Merrylegs

Interesting. I’ll have to see what I can fit. Should I figure out the exhaust manifold before choosing exhaust valve size?

I picked up a perfect truck for this project. I found a 2wd 1985 F250 out in Tacoma. 107k on the tach, nice interior, absolutely rust free. It snows enough there that 2wd trucks often get parked for the winter and the cloudy weather really saves the dash pads. The people that I got it from said it had an Edgar Allan Poe poem written down both sides of it and the guy they bought it from was selling it because “it was time read something else”. They only wanted $1700 for Edgar... I gave them 1800 for holding onto it and being good honest folks.

Nice truck!

The exhaust valve needs to be the same length as the intake valve so if you do a Chevy 1.84" intake that is 4.911" long then the exhaust valve should be close to the same.
You may find that the only exhaust valves that are close to that length have a 1.600" diameter so your exhaust valve size may depend on the intake valve size.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Lazy JW. It’s getting hard to find older trucks that are fairly in touched. I think this one survived because is so basic. I see potential.

So I’m realizing that mounting the turbo in the standard location might not work for me. It looks like a better spot would be under the alternator.

Twin scroll is still possible. I’m working on simplifying the manifold. How important is an equal length manifold? I can make the front 3 and back 3 pretty close, but it is more tubing.

Here is my current engine bay.

If you are still doing a log style manifold, if the primary tubes that go to the log are close to the same length then that is sufficient.

The secondary length is not as important and has to take a backseat to packaging considerations.
Yes, Ideally it would be nice if both logs had the same volume but don't worry about it especially since the two stay isolated in order to feed a twin scroll turbine.
Hooker didn't seem to care on their LS turbo manifold and it got good test results.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-ho ... manifolds/

Sdiesel

Im definitely going to have a get a little creative. I’m trying to keep the plumping short for a quick response. I’m also trying to keep radiant heat to a minimum around the shocks and injectors.

I’m working on some ideas using a 3D modeling program. I’ll post a screen shot when I think I found something that will work. Kicking ideas back and forth between people often sparks better ideas.

I went through about six different designs and ended up on this one. It's still rough and without actually mocking it up I wont know if it works. The packaging limitations I have are about 8" vertical and 12" out off the block and the primary off of cylinder 1 must 90 down and 90 back hard to clear the water pump and alternator bracket. Another thing to consider is IF I am sticking with the twin scroll design, I must leave room for two waste grates. keeping heat as far away from the shocks and injectors is ideal.

This all leads me to believe that under the alternator would be the best turbo location. Does anyone think that will be a problem? Love to hear some feed back.

Is there room down by the starter?
The wastegates can be anywhere. They do not need to be close to the turbocharger.

I can fit it but it will be just about as close to the floor/fire wall, plastic heater box.

I can come off of cylinder #3 and heat shroud the shock tower. The engine mount is right under that area so fitting the nice bends from primary to collector becomes almost impossible. The manifold would look much like the HD log style.

Regarding my comment about the waste gates, I was trying to fit them in after all three primaries were collected.

Do you remember how much the coating was?

A turbo blanket should suffice and is inexpensive. It will accelerate rust in my wet climate. But my experience with coating and a SS shield is its still very hot.

Under the alternator looks like a good place.
It was over 10 years ago for the turbo coating so even if I remembered that cost it wouldn't be relevent.
There are some really good blankets as guhfluh pointed out.

The wastegates on the 49 Ford were under the car while the turbochargers were high next to the engine as shown.
You can have long pipes going from the collectors to the wastegates.

I also want to mention, I was looking at my engines a day or so ago, looking at where would be a good place for the turbo and piping, and I also thought that below the alternator would be a good place, but that it is a tight fit with my v-belt drive mounting. Looking at the serpentine belt mounting and bracketry on my spare engine moves the alternator up more for the stock smog pump to fit underneath and should free up space nicely if the smog pump is removed and bracket trimmed accordingly.

Id like to thank both of you for the input. This has been one of those things that I think about too often. My wife catches me "fake listening" all the time. She gives me that look, and says"Well Wes, is it turbos or suspensions?".

Wrapping under and into the driver side would be tight with a front driveshaft. Thinking about heat and operating conditions, It would probably be best to keep a hot turbo from getting splashed with ice water. That rules out many of the under mount options. Piping also just gets to be too much for me at that point, and Id rather go log intake/exhaust and keep the plumbing short and sweet.

If both of you think under the alternator will work, then that makes it an easy decision. A turbo blanket with a $70 ceramic coating to cut down corrosion and heat sounds like money well spent.

Do you think I will still have a vapor lock hurdle?

If the turbo is under the alternator, will the oil return line from the turbo be above the top of the oil pan?

Yes but only by a few inches. If you look at the picture in post #30, it is taken about where the center of the turbo can live. It might be an inch or two lower than if I came right off an HD manifold.

Coming right off of cylinder #2 should put the compressor side under the alternator.

Back