Torino Wagon Turbo 250 build

ldm314

Getting the parts together for my turbo 250 build. It is a stock 250 with 150K miles on it. My goal is to make it work with the low quality parts that I'm ordering. First going to be using a T04E 67 trim Ebay turbo. The carb is a ProComp 2 barrel. Spectre carb hat and a downtube from Ebay. I'm going to be creating a J tube with some 2.5" U bends, a 2.5 to 2" adapter, bolted to the stock exhaust manifold. Welding with my Harbor Freight flux core machine.

xFVvELA.png

Parts are slowing coming in.

bMGROUo.png

fxiny8Y.jpg

9wexTXQ.png

dz21wTL.png

My goal is to make it work with the low quality parts ...

.. as opposed to high price - low quality parts? -

You're off to a great start with the basics for the 250 turbo conversion. I'll be following, 'been working on my (low cost) forced induction 250 Maverick for a few years and I'm at least half done ... 8)

> with abundant turbo/SC parts and info for current cars, there are plenty of 'low quality' (low cost) used/usable forced induction options available for the motivated...

a few basic low boost FI considerations ($) :
; boost referenced fuel supply usually with return from bypass regulator to tank.
; ignition control of spark advance under boost.
; AFR monitoring - especially initial tuning .

... for high boost / performance there are a a whole other set of considerations...

creating a J tube with some 2.5" U bends, a 2.5 to 2" adapter, bolted to the stock exhaust manifold. Welding with my Harbor Freight flux core machine.

may want to add flex ftg's for thermal cycling:

hav efun

Thanks for the tips. My first step is going to be to switch to the new carb and get it running well. For ignition I have a generic replacement distributor with a vacuum advance. I plan to try and modify it to provide advance at vacuum and pull some out on boost.

Fuel system wise I first am going to try to boost reference the stock fuel pump. If that doesn't work, and electric pump with a blocking boost reference regulator.

I'm hoping to "finish" this project over a few weeks to a few months. I like driving the wagon around town and usually drive it every day. We will see if the weather cooperates here too...

::

Good when possible to get the new carb running well NA before the blower conversion.The Blow Thru mods wont eliminate NA operation, just not optimized.

Referencing the OEM mechanical pump is ambitious, of course vintage Draw-Thru turbo setups don't need boost referenced fuel pressure ...

The DS-II distributors of mid 70's already have very limited mechanical advance and is easily modified.

Nice Torino ! , the once scorned more-door / long-roof 4dr wagons' are getting respect these days'.

have fun

Just ordered this short flex pipe for the J pipe. I have a turbo kit for a VW engine in pieces in my basement also. Hoping to reuse some parts from it if I can.

S61lAbw.png

'
'
Hoping to reuse some parts from it if I can.

The Blow-Off valve on my 250 is re-purposed Subaru WRX item ...

This project is still underway. First thing I need to find a throttle cable kit for the Torino. It looks like some lever system currently. In the meantime I've been driving it around as my daily.

The real first step is done. I added a fuse panel and upgraded the headlights to draw power through it with a relay. The next few circuits connected to this box will include the new distributor and electric fans.

pmuller9":2em40z6r said:
How are you going to retard the timing as boost increases?

I am going to use the vacuum advance to do it and run it off manifold vacuum/boost. First adjust the vacuum advance to apply more advance than usual. Then limit the range of the mechanical advance to about half it's normal travel. Idle and cruising will have higher manifold vacuum and higher advance. Once boost comes in, the vacuum advance goes to zero and is limited to the mechanical only.

You could also run a MSD 6BTM box specifically designed for boost applications that electronically retards ignition based on boost pressure, their instructions show you how to wire up with and HEI based distributor. Would highly recommend.

62Cometman":1oq2cqgz said:
You could also run a MSD 6BTM box specifically designed for boost applications that electronically retards ignition based on boost pressure, their instructions show you how to wire up with and HEI based distributor. Would highly recommend.

Definitely going with that if this doesn't work out. I've been happy with the MSD 6A in my other torino for a long time now. This weekend I am going to try a throttle cable conversion and mount the new carb. Hopefully I can get the C4 kickdown working, otherwise that is going to be disconnected and I'll shift the C4 manually until I can get a cable kit for that.

Ran into a roadblock today, this carb adapter doesn't seem to work very well. The only way it really mounts is with the carb backwards. Looks like to use this one I will need to heavily modify the linkage and fuel line. I've ordered the adapter from vintage inlines that mounts the carb 90 degrees from this.

97aM6FR.jpg

Got a new carb spacer today but still a few snags. Throttle cable was too short to reach with the fuel bowl pointing to the passenger side. Can't flip around because then the fuel bowl hits the valve cover. Ordered today a 1/2" spacer which will let me mount it without hitting the valve cover.

A couple of pictures of the Vintage Inlines adapter. The insert is a very snug fit, you have to get the bolts turned just right. I'll have to loctite the allen bolts or find some with smaller heads when I do the final assembly. I also plan to remove the valve cover, clean and paint it. The gasket is leaking oil and I have a new one ready.

EbG4UN0.jpg

YOixTEa.jpg

Another day of parts arriving! I've ditched the idea of using a mechanical pump and have bought a Holley Blue pump and a dead head rising rate regulator. The pump is supposedly able to put out 16PSI. I plan to run only 8-10PSI boost so it should be plenty powerful.

Carb mounting is still being quite tricky. With the adapter, 1/2" spacer, and carb hat on there is more fitment issues. The linkage looks like it is in a good spot as well as the fuel line. Now the hood wont close :(

0j0zlqM.jpg

One simple option , cut a hole.

... actually I kept original grabber hood and used the parts' Comet GT 'front clip' for the teardrop. Comet GT has a nonfunctional scoop but wasn't tall enough to clear. :

have fun

The new carb cat looks to work. It gives enough clearance for the hood. I've read some reviews saying this low profile one is too small, but that is with people running big engines and high HP. I'm hoping for 150-200HP in the end, 200 might be hard to hit but I should get 150 easy.

For now though I'm going to get the linkage set up, put a cone air filter on and get some tuning time. I have new proper size plug wires and will be taking off the valve cover and cleaning it up. New PCV and valve cover gaskets need installed and it will give me a chance to check the condition of the of the top end. Based on the condition of the car, I'd say the motor already has 140k miles on it.

1oBr7iE.jpg

Back