stock 250 pre x-flow

A

Anonymous

hey, just bought a 74 tc cortina. It has a stock 4.1 pre x-flow motor. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on mods. My old corty had a 350 holly and extractors - went abit harder, but some real go would be nice.

I've spoken to a few people in the past about motor options, to x-flow or not to??? I've heard abit about the 2V head, will this bolt on to my block?

Sides that, don't know much about these motors in terms of performance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Hi mk111cortina,
welcome to the board. If you can find a 2V head (good luck....they're getting as rare as rocking horse droppings....and hence quite expensive!!!) then that should get you a few extra horses. Don't know the quoted figures for the '74 motor, but for my 250ci '71 pre-crossflow the log style head was "officially" rated at 155hp, and the 2V head option was rated 170hp. I say "official" as Ford tended to tweak the figures a bit back then. But the 2V would give you a good increase, and it will bolt straight up.

Have a look in the "tech" section of the fordsix.com site. There are probably a few different options you could choose to get a bit more performance out of the existing pre-crosflow motor. Things like a different camshaft, bigger valves (within reason), an electronic distributor (ie. get rid of the points!) and so on. You could go all the way to doing some serious head porting if you wanted to. There are a lot of things you'd need to consider. You might, for instance get bigger BFYB (Bang For Your Bucks) by dumping the pre-cross flow, and dropping in a more up to date motor which has more power. Comes down to choice, and money! Money and time is always the problem I have, never enough of either!

I've got an XY Falcon with the 250ci pre-cross flow motor, which is badly in need of some TLC and a restoration. I'm hoping to keep the motor and work it a bit if I can. About all I can do at the moment is to "think" about the various possibilities out there. Check the other forum pages as well. Many of the other guys, especially the US guys have done some great work on their cars and motors. (their log-style pre-cross flow motors are the same as ours) Quite a few have websites that detail the work they've done, you might get a few ideas from them.

Ok, I think I've rambled on for a while now so I'd better shut up and go! Hope this is of some help!

Regards,

Teddy :)

Hey Teddy,

Thanks for the advice, looking at losing the points very soon. Almost finished putting in twin thermo fans, manual switch at the moment - trip to a wrecker should fix that.

Spoke to a friend, apparently there is a yellow terra head for this motor? May be able to aquire one quite cheap. need to look into it more.

Quick last question, exhaust size? Picking up some used extractors, need to replace the old system, 2.5 or 3 inch? Also, what side of the motor do the 2v exhaust come out? Don't want a new system to have to replace it it the near future..

Later, Tom.

The 2V has the out on the same side. As for system size - no more than 2½" through to the rear. Single muffler as far back as possible.

The Bosch electronic install is worth doing, but requires a little skill. I can detail this if required. Also, don't just drop in a used dizzy - set it up first.

Anything you plan to do may be tempered by how prepared and equipped you are to DIY, and what the intended budget and usage are.

Yella Terra modified heads with a little chamber work, some mild porting, and larger valves. They no longer do them, and have no stock of heads or valves. :devilish: You can run with a private engine builder for headwork (what city?), or just sit back and watch people's different plans, ways and means reveal themselves as the board recovers.

The rubbish that passes for LRP makes an unleaded reco a good investment, but this is serious bucks.

Regards, Adam.

The old log heads are nice, but you can do so much more with a nice X-flow engine or one of the 4.0's out of an EB, ED or EL, with a bit less cost.

Also if you are not a ford fanatic, the hemi sixes are always nice.

With yella terra, thier manufacturing focus seems to vary alot. Last year they were doing some of the fold ford six heads. This year it became V8's only, and now...nothing...lol.

Well cheers,
Dylan

a turboed 4.1 EFI would get it buzzing

any one remember that article on a XE Ghia or something witha turbo on it?

Discokin6 howd your turbo project go?

cheers smythee

Slightly discouraged by one Department of Transport, Planning and Infrastructure vehicle examiner..

It will be boosted though :p

Hey all,

The turbo sounds very interesting, i managed to drive one of the new turbo xr6 utes the other week, very impressed! The inlet on my motor would be an issue, 2v may solve. Has anyone looked at super charging?

Electric over points is a must. Any info on Kit, part no.s and availability would be greatly appreciated. The install isn't too hard?? I put a similer kit in my old mini a while back.

