Any advice on building a 200ci for a turbo?

Timmy66

I have a 66 mustang with a 200ci inline 6 and just finished tearing it down yesterday the bottom end is stock but near perfect I’m wanting to run 10lbs of boost on it but I don’t know if the stock bottom end will handle it or not also wondering what kind of cam I should run

pmuller9":1z0sqh10 said:
Do you have a turbocharger that you want to use?
Yes it’s a T3/T4 ebay turbo which I know isn’t top of the line but I think it will work for what I want it to do

Timmy66":2bb9a298 said:
pmuller9":2bb9a298 said:
Yes it’s a T3/T4 ebay turbo which I know isn’t top of the line but I think it will work for what I want it to do

Do you happen to know what the compressor inducer size is?
You can measure the inlet size right at the impellor blades to get a close sizing.
The biggest you should use with a stock 200 six is 47mm.

If you want good turbo response from low rpm use a cam that has an .050" duration in the low 200s
The closest off the shelf is the Schneider 256H

pmuller9":273mxees said:
Timmy66":273mxees said:
pmuller9":273mxees said:

Do you happen to know what the compressor inducer size is?
You can measure the inlet size right at the impellor blades to get a close sizing.
The biggest you should use with a stock 200 six is 47mm.

If you want good turbo response from low rpm use a cam that has an .050" duration in the low 200s
The closest off the shelf is the Schneider 256H
The turbo I was planning on using from what I measured is a 76mm so Is there any chance I can run it or do I need to start looking for a new one

Just a heads up if anything I ask seems like a dumb question it’s probably because this is the first engine I’ve built I’m 16 I’ve been working on it since I was 13 and finally just started seeing that you can hop up these old six cylinders and I think there a lot more unique than the v8 swaps everyone else has

Thanks for letting us know where you stand as far as experience.
Doing a turbocharged engine as a first time project is ambitious.
There are several 200 six turbo builds on this forum and plenty help available.

I think that most will advise a two step approach.
Build the engine with the turbo in mind but get it running first without then add the turbo later.

Meanwhile study pages 6 through 12 from this Garrett turbo catalog and ask a lot of questions.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddqnkqmf0yjrp ... .pdf?raw=1

A 76mm compressor inducer size turbocharger is way too big for your engine.

What transmission do you have?

pmuller9":2hp37uvx said:

Build the engine with the turbo in mind but get it running first without then add the turbo later.

Meanwhile study pages 6 through 12 from this Garrett turbo catalog and ask a lot of questions.

I have the stock c4 but I’m going to do the t5 conversion

pmuller9":2dqa9jfh said:

Also just wanting to know what is the problem with a 76mm the one I got came from a kit for a 2.3 or 2.5 ford duratec which is a 4 cylinder

I have a 66 mustang with a 200ci inline 6 and just finished tearing it down yesterday the bottom end is stock but near perfect I’m wanting to run 10lbs of boost on it but I don’t know if the stock bottom end will handle it or not also wondering what kind of cam I should run

Ambitious project ! , a well built stock bottom end should be able to handle @ 10lbs of boost but consider as a whole forced induction package is needed. The specific turbo is a small part , the basic bottom end is a good start. reciprocating components, fuel , Ignition , cooling and simply fitting setup under the hood are equal considerations .

plenty of advice available good and questionable, read the theory and practices, do the math, then build what you can afford...

the TURBO bible:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... pXub5loEgU

https://books.google.com/books?id=pewyJ ... ia&f=false

------

have fun

powerband":mf2mbwhk said:

Ambitious project ! , a well built stock bottom end should be able to handle @ 10lbs of boost but consider as a whole forced induction package is needed. The specific turbo is a small part , the basic bottom end is a good start. reciprocating components, fuel , Ignition , cooling and simply fitting setup under the hood are equal considerations .

plenty of advice available good and questionable, read the theory and practices, do the math, then build what you can afford...

the TURBO bible:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... pXub5loEgU

https://books.google.com/books?id=pewyJ ... ia&f=false

------

have fun
Thanks plan on doing a lot to the car getting it ready I know you can’t just throw a turbo on an engine and go with it as nice as that would be

Timmy66":s8154mj7 said:
Also just wanting to know what is the problem with a 76mm the one I got came from a kit for a 2.3 or 2.5 ford duratec which is a 4 cylinder

The Ebay 2.5 Ford Duratec turbo kit has a 50mm compressor inducer diameter which will work.
The compressor exducer is 76mm and is not the demension used when specifying the turbo size.

