F-250 super cab 4x4 300 Turbo

ah....that makes sense now. it sure is confusing when i go out on my own to search some of this stuff.
what i know , i know what i dont know ....is bewildering.

if you have not got too far along on this build, i have just taken in a new virgin block,low miles. its tanked up and clean. factory bore and pistons, ford bearings.

an .010 overbore to make it perfect circle and clean will give you a heck of a starting block on a turbo build.
it might be useful to you.
number 6 has just a touch of rust it might hone out. cross-hatching still present, ridge only in cylinder 1, and its modest. was a 240 engine.

Yeah, Summit has just the one BBC small journal rod from compstar that’ll work with custom pistons.
I still haven’t made any progress. Machinist was wrapping up deer season when I talked to him last.
Part of me is interested in using 240 rods, saving on machining, but also concerned about 40-60 years of strain and abuse, even if they are forged.

A stroker Windsor, no turbo, also keeps popping up in the back of my head, but it also sounds lame being so easy.
I’m hoping to nail the machinist down to meet so I can get a rough price from him and make a decision.

motorsickle1130":vdx17619 said:
Part of me is interested in using 240 rods, saving on machining, but also concerned about 40-60 years of strain and abuse, even if they are forged.
We generally use the 240 rod for naturally aspirated high revving 300 six engine where the piston weight is reduced because of the higher piston pin height.
The 6.385" BBC rod is longer than the stock rod but still gives plenty room above the rod's small end for a thick piston crown along with a deep dish.
It also allows plenty of room for a thick top ring land and an accumulator groove.
The 240 rod piston doesn't. As you can see the pin is up into the ring pack.
The piston for the BBC rod will also have a longer skirt which will give better piston stability under boost.
[image]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccbpp904l9gjc67/300%20piston%202.JPG?raw=1[/image]

HI pmuller9, on using an accumulator grove on a custom made piston what are the specs that should be used? Thank you (y) :nod:

bubba22349":zew62aup said:
HI pmuller9, on using an accumulator groove on a custom made piston what are the specs that should be used? Thank you (y) :nod:
The piston manufacturer cuts the accumulator groove to their own specs.
I have not had to spec the groove dimensions

Back