The budget for a while will be limited, that in mind is it worth putting a holley or similar on this motor? As stated before my old corty had a holley and extr.. The issue again is the cast inlet!

In the near future an entire engine transplant is in order. Have the blocks changed much over time, in relation to mounting points? Has anyone played with other motors (i know this is fordsix.com), the comic idea of the toyota 4age 20 valve or supercharged - 4cyl, working on paper allot faster 0-100 - not much tourqe though..

Anyways. would like to hear about other completed projects...

catch you round...

yeas i have been looking at supercharging my falcon for some time, but have put that idea on hold for the moment as im saving for a ute, but will keep the I6 war horse and will eventually supercharge it with one from an old toyota to increase the boost im thinkkin that ill get my dad (a retired diesel mechanic) to help come up with an overdrive to boost the charger speed a bit, i dont actually want to increase the performance by a huge amount yet, i reckon that if i add 8 pound of boost it should cancel the intake manifold deficit to 0 therefore io reckon giving me 50 to 60 percent more or about 190 to 195 kws

cheers smythee

Hay guys I am in need of a 71-74 austrailian 250 head with the removable intake. This need not be good as a cracked, warped, and or hollow without valves will do since it is going to be a mack up dummy engine to display in a living room. If anyone knows of one or can hook me to a group to find one please help me out.

Shaggy - not too many heads are pure junk! I would suggest you look up the "Early Falcons" user group, or FordForums, and post there. The shipping to USA won't be cheap.

Tom: Electronic ignition - you can go the add-on (Optospark or Pertronix), or fit a rebuilt distributor off an XE, with the XE coil. Hardest part is drilling and tapping a new hole for the distributor hold-down bolt - the Bosch unit has a wider flange which is best left on (don't ask how I know). With all the gear (cordless and a set of three graded taps), expect a three-quarter hour install. Suggest you mount the coil upright on the inner apron, not on the engine.

You will get more power and economy out of this rig. Combined with a carb/adaptor, you won't know the car.

Regards, Adam.

thanks addo, will look into the dizzy... in the general opinion of the forum and yourself what carb is the best...,Keeping the rest stock, extract and exhaust being done......carby for this motor, holly or xe or xf carb?

Don't know if the xe/xf carbs will fit under the bonnet, the 350 holy on old corty did only just fit, left tiny dints in the bonnet from the filter!

Are the x-flow motors the way to go? and what model if so.... a reco motor that had nosiy lifters advert for $100, TE corty....

Probs stick with the current motor for now...... As long as it cruises along, not too many worries.. that's what I love about these motors, very hard to kill!, but I hate my current carb, will have to resolve that! loose the points too!

Thanks again, Tom..

Addo,
I will take one from her in the USA or from Australia as it don't matter to me but I am having to keep my cost as low as possible since it is a non use motor I am building. So if someone comes across a non rebuildable one I will take it.

Shaggy

have the chance to get any bits i want off an 85 falcon motor- guess thats an xf? is it worth getting the carb and dizzy/coil off this motor to put on my pre-x?

later, tom.

Yeah, that's an Xf series one (leaded) engine.

Watch out with that coil and dizzy, as the XF's are electronic ignition, the pre-X-flow's are not.

Asdo that carb is a webber ADM. It's a damn good carbie, well it's better than the stromberg. You will have to deal with a few electronic goddies on the webber though. The carb that came with the automatics, came with a few more sensors and what not.

Have you considered a holley?

hey,

The dizzy is to scrap mine, electronic would be heaps better. I did notice allot of rubbish on the webber - ie sensors, tubes etc... The car it's coming off is manual.

Spoke to the owner, $25 should get me anything I want.....Can't really loose at this price. The motor still runs fine, the rest of the car is dead!

you should see if you can buy the entire engine. Put it up on a stand in the shed, and work the hell out of it. That would be a cool project.

Otherwise buy the carb, just to re-sell it...lol. Sold one a few months ago for $75.

Sorry, I skipped readingh the middle of this thread. You have decided to stick with the pre-Xflow engine? They do look nice when all painted and shiney.

Cheers,
Dylan

going back to uni, so can't pick up the whole motor :cry: , it's always the way! no room....

Due to the uni factor, I'm sticking with the pre-x for now...No time, no money, all the usual student stuff.

But if these bits will fit my motor without too much hassle I'd be quite happy! The car is at a tip! so need to get the parts before they crush it!!!!

another one gone forever!

Later..

Back