Turbo 4.9 f150

Twinturbor

I was asked to share my build for those who might be interested in an efi turbo setup.
89 4.9
Ported head with air injection plugs
Gutted upper intake
75mm single throttle body
Head studs
Forged dss pistons
Howard's cam
Comp cams springs
Ms2 extra ecu
47# injectors
35psi fuel regulator
370lph pump
Gt35 turbo
Hand made up pipes
50mm wastegate
3.5" downpipe out the hood
5sp manual
Custom ram clutch
Ladder bars
Et street r tires

Nothing fancy but it moves my 4700lb truck at a good pace

Here are some pics before I took it apart to freshen it up

Attachments

• Message_1552785824152.jpg
    Message_1552785824152.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 358
  • 20181126_164237.jpg
    20181126_164237.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 358
Pretty sweet... I’m wondering if a obs 7.3 turbo with a .84 exhaust housing would work on a build I’d like to do

Based on displacement you would need to rev way past what a stock cam could do. But if you could come close to 6k it might work

I guess I could do a rrfpr, msd 6 btm for timing under boost, and like 24 lb injectors and keep it under 7psi with an hx35. How would you rate the mega squirt for a newbie like myself I’ve never seen or used anything like it before

That's a good looking job. How is it as a daily driver?
I'm contemplating a milder version with twin K14 turbos. Expecting rev limit around 4500.

The megasquirt is pretty easy if you understand engine basics. Just don't get greedy with the timing and you should be safe. And as a daily driver...... Before I was making gobbs of power it was great. My problem is I'm using a 5sp so a clutch that can handle all the tq is kinda touchy in traffic. With an auto it would be fine. My truck has a serious drinking problem though

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the M5OD-R2 transmission or something else? As I will be using the M5 that came with the truck. Good comment on the clutch tho. Hopefully with a milder engine I can get away with a lighter clutch. I'm also planning to use Megasquirt and have a couple of friends here that have experience with MS2 and MS3.

I have the mdo5-r2 as well. I've heard its weak but mine is going strong. The only thing I've done to it is change from atf to a 5-20 motor oil. My megasquirt hookup only took 3hrs so its an easy swap over

Pretty sure I just tried to post this but it didn’t go. Is a 5psi daily driver capable with only an hx35, msd ignition with the boost timing master, 24 lb injectors, and a boost referenced fuel regulator? I have the e4od and eventually the stage 4 converter from revmax....
Thanks,
John

You should have no problems with that. I would recommend at least a 30# injector though. Go heavy on the fuel system. You will be glad you did

So basically I can get away with the factory ecu and it’s settings, as long as I retard the timing and figure out the right fuel pressure so it isn’t rich at idle etc etc

The factory ecu is maxed out due to being tuned for such a small injector. I have already tried to work around it. You can get a used megasquirt cheap if you can't get a new one. I'm happy to help with any needs you have. Just pm me. I will send you a tune and all you have to do is change the injector size and do some minor changes to the fuel trim but it should start and run from there.

Nice looking build! Will paint my next long block silver i think also. Any chance you could share a dyno graph?

Twinturbor":ejxw5s3o said:
The factory ecu is maxed out due to being tuned for such a small injector. I have already tried to work around it. You can get a used megasquirt cheap if you can't get a new one. I'm happy to help with any needs you have. Just pm me. I will send you a tune and all you have to do is change the injector size and do some minor changes to the fuel trim but it should start and run from there.
If you're offering your tune that I could use as a baseline, I would be most grateful. If it can be linked from here to something like dropbox so anyone can access it that would be great. otherwise my email is jgregg at vip dot net.

I will send a tune sometime next week. I'm headed out of town with the wife this weekend and I will look for an ms2 out here where I'm at and let you know what I find

Here is a comparison pic for a stock spring next to the upgraded one on the right

Attachments

• 20190423_163954.jpg
    20190423_163954.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 235
Twinturbor":1qo9b6xj said:
Here are some pics before I took it apart to freshen it up
file.php

I like the way you've modified the intake plenum and adapted the single throat throttle body. I picked up a spare plenum manifold today and a throttle body and would like to do the same modification. Can you provide any more details and maybe photos that would save me guessing. Like did you have to weld in top and bottom plates behind the TB flange to allow opening it up?

I don't have the pics on this phone anymore but I will send a pm your way with some details and how to get some pictures

Back