Barra 4.0 to a c4 transmission?

and a 4.0 ohc in an Australian 65/66 xp falcon .

the guy recessed the firewall about 1-2 inches and used an electric water pump(located under the expansion tank with green fluid) off to the side feeding into the normal water pump hole to shorten the engine length. the orig water pump was gutted -so essentially just a inlet fitting. and the shaft hole was sealed with a welch/freeze plug.
hard to see but the fan belt doesn't drive the water pump - just from crank pulley to aletrnator

Attachments

• 210920142461.jpg
    210920142461.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • 210920142464.jpg
    210920142464.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 86
Does anyone (like Kennedy Engineering) make an adapter to fit a Barra with a 700R4?

That seems like a great combination, even if just on paper.

Soldmy66":2rvzaptj said:
Does anyone (like Kennedy Engineering) make an adapter to fit a Barra with a 700R4?

That seems like a great combination, even if just on paper.

Kennedy Engineering probably doesn't make an adapter for a Barra since there are so few in the US.

They will make one for the Barra if you have the dimensions, and the cash. ;)

Pete62SOHC is building an AU 4.0 (same bellhousing as the Barra) with a GM 4L60E transmission behind it.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=78578

Rocklord - Thank you - that was nice of you.

I suppose any adapter for the Barra is probably big money.

Pete62SOHC's build is pretty terrific, too.

My fantasy build (when I had a 200) was to back it with a 700R4. Now I have one in my 57 Checy Wagon.

To the OP; go the single cam! :D There's what appears to be a late EL for sale in Washington state right now for $650.00 O.B.O. This is from the same seller that I sourced my AU. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aussie-Ford-Fu ... ctupt=true

QuickTime, Dellow, and Torque Power all make bellhousings to fit the C-4 to this engine, as it shares the same bolt pattern as the Barra engine, hence, any bell for the Barra will also fit a late EL or AU (as well as earlier EA-EL engines with a bit of modification from what I currently understand).

You can use a Yella Terra flexplate for the Barra, as it will fit the Intech also. The YT flexplate features (3) torque converter bolt patterns; 3 x 10.75-inch GM, 4 x 10.50-inch Ford C-4, and 4 x 9.75-inch Ford BTR/ZF.

You could also have a stock flexplate redrilled for the 4 x 10.50-inch Ford C-4 pattern, but stock flexplates are pretty flimsy and known to crack around the mounting holes for crankshaft attachment once you throw some power at them.

Stock single cam internals are typically reliable into the 400-ish flywheel horsepower range as long as the tuning is correct to keep the engine safe and happy.

If you wanted to do a built single cam, you can use a set of Manley connecting rods for the Barra, and Manley can build forged pistons for you. I can give you my piston job number and they can simply duplicate what they built for me.

You can also source head studs, main studs, an MLS head gasket, and bearings all in the US for this engine. The rest of the rebuild parts would have to come from Australia, but it's not a big deal, and shipping isn't as expensive as you might think. I can help you source everything you'll need if you decide to pursue a single cam build. ;)

Also, if you wanted to run an Aussie transmission behind the single cam, I have an original BTR 4-speed overdrive automatic box that you could have. It came with my AU engine. You can source a controller from Shift Kits Australia to run the transmission in stand-alone configuration.

You also have carburetor options if you want to avoid EFI. Aussie Speed Parts offers several carbureted inlet manifold options for the single cam, as well as a distributor conversion for coil-pack style engines (late EL and AU), or you could run a Haltech VMS to run the coil pack ignition along with a carb. Lots of good options!! :D

Back