250 xflow into XA Falcon?

A

Anonymous

Ok, I have a pretty decent XF Fairmont, which I don't like much, that I want to strip.

I want to get my XA on the road again..

Soooo... I'm guessing that a xflow will drop straight in.
But, the XA is a three speed manual, the XF is an efi auto.

Can I drop the xflow and auto in?
How much trouble am I gonna have?
Can the pedal boxes be swapped?

And:
Can I change over the steering columns?
What about the diff, can they be swapped too?

edit: few more questions.
Can I change that arsehole airbox?
How difficult is it to hook up the computer?
And, the xflow, when first started has great oil pressure, but it drops low as over the course of the day.
Is that a sign the engine may be quite worn?

swapping the xflow into the XA will be no big hassel

engine will bolt in and you may also find (but not 100%) that if you use the xf's auto gearbox crossmember it may bolt to the xa's floor as there wasnt to much change over the years.

computer should not be too much hassel wiring it into the simple XA's wiring. is the auto electronic of a c4 etc???

being efi, you may (most probobly) have to modify your fuel tank to accomidate efi pump, return line etc etc

pedal boxes im unsure of but again there wasnt to much change i dont think over the years so you maybe in luck and an easy swap!

dunno about the diff as xf's were coil (im only guessing) but if its leaf then it will fit

steering coloum i think go in too as im pretty sure ive seen one in an XB before

air box, if its one with the airflow meter you may have to keep it unless you wire up a later model airflow sensor like out of a EB v8 etc

hope this sorta helps you out

Thanks, well, I guess I'm gonna find out the hard way!

I'm not too fussed about the efi, I'll probably end up going carbed or lpg.

Reason I'm changing the steering column is that the XA's is slighty bent and the steering wheel snapped.
I've never, ever ever had to use as much force as I did to get the XA steering wheel off... Holy jesus fickin christ...

How the hell do you get the XA fuel tank out?

I am just starting to install the full EFI setup from a ZL Fairlane into a ZD Fairlane.

Yesterday, I pulled the fuel line setup off the ZL and installed it into the ZD - went in really well - I needed extra clamps to make it good, but I had those in stock.

I'll be using the entire ZL wiring loom and a Steering Column from an XF Wagon or something (to get the column shifter - there is no hole in the ZD floor)

I have already done this conversion on the ZC in my avatar - it's got a carb engine tho...

Using the XF wiring loom makes adapting the column dead easy.

The diff from XF sedans is set up for coil springs, but I am planning to convert one to leaf spring to go in the ZD (and another for the ZC) - should be pretty straightforward since the lower control arms are in the same place as the leaf springs.

If you need any advice on this stuff - just ask

Get an XF manual and an XA manual so you can compare stuff as you go along - especially wiring diagrams if you plan to keep the XA loom and mate the EFI one to it.

I shied away from the EFI when I did the ZC, but I see now that the EFI is actually easier to deal with than a carby...

Thats quite an interesting project you have there!

So an XF steering column will bolt right up?

The XA Wagon dosnt have a hole in the floor either, I'm prepared to cut if nessesary, but definatly rather not!
So, an automatic XD-XF steering column would have the auto shifter on the column?

I've had a good look at the columns on the XA and XF, certainly looks like they would bolt right up. Powersteering on both too.
But then thinking a bit more, would I be able to change over the steering rack and powersteering mechs too?
The XA one is a bit worn out...

Drive shaft?
Will the XA driveshaft go into the XF's C4?
Will I need to shorten or lengthen?

The other issue, is the speedo cable.
The XF has an LCD dash. Problems?

For the wiring, I plan to keep the XA loom and just wire the switchs on the column upto the XA wiring loom.

How complex is the EFI wiring?

Every thing on the XA to XC hard dimension wise was the same as the XD to XF. The floor plan was the same at the front, with a only few changes to the manner in which the chassis rail to trans mount was done. Bu the mount is the same, although they got rid of the extra kink in it when the V8's got ditched in 1983. Steering box swaps over, crossmembers, engine mounts, wire codes are similar.

The XF bench seat steering column swap is total. You get indicator stalks, and the electronic speedo on the BW 40 (not C4) is just a gear drive with a crappy sensor on it. My mate put a 289/Toploader combo in his XF and the electronic speedo hooked right up.

The electronic dash is a bit of a cot case. Wires and some of the hook-ups can short it out. If you wanted to, you could make a finisher pannel and hook it up, as the XA has a recessed speedo pannel.

EFI unit is a separate line, so it's easy to hook up. May have to drill a hole somewhere on the passenger side.

Radiator bolts up too.

LukeNukem":1p8mk55y said:
Thats quite an interesting project you have there!

