Importing a 4.0L Engine into the USA

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
After responding to a thread about a Barra engine, I did some more research about importing engines into the US and came up with the following.

In 2010, the EPA came out with regulations covering the importation of vehicles and engines into the United States.
Basically, a vehicle over 25 years old can be imported and licensed for road use without modifications (California excluded).
Bill Gates can now drive his Porsche 959 on the road legally. Yeah! That 2001 Mexican Beetle you're looking at? NO!
An engine over 21 years old can be imported and installed in a vehicle for road use without meeting emission standards (again California excluded).

Here's a quick reference from the US Customs and Border Protection site:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... icle-parts

Because of these regulations, no engine newer than January 1997 (January 2018 minus 21 years), can be imported for road use. There are exceptions for engines used for racing, testing, off-road use, and motorcycles with displacement of 50cc. So, anybody looking to import a 4.0L SOHC or 4.0L DOHC Barra engine are SOL.

I haven't been able to find out if the EPA "grandfathered" engines imported before the regulations went into effect. So, if anyone is looking at purchasing an Intech or Barra engine from an individual or business, be careful. The federal government will confiscate and destroy a vehicle that is in violation of the regulations; as for an engine, who knows.

With the sohc 4.0 being available from 1988 till 2003 you should have a few options for importing most of the sohc 4.0, I haven't been able to find a listing but a couple of years ago I saw some ebay listings with barra engines available brand new in the US as industrial engines, could that be a way around it for some of you guys stateside?

Based on what was said, I would think so. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to install one in an older hot rod like a Mustang or Maverick. If the car is already registered and titled, i've never had anyone ever ask me at the tag office if the engine is original or not, and most state don't do inspections on vehicles that old. So I would do it.

CNC-Dude":3li5b0sd said:
Based on what was said, I would think so. Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to install one in an older hot rod like a Mustang or Maverick. If the car is already registered and titled, i've never had anyone ever ask me at the tag office if the engine is original or not, and most state don't do inspections on vehicles that old. So I would do it.

I agree. I have a 1998+ model AU 4.0L I'm planning to install in my 65 Mustang. I don't the EPA will be following me down the street.

The point is that presently AU and Barra 4.0s on eBay cannot be imported into the United States and installed into road vehicles.
Starting in 2019, AU engines can be legally imported for on-road use.
Starting in late 2023, Barra engines can be legally imported for on-road use.

rocklord":7pdn9qmq said:
CNC-Dude":7pdn9qmq said:

I agree. I have a 1998+ model AU 4.0L I'm planning to install in my 65 Mustang. I don't the EPA will be following me down the street.

The point is that presently AU and Barra 4.0s on eBay cannot be imported into the United States and installed into road vehicles.

I understand what your saying, but until then who is going to know what your intentions are for using these engines. Nobody here checks or asks whats under the hood they just want their money, at least in my area. Other states may be more strict, but in cars or trucks that are exempt because of age, I don't think they check too much on those either. There are also other sources for these engines besides eBay. I have an Inliner friend from Oz that comes here several times a year and ships me all sorts of goodies when I need them.

CNC-Dude":2xtkznu8 said:
rocklord":2xtkznu8 said:
CNC-Dude":2xtkznu8 said:

I understand what your saying, but until then who is going to know what your intentions are for using these engines. Nobody here checks or asks whats under the hood they just want their money, at least in my area. Other states may be more strict, but in cars or trucks that are exempt because of age, I don't think they check too much on those either. There are also other sources for these engines besides eBay. I have an Inliner friend from Oz that comes here several times a year and ships me all sorts of goodies when I need them.

I wouldn't be be to worried about installing the engine in an older car, I would be more concerned about getting it though customs without having to verify the engines intended use. It may not be an issue, I'm just paranoid that way.

That really falls outside the scope of their concern. Their agency only cares about is that the products coming or going into the country aren't on a prohibited list and that the duties and taxes are collected. How or what the products are used for isn't their concern.

The EPA is hitting the importers hard in keeping newer engines out of the US.
One of the importers of Barra engines, as noted in a previous post, has figured out how to get them into
the US through the loophole of "parts" by breaking them down and selling them as a package.

Here is his most recent eBay auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-0L-24V- ... GY&vxp=mtr

His description:

It has been some time in coming but it is finally here!

Used 2005 Australian Ford Falcon 24 valve 4L "Barra 182" engine, 4 speed automatic transmission, wiring, ECU, fuse box, etc etc, etc. basically everything you need to get this running.

As you can see in the first few pictures I shipped some of these motors into the country complete and there was never an issue then one day US Customs decided they couldn't come in and the ones that were in the container had to be exported so we shipped them to Vancouver, BC Canada - Canadians contact me as I still have some complete ones up there. It was a very, very expensive exercise.

Customs said I can't bring them in complete but there was nothing to stop me bringing them in as parts. So that is what I have done. I have removed the head complete with intakes etc. and shipped them into the country and now ready to be sold.

This was removed from a 2005 BF Falcon with 104,524 miles (168,215km) on the clock. It was painstakingly removed not ripped out by someone that doesn't care. The wires were all disconnected, the loom wasn't cut, all the computers are included etc.

Runs strong, doesn't blow smoke. Accelerates hard. Transmission works fine.

No known issues.

This is a rare opportunity to get one of these motors in the USA.

I would suggest a VRS kit, timing chain kit, water pump and head bolts would be needed to reassemble. I wouldn't bother with the bottom end as these motors are rock solid. I can supply these parts via Air Freight from Australia.

Happy to provide a freight quote. Please send your zip and if it is being shipped to your closest depot, a business with a load dock or a location that requires a lift gate.

Terms of this sale are a $500 deposit via Paypal. The balance via bank deposit/wire transfer to Wells Fargo account.

Please check with your local EPA/DMV-DOL that you can run this motor in your vehicle prior to purchase and reassembly.

thanks Dave.
Dont 4get each state is different (post 1 - 9 only above) AND:

We can now disregard: "...your local ( EPA ) / DMV ( -DOL ) that you can..."
Writer, being from OZ, needed me to cross out the 2 w/in parantheses.
Altho they have not been made in yrs they can now come in (date limit gone by), I bet not for the 5 y/o
price of $500 (and shipping, duties, taxes have gone up too). But this is good for some~

posted 'BS, llc' 4 days ago, no post back ~
Motor a lill too big for most apps I seek.
Were the earlier smaller? How heavy R they?
i8 is my fav, I settle on i6 (like all: Japan, Brits, Contenent).
Oz is tops (even over the 2JZ in my mind). Due to size "the Oz 250
2v iron head" is 4 me. Long gone tho.

Last edited:
Back