Any advice on building a 200ci for a turbo?

I understand what is going on, we have all been there but I would feel that I would not be helping the ford small six community if I did not point out the differences...The problem with the early logs is that the log is to small to fit a direct mount well...the late model logs are bigger with more room to fit the direct mount and the log has more volume and flows more...The chambers are also larger on the large log head about 62cc verses about 52 for the small log heads, except the late model large log 170 that is about 52cc...The best head is the last model ''hex'' head with the largest volume, it is a little harder to do the direct because it is is not as flat as the earlier large log, we call those flat tops..Star Diego used the ''Hex'' head on his direct mount and had good results.
These cars are old, it is possible that someone put a large log head on your engine or even a late model engine...Do you know for sure what head you have?

pmuller9":34903x68 said:
You need to know the cam specs before you can really know what the compression ratio needs to be.
You should talk to Schneider about a cam.
Make sure you tell them that this is a turbocharged engine and you want power from 2000 rpm up to 5500 rpm and no higher.
Be prepared to tell them about modifications to the head.

Do you have the turbocharger?

How thick is the head gasket now?
I do not remnants exactly it is the same crush thickness of the stock replacements I had one from vintage inline I sent to them for measurements and I haven’t picked out a turbo yet I thought sizing might tie into everything that’s done to the motor

Timmy66":3k8fo0ws said:
pmuller9":3k8fo0ws said:
You need to know the cam specs before you can really know what the compression ratio needs to be.
You should talk to Schneider about a cam.
Make sure you tell them that this is a turbocharged engine and you want power from 2000 rpm up to 5500 rpm and no higher.
Be prepared to tell them about modifications to the head.

Do you have the turbocharger?

How thick is the head gasket now?
I do not remember exactly it is the same crush thickness of the stock replacements I had one from vintage inline I sent to them for measurements and I haven’t picked out a turbo yet I thought sizing might tie into everything that’s done to the motor

Timmy66":2tb31hkw said:
I haven’t picked out a turbo yet I thought sizing might tie into everything that’s done to the motor
What rpm range do you want for power?

pmuller9":1dt8zybn said:
Timmy66":1dt8zybn said:
I haven’t picked out a turbo yet I thought sizing might tie into everything that’s done to the motor
What rpm range do you want for power?
Probably lower rpm I want a street strip car and I don’t think these motors gain much after 5k do they

drag-200stang":2qvmpkl2 said:
I understand what is going on, we have all been there but I would feel that I would not be helping the ford small six community if I did not point out the differences...The problem with the early logs is that the log is to small to fit a direct mount well...the late model logs are bigger with more room to fit the direct mount and the log has more volume and flows more...The chambers are also larger on the large log head about 62cc verses about 52 for the small log heads, except the late model large log 170 that is about 52cc...The best head is the last model ''hex'' head with the largest volume, it is a little harder to do the direct because it is is not as flat as the earlier large log, we call those flat tops..Star Diego used the ''Hex'' head on his direct mount and had good results.
These cars are old, it is possible that someone put a large log head on your engine or even a late model engine...Do you know for sure what head you have
I Looked at some old pictures and the casting number is C6DE-6090

Timmy66":2547bag9 said:
Probably lower rpm I want a street strip car and I don’t think these motors gain much after 5k do they
Not with the early stock head like yours.
That's why I was thinking full boost between 2000 and 5500 rpm.
The turbo will let you push the rpm some.
The reason for asking is for the camshaft profile which will also determine turbocharger size.

pmuller9":unai7125 said:
Timmy66":unai7125 said:
Not with the early stock head like yours.
That's why I was thinking full boost between 2000 and 5500 rpm.
The turbo will let you push the rpm some.
The reason for asking is for the camshaft profile which will also determine turbocharger size.
When he order the pistons the info card I posted earlier says he put cam profile as 32

Timmy66":2wgw0xs4 said:
No but I take it that’s the profile the machinist is figuring for
I am not familiar with what "cam profile 32" means.
Will you be the one ordering the camshaft?

pmuller9":1rljh13v said:
Timmy66":1rljh13v said:
No but I take it that’s the profile the machinist is figuring for
I am not familiar with what "cam profile 32" means.
Will you be the one ordering the camshaft?
Not entirely sure about that he had talked about getting one custom ground but he hasn’t mentioned it In a while

It will need to be a custom cam.
I'm assuming you will use the stock exhaust manifold?

The cam profile should look close to this one that is used on the 300 six.

[image]https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3xw9p7ds0fye1t/Crower%20Cam2.jpg?raw=1[/image]

pmuller9":2mc85x46 said:
It will need to be a custom cam.
I'm assuming you will use the stock exhaust manifold?

The cam profile should look close to this one that is used on the 300 six.

[image]https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3xw9p7ds0fye1t/Crower%20Cam2.jpg?raw=1[/image]
I know I’m going to keep complicating things but I was planning on doing a header because I thought after all this work it would be counter intuitive to put the stock manifold on it i guess this also brings up if I should just hack off the log and make a 2 barrel intake since it will be about impossible to direct mount

The stock exhaust manifold is very restrictive for turbocharging.
A turbo exhaust manifold with individual tubes gives much better results.

I'm sure you've seen this great set-up on 67Straightsix 200 six.
viewtopic.php?p=571912#p571912

[image]https://imageshack.com/i/p311VtSBj[/image]
[image]https://imageshack.com/i/p3Ogt7PCj[/image]

pmuller9":1icnqpbe said:
The stock exhaust manifold is very restrictive for turbocharging.
A turbo exhaust manifold with individual tubes gives much better results.

I'm sure you've seen this great set-up on 67Straightsix 200 six.
https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?p=571912#p571912

[image]https://imageshack.com/i/p311VtSBj[/image]
[image]https://imageshack.com/i/p3Ogt7PCj[/image]
I’ve seen that setup I think something like that is a bit above my skill set but as mentioned earlier moving the turbo to the other side of the engine sounds like a good idea so I was thinking you could do a 3-2-1 style header with a 90 under the pan and bolt a pipe to it that goes to the drivers side if there is space to get the heat away from the intake

So I did som thinking with about the the head and with the issue of compression and then not being able to mount a carb(EFI) efficiently I stopped and in and talked to my machinist he yet again was not concerned with compression but though I would be way better off buying a later head to do the direct mount vs milling off and building an intake and he liked the bigger intake and combustion chamber because it will flow more air and make more power so if it’s for all the right reason or not I have him talked into swapping on a large log head his only concern was if on the latter head the valves where any different not the face size because we have the 289 valves which should still be bigger but as far as length diameter of the stem and locking groove and would this remanufactured head be a good candidate for a direct mount
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2F31/10002/-1

The later head has 1.750" diameter intake valves and the same 1.380" exhaust.
Length and stem diameter are the same.

Looks like a good candidate.

pmuller9":24ph97zv said:
The later head has 1.750" diameter intake valves and the same 1.380" exhaust.
Length and stem diameter are the same.

Looks like a good candidate.
Ok thank you I will go ahead and order it I should have done it earlier but with only valve guides installed in my head it was worth while to just go for a new head that fixed two of my biggest concerns intake and compression I’m sure your glad I finally gave in to it I can be stubborn

Update: ATK says they do not have and cannot find cores I am now searching for a 77 and later head and not having much luck I will try to post something about looking for one what’s the best approach to that

Back