The compressor inducer and inlet size is one of the main factors that determines how much airflow can be pulled into the turbochargers compressor.

So you are good as far as turbo size.

pmuller9":2sa8j82u said:
Timmy66":2sa8j82u said:

The Ebay 2.5 Ford Duratec turbo kit has a 50mm compressor inducer diameter which will work.
The compressor exducer is 76mm and is not the demension used when specifying the turbo size.

The compressor inducer and inlet size is one of the main factors that determines how much airflow can be pulled into the turbochargers compressor.

ok that’s good because I wasn’t really looking forward to trying to find another affordable turbo for my budget beings I already had one I guess I just got the wrong measurement still learning things that was one thing throughout this project was to learn new things I’ve been looking forward to building my first engine but knew there would be a lot of things to learn from it and in the end I will have a fun weekend hot rod

One of the things that will help your project is if you can find a 1977 and later 200/250 head.
It will have a larger volume intake log/manifold and larger intake valve for better airflow along with a larger combustion chamber.
The larger combustion chamber will lower the compression ratio down from the present 9.2 so you can run 10 lbs of boost without worry of detonation.

pmuller9":5jjx05rw said:
Timmy66":5jjx05rw said:

I was also wanting to put the roller rockers on it from vintage inlines I know they are a high ratio but would they still work for me with that cam you mentioned earlier and a new cylinder head like you mentioned

Keep asking questions - the more you ask the more you'll learn. The people on this forum are very knowledgeable.
The bottom end of the 200 is solid. The pistons are the weakest link, but as many people have shown, the stock block can take boost.
Two things I would recommend are: use arp bolts for the head and connecting rods (some machine work is required for the con rods)
If you can use a better piston.

Something that I've learned is before you start; make a plan (ie., drag, race, street - what rpms will the car run at 80% of the time) Then stick with that plan! That will make your build much simpler and straight forward . Good luck - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

67Straightsix":109at5b4 said:
Keep asking questions - the more you ask the more you'll learn. The people on this forum are very knowledgeable.
The bottom end of the 200 is solid. The pistons are the weakest link, but as many people have shown, the stock block can take boost.
Two things I would recommend are: use arp bolts for the head and connecting rods (some machine work is required for the con rods)
If you can use a better piston.

Something that I've learned is before you start; make a plan (ie., drag, race, street - what rpms will the car run at 80% of the time) Then stick with that plan! That will make your build much simpler and straight forward . Good luck - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
I’m wanting a street and strip car something that can be driven on the street but can run the strip on weekends

Before you decide on pistons the cylinder head should be completed first
This way you will know what the combustion chamber volume is which will determine the dish volume in the piston and the piston height in the cylinder.
Normally your piston is around .020" from the top of the cylinder at TDC.

Do you have a machine shop to do the work on the head, block and crank?

pmuller9":1ed63qw8 said:
Before you decide on pistons the cylinder head should be completed first
This way you will know what the combustion chamber volume is which will determine the dish volume in the piston and the piston height in the cylinder.
Normally your piston is around .020" from the top of the cylinder at TDC.

Do you have a machine shop to do the work on the head, block and crank?
I have a machine shop local that will do any of the machining that needs done I haven’t figured out what all I need done yet so I haven’t talked to them but they’ll do about anything I’ll need for the engine

The block needs to go to the shop to be cleaned and inspected.
You need to know how far the block needs to be bored to get the cylinder walls straight again and the proper clearance for new pistons.

The crank needs to be cleaned and inspected for cracks and trueness and to see how much needs to be machined off the journals to get them sized and polished for new bearings.

I suggested using the 1977 and later big log, big valve head but that's up to you.
Whatever head you use it needs to be cleaned inspected and rebuilt.
The head will need a valve job and if the valve guides are worn they will need to be done.
Valve stem seals and new valve springs and retainers depending on what cam is used.

The stock rods will need to be cleaned and inspected for cracks then resized using ARP rod bolts.
You have the option of polishing the rod beam which includes grinding off the forging lines then having them shot peened for strength.

You will want to use a forged piston.
History shows that the original intent to use a certain boost is always met with "Let's try a little more"

Back