Engine vibration (torque bars)

thatblue_67stang

I beat the living shit out of my turbo engine. It's just fun to do. Flying down the highway at 70mph and boosting up to 100mph. I have a bunch if extra components that just go along with having a turbo. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for torque bars to attach to the engine then the frame to help keep the engine in place to stop rattling snd also wear and tear.

brandoncw":3psvh3mu said:
box in the sub frame some and get or make solid/stiffer engine mounts?

i basically daily drive the car and its almost time to put it away so dont want to get into any big project

A quick down and dirty way to do a strap for the engine is to use a piece of cable or chain. Good luck (y) :nod:

A quick down and dirty way to do a strap for the engine is to use a piece of cable or chain.

I like the simplicity of the wire cable idea ...

Some motor mounts have interlocking plates allowing only limited movement on the bonded rubber halves before they catch. The '74 Maverick with supercharged 250 has OEM (I believe) motor mounts that interlock. Got new replacement mounts when I swapped engine but new version did not use same interlock plates so I re-used originals ...

The '61 250 (NA) uses Grade #8 bolts with locking nuts loosely thru the original type motor mount plates / rubber to limit movement.

have fun

powerband":y08az656 said:
A quick down and dirty way to do a strap for the engine is to use a piece of cable or chain.

I like the simplicity of the wire cable idea ...

Some motor mounts have interlocking plates allowing only limited movement on the bonded rubber halves before they catch. The '74 Maverick with supercharged 250 has OEM (I believe) motor mounts that interlock. Got new replacement mounts when I swapped engine but new version did not use same interlock plates so I re-used originals ...

The '61 250 (NA) uses Grade #8 bolts with locking nuts loosely thru the original type motor mount plates / rubber to limit movement.

have fun

i was thinking of making something like a big splitter rod. A heim joint on each side and an adjustable rod in the middle and attach it to the engine and to the frame. I would not attach it to the same places this one is but this is just an example.

KYLIN-STORE-Engine-Torque-Damper-Mounting-Kit-For-Nissan-240SX-S13-S14-SR20DET-KA24DE.jpg

mmm I think it transmits the vibrations to the chassis, but it can work. Elastomer motor mounts are used on these sides, like these.

43252995_10157110222297841_2636587707555381248_n.jpg

I have you on instagram haha. very cute your mustang

fakundo__92":3jwx9bpy said:
mmm I think it transmits the vibrations to the chassis, but it can work. Elastomer motor mounts are used on these sides, like these.

43252995_10157110222297841_2636587707555381248_n.jpg

I have you on instagram haha. very cute your mustang

thanks for following me. my mustang has never been called cute before haha. there is a first for everything

on my truck(s)
I use a standard turnbuckle.
it's ugly but effective.
furthermore, I brace the transfer case which is affixed to the rear of tge transmission.
in this manner it helps solidify the entire unit.
relieving strain on any one part of the system

Attachments

• 20180927_184304.jpg
    20180927_184304.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
The '61 250 (NA) uses Grade #8 bolts with locking nuts loosely thru the original type motor mount plates / rubber to limit movement. have fun[/quote said:
This works very well and creates zero vibration if you leave the bolt loose.

Back