait till fall comes & i will test your distributor & see what you have as far as centrifugal advance total & the curve.
With a boosted combo sometimes the vacuum advance will benefit part throttle conditions.
Since you have the BTM that will at least get you into the safe zone. Bill

wsa111":1ladncpo said:
Don't purchase that kit with weights & springs.
To make it real clear they are junk.
As per emails this PM wait till fall comes & i will test your distributor & see what you have as far as centrifugal advance total & the curve.
With a boosted combo sometimes the vacuum advance will benefit part throttle conditions.
Since you have the BTM that will at least get you into the safe zone. Bill

Ok sounds great

Back