Turbo J pipe suggested gauge / wall thickness?

62Cometman

Im wondering what yalls suggestion would be for a guage or wall thickness of piping to use as a j pipe to support a t3/t4 turbo. I weighed the turbo by itself at 14 lbs. I figured that the extra hoses and other small misc stuff would add potentially another 1.5-2 lbs max but then the down pipe would be the big factor is this instance. Do you think 16 gauge would be enough, would 11 gauge which comes out to be roughly 1/8 wall thickness be better? im gonna be using the stock style manifold with a trussed 2 bolt flange to the standard T4 flange. What are you guys running?

Shock towers are a limitation on most Ford cars for turbo placement at exhaust outlet. I used pre-bend 2" exhaust and helped support the Turbo setup with struts to the head lift bracket, also an expansion joint allowing for thermal expansion to keep gaskets intact .

haev fun

Keep in mind the turbo oil drain needs when planing the mounting and piping of the turbo.

Good Point ! .

Most forced induction SC or Turbo will need rising rate fuel pressure referenced to the boost pressure with electric fuel pump, making mechanical FP blockoff plate available for a port.

... The BOP draw-thru in pics drained into valve cover but when oil psi increased at rpm', it would return a lot of oil. Current supercharger setup drains 3/4" line tapped into oil pan. SC setup currently uses FP blockoff plate tapped for added 3/4" direct venting of crankcase under boost. (The Turbo Draw-Thru setups carburetor is not pressurized and can use a constant pressure mechanical fuel pump )

( the little lump on pan below port is a super strong magnet where SC oil feed returns. )

Don't over think it. I used regular old exhaust pipe. If its gonna crack its gonna crack from heat expansion and changes, not because of weight. Vibration is a factor too, but again you cant plan to exactness for whatever frequency is going to make it crack. Just gotta trial and error it.
Link to my build viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75863

Post 5 shows the regular old exhaust pipe poop-welded to a t3/4 flange.

Here are old pictures (and one current complete photo) of my current 351w setup. Its all together now, and as you can see, all the hotside is scrap exhaust pipe. Nothing special. Off that t4 flange hangs a big old 78mm turbo. No hard mount to the engine or anything. Haven't cracked yet and its got 3000 miles on the setup as-is.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1501833033957.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501833033957.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 106
  • FB_IMG_1501833162976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501833162976.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 106
  • FB_IMG_1501833092575.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501833092575.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 20180927_202326.jpg
    20180927_202326.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 106
Its Deranged! (y)

80 thou Ford Explorer v6 or V8 exhaust pipe was mendrel formed and is simply excellent to use. :unsure: If ts not from the Rust Belt...lincs200 the source of that info :nod:

I would like to see more taper but flow is not as important on the inducer side as the exducer side...May be easier to go with a thick flange and blend the flange from the 2'' to the turbo inlet to fit , less welding and stronger seal.

Back