Econoline small 6 draw through turbo kit on eBay.

Looks very well layed out turbo conversion with quality components for the cost. Many 50's/ 60's aftermarket Carb'd - Draw-Through conversion 'Kits' claimed bolt-on 2+ X stock HP, just like current bolt-on E-Bay turbo's'. MacInnes in archive "TURBOCHARGERS" does not favor Blow-Through over Draw-Through turbo configurations for performance..

Ford, GM, Dodge (Shelby) all released consumer Draw-Thru (carbd') turbo performance cars but warranty limited performance until practical EFI and computer timing control became simple- - like real-time AFR gauges instead of 'reading plugs' ...

A Draw-Through conversion advantage not often considered is that the Carburetor fuel bowl is not pressurized so early cars with typical single Fuel line - tank to mechanical pump can be used without Boost-referenced / bypass / return fuel pressure system that blow-through carburetor's and EFI require.
From a parallel post: How are you going to retard the timing as boost increases?, reliable Ignition control is still not a simple inexpensive component necessary in the boost conversion.

have fun

Another advantage with a draw-through is that you don't need a blow-off valve.

Interesting kit, I'm really curious about exactly how the exhaust is piped from the header to the turbo...

This is a super cool idea, my biggest worry would be hood clearance on a comet or falcon setup. That looks rather tall to me and would interested if they have a measurement from the top of the intake to the top of the turbo, i could be pursuaded to cut a hole in my hood to make the turbo fit :LOL: :LOL: I am also interested to see what the hot side looks like and how they have the turbo supported :unsure:

The Buick - Olds - Pontiac Division of GM along with a few Chevys offered OEM Factory Draw-Thru turbocharged cars and the BOP V6 was continually performance upgraded through the Grand National T-Type terrors in the 80's. The BOP V6 is another 60's pushrod six with a devoted fan base.

... in MacInnes' book, there are Dyno HP results for Log 250 bolt-on Draw-Thru turbo system that uses a thicker head gasket for reducing CR. At 4000 RPM the system claimed 88 HP NATURALLY ASPIRATED and 191 HP (@14lbs 1bar) with the T3 TC setup.

I used the similar Buick (BOP) DrawThru setup with comparative results. Instead of starting from scratch, I adapted the 231cid pushrod six BOP turbo setup on a Maverick 250 small block six. The Draw-Thru setup needs specific turbo and specific built carb mated for draw-thru performance.

--

The 250 turbo Maverick needed the hole in the hood. 250 is almost 2" taller than 200/170's. . ( turbo/carb plenum supported with head brackets and block brackets and exh. thermal expansion fittings .)
. .

Buick turbo mocked up on 63 Falcon 170 almost fit under hood
. .

have fun

kjacobson351":154oz702 said:
I appreciate your advice in the supercharger planning thread. I found this kit on eBay and it's so damn affordable it's having me reconsidering my plans .

I've never seen a draw through system on a Ford 6, what are your thoughts on this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2945000923

Looks like a nice kit that's fairly complete it would also be quick to instal too. Good luck (y) :nod: (y)

... in MacInnes' book, there are Dyno HP results for Log 250 bolt-on Draw-Thru turbo system that uses a thicker head gasket for reducing CR. At 4000 RPM the system claimed 88 HP NATURALLY ASPIRATED and 191 HP (@14lbs 1bar) with the T3 TC setup.

.. here's the 'dyno' on similar vintage Draw-Through Turbo conversion kit described in MacInnes's book".

Note peak 191 HP @ 4000RPM at @ 1Bar (14psi).

More re. Draw-Through vs. Blow-Through.

Ak Miller claimed that some good draw-through systems could actually increase (street driving) fuel mileage a bit (and potentially lower some emissions), due to superior fuel atomization over the same engine running naturally-aspirated OR with a blow-through turbo setup, while a blow-through system could be counted on to use more fuel than stock n.a.

Though Ak sold both styles of turbo systems, he usually recommended draw-through for street use.

J.R.
SoCal

Back