longevity: turbo builds as daily driver how durable is your build?

sdiesel

2K+
VIP
informal poll.
with the fascinating practice of turbocharging these lovely old motors, im curious about longevity.

how long do your builds last, and under what circumstances?

can a turbo six be built to go the distance?
say 100K?
what would that build look like?

You need to specify longevity under what conditions.

Heavy loads or towing with boost for long periods of time?
Light truck with occasional sprints under boost?
How much boost?

sdiesel":17pnx13i said:
informal poll.
with the fascinating practice of turbocharging these lovely old motors, im curious about longevity.

say 100K?

I have had a turbo six for a little over 600 miles haha. I use it as a daily. Unless you are in boost all the time there is no damage done. I plan on dailying the car at 10-15 psi. It's only at 5psi rn because I was breaking in the rings because I gapped them for the boost. So far if you do everything right it should be fine. Most people lock the dizzy but for driveability I got a boost timing master that let's me keep dizzy open.

Fairly stock inline 250 MAverick with Buick derived Draw-Thru' turbo setup lasted until @ 15-20 PSI of boost at which piston ring lands cracked off leading to sudden loss of power and cloud of oily mist across windshield ... Current Vortech supercharged (from blown-up 5.0)/ blow thru carb'd fairly stock 250 inline in the Mav' has worked head and ARP fasteners and has been stable and reliable for @ 2 yrs / 3000 miles with occasional spirited driving. Limiting boost to @ 5-8 PSI and careful attention to AFR's and ign.timing keeps it together . I wouldn't call it a Daily but is a fair weather regular.

have fun

powerband":270t28zj said:
Fairly stock inline 250 MAverick with Buick derived Draw-Thru' turbo setup lasted until @ 15-20 PSI of boost at which piston ring lands cracked off leading to sudden loss of power and cloud of oily mist across windshield ... Current Vortech supercharged (from blown-up 5.0)/ blow thru carb'd fairly stock 250 inline in the Mav' has worked head and ARP fasteners and has been stable and reliable for @ 2 yrs / 3000 miles with occasional spirited driving. Limiting boost to @ 5-8 PSI and careful attention to AFR's and ign.timing keeps it together . I wouldn't call it a Daily but is a fair weather regular.

have fun

I believe if this setup had a intercooler Instead of going right to the carb it would have survived the 15-20psi if it had a intercooler. A air to air intercooler really helps with daily driving snd detonation.

Have been running my obd2 f150 turboed since november 2017 as a daily. Stock longblock with over 200k miles and put near 10k miles on it at 6 psi boost creeping up to around 12 psi at 4000 rpm. Now fixed the boost creep and running 13-14 psi and still no problems. Not a drop of oil and no sign of headgasket seeping in coolant overflow. 165 lbs compression across all 6. Also im using the he351 turbo but id reccomend the 341 for low rpm killer torque. I dynoed today over 500 ft lbs at 2600 rpm

interesting
my concept of daily driver, this addressed to paul's comments, would feasibly encompass all variety of driving.
my rigs are big, heavy fords.
but they pull duty from the mundane to the extravagant.
so in response , driving of the kind I might do with a full on factory stock vehicle.
...or not.
fun to hear/see so many iterations of the puffed 300.
it seems to be gaining in popularity.

if I were to turbo, and we discussed this at some length, I would go propane with water.
7 # boost, and a very mild cam.
my current sticking point is effective knock sensing, with control thru mega jolt or equivalent.
can go no further untill a suitable solution is found 4 that.
but that's just my scheme.
what impresses is the number of guys making this a reality , on a recurring basis.

sdiesel":2jbhdpn5 said:
informal poll.

say 100K?

i now go to school about 30 miles away and daily my turbo inline there. so 60 miles round trip a day. it is amazing. so much better on the highway. going about 70-80 mph im at 3k rpm

so now tge second shoe to drop,
in the course of a month or a summer or whatever,
what can any of you report for fuel mileage?

anyone playing with water injection ?

sdiesel":i6b74ai0 said:
so now tge second shoe to drop,
in the course of a month or a summer or whatever,
what can any of you report for fuel mileage?

anyone playing with water injection ?

I bought everything for meth injection but never hooked it up.
Idk about my fuel mileage

Back