Importing a 4.0L Engine into the USA

Moderator: Mod Squad

rocklord

Importing a 4.0L Engine into the USA

Post #1 by rocklord » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

After responding to a thread about a Barra engine, I did some more research about importing engines into the US and came up with the following.

In 2010, the EPA came out with regulations covering the importation of vehicles and engines into the United States.
Basically, a vehicle over 25 years old can be imported and licensed for road use without modifications (California excluded).
Bill Gates can now drive his Porsche 959 on the road legally. Yeah! That 2001 Mexican Beetle you're looking at? NO!
An engine over 21 years old can be imported and installed in a vehicle for road use without meeting emission standards (again California excluded).

Here's a quick reference from the US Customs and Border Protection site:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... icle-parts

Because of these regulations, no engine newer than January 1997 (January 2018 minus 21 years), can be imported for road use. There are exceptions for engines used for racing, testing, off-road use, and motorcycles with displacement of 50cc. So, anybody looking to import a 4.0L SOHC or 4.0L DOHC Barra engine are SOL.

I haven't been able to find out if the EPA "grandfathered" engines imported before the regulations went into effect. So, if anyone is looking at purchasing an Intech or Barra engine from an individual or business, be careful. The federal government will confiscate and destroy a vehicle that is in violation of the regulations; as for an engine, who knows.
Dan

Currently Own
1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3Spd
1964 Corvair Coupe, 164CID, 140HP, 4Spd
1961 Corvair Lakewood wagon, 145CID, 80HP, 2Spd Powerglide Auto.
2017 BMW X3, 3.0L Dual Turbo, 300HP, 8-Spd Auto

Thom the Aussie

Re: Importing a 4.0L Engine into the USA

Post #2 by Thom the Aussie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

With the sohc 4.0 being available from 1988 till 2003 you should have a few options for importing most of the sohc 4.0, I haven't been able to find a listing but a couple of years ago I saw some ebay listings with barra engines available brand new in the US as industrial engines, could that be a way around it for some of you guys stateside?

gus91326

Post #3 by gus91326 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

But if said engine was to be used in a track car, we would be ok?

CNC-Dude

Post #4 by CNC-Dude » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 am

Based on what was said, I would think so. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to install one in an older hot rod like a Mustang or Maverick. If the car is already registered and titled, i've never had anyone ever ask me at the tag office if the engine is original or not, and most state don't do inspections on vehicles that old. So I would do it.

rocklord

Post #5 by rocklord » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm

CNC-Dude wrote:Based on what was said, I would think so. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to install one in an older hot rod like a Mustang or Maverick. If the car is already registered and titled, i've never had anyone ever ask me at the tag office if the engine is original or not, and most state don't do inspections on vehicles that old. So I would do it.

I agree. I have a 1998+ model AU 4.0L I'm planning to install in my 65 Mustang. I don't the EPA will be following me down the street.

The point is that presently AU and Barra 4.0s on eBay cannot be imported into the United States and installed into road vehicles.
Starting in 2019, AU engines can be legally imported for on-road use.
Starting in late 2023, Barra engines can be legally imported for on-road use.
Dan

Currently Own
1965 Mustang, 200CID, 3Spd
1964 Corvair Coupe, 164CID, 140HP, 4Spd
1961 Corvair Lakewood wagon, 145CID, 80HP, 2Spd Powerglide Auto.
2017 BMW X3, 3.0L Dual Turbo, 300HP, 8-Spd Auto

CNC-Dude

Post #6 by CNC-Dude » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm

rocklord wrote:
CNC-Dude wrote:Based on what was said, I would think so. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to install one in an older hot rod like a Mustang or Maverick. If the car is already registered and titled, i've never had anyone ever ask me at the tag office if the engine is original or not, and most state don't do inspections on vehicles that old. So I would do it.

I agree. I have a 1998+ model AU 4.0L I'm planning to install in my 65 Mustang. I don't the EPA will be following me down the street.

The point is that presently AU and Barra 4.0s on eBay cannot be imported into the United States and installed into road vehicles.

I understand what your saying, but until then who is going to know what your intentions are for using these engines. Nobody here checks or asks whats under the hood they just want their money, at least in my area. Other states may be more strict, but in cars or trucks that are exempt because of age, I don't think they check too much on those either. There are also other sources for these engines besides eBay. I have an Inliner friend from Oz that comes here several times a year and ships me all sorts of goodies when I need them.

67Straightsix

Post #7 by 67Straightsix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 pm

CNC-Dude wrote:
rocklord wrote:

I understand what your saying, but until then who is going to know what your intentions are for using these engines. Nobody here checks or asks whats under the hood they just want their money, at least in my area. Other states may be more strict, but in cars or trucks that are exempt because of age, I don't think they check too much on those either. There are also other sources for these engines besides eBay. I have an Inliner friend from Oz that comes here several times a year and ships me all sorts of goodies when I need them.

I wouldn't be be to worried about installing the engine in an older car, I would be more concerned about getting it though customs without having to verify the engines intended use. It may not be an issue, I'm just paranoid that way.

CNC-Dude

Post #8 by CNC-Dude » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm

That really falls outside the scope of their concern. Their agency only cares about is that the products coming or going into the country aren't on a prohibited list and that the duties and taxes are collected. How or what the products are used for isn't their concern.