So an XF steering column will bolt right up?
Not in the ZD - I'll have to carefully grind the mounting bracket off the XF column and use the ZD bolt-on one
Other than that it goes right in
There is an issue with the column length between manual and power steering but you can knock the inner shaft in or out as required to get it the required length

The XA Wagon dosnt have a hole in the floor either, I'm prepared to cut if nessesary, but definatly rather not!
So, an automatic XD-XF steering column would have the auto shifter on the column?

I've had a good look at the columns on the XA and XF, certainly looks like they would bolt right up. Powersteering on both too.
But then thinking a bit more, would I be able to change over the steering rack and powersteering mechs too?
The XA one is a bit worn out...

Drive shaft?
Will the XA driveshaft go into the XF's C4?
Will I need to shorten or lengthen?
As Xecute says, the XF will have a Borg Warner box but the tailshafts are interchangeable

The other issue, is the speedo cable.
The cable on the XA will fit right in - you'll probably have to use the cog from the electronic sender as the BW boxes run their cog under the output shaft whereas the Ford boxes run the cog over the output shaft so the cogs run opposite ways - don't worry, if you try to install the wrong one, it won't go in...

The XF has an LCD dash. Problems?

For the wiring, I plan to keep the XA loom and just wire the switchs on the column upto the XA wiring loom.

How complex is the EFI wiring?
Complete seperate loom - connects to the main loom via a big connector - the wiring diagram will show you what you need to hook up to get it to work - probably not too hard.

The column swithces will probably pose a much larger problem...

One thing I really like about the conversion I am doing is how all the wiring fits perfectly into the ZD - the bung where it goes through the firewall is even the exact same size...

ZC-Cruiser:

Had a look at the column mounting brackets, looks like it might bolt up to the existing XA holes.
I'll find out when I actualy try it though.

And the XF gearbox will end in the same place as the XA?
The XA is a borg warner 3 speed.

Both the XA and XF are power steering, so that should be fine.
Are the steering racks interchangable? (not the bit that the column goes into, the arms that turn the wheels)

I'll be going carbed until I get the fuel lines sorted.
Cant be arsed with it at the moment.

Also looks like I can use the handbrake mechanisms (the bit you pull + the mounting, cable and wheel) to replace the XA's too.

Looking good so far.

Ok, how the fuck did ford fit so much shit under the bonnet?
How do I disconnect the aircon unit/pump safely?

LukeNukem":20rbww9q said:
ZC-Cruiser:

Had a look at the column mounting brackets, looks like it might bolt up to the existing XA holes.
I'll find out when I actualy try it though.
In the ZD, the bracket on the XF column is too wide to go into the space provided - hence the need for the mod for me

And the XF gearbox will end in the same place as the XA?
The XA is a borg warner 3 speed.
The gearboxes are the same length - Ford or BW
The BW boxes have their mount further back on the box but there should be a hole to mount the crossmember to that will suit.

Both the XA and XF are power steering, so that should be fine.
Are the steering racks interchangable? (not the bit that the column goes into, the arms that turn the wheels)
I think the XF track rod will be too wide
The rod ends (inner and outer) are the same
You can also use the XF upper control arms, lower control arms, stub axle assemblies, disks, calipers - pretty much the whole shebang.

I'll be going carbed until I get the fuel lines sorted.
Cant be arsed with it at the moment.
It took me 3 hours to remove them from the ZL and install them in the ZD - much easier than I thought

LukeNukem":2vhydem6 said:
Undo the bolts that mount the compressor to the bracket and rest it down on the bodywork below - it should stay there OK

I've heard of less responsible people just opening one of the lines from the compressor and letting the gas go - you should really get someone to come around and suck the gas out before opening the system...

ZC-Cruiser":1boykk4n said:
LukeNukem":1boykk4n said:
Undo the bolts that mount the compressor to the bracket and rest it down on the bodywork below - it should stay there OK

I've heard of less responsible people just opening one of the lines from the compressor and letting the gas go - you should really get someone to come around and suck the gas out before opening the system...

Well I checked to see if there was any gas in it.
There wasnt so I just cut the lines in a few places and ripped it out.
Nice quick and easy...

And wow, bending over an engine bay all day in heat can get quite exhausting.

Ok, now the computer and wiring loom, any tips for removal?

LukeNukem":8t7lr2es said:
And mod squad edited expleative, but bending over an engine bay all day in heat, can get quite exhausting.
Yep, I built a massive shed to work in - much more civilised

LukeNukem":8t7lr2es said:
Ok, now the computer and wiring loom, any tips for removal?
You need to remove part or all of the dash if my memory serves correctly - to get the tail of the loom that goes to the computer - good chance of damaging it otherwise.

I'm not sure if you can get it out with the dash in situ - every one of these I have done, I've just dismantled the whole car to a bare shell and sent it for scrap - I can't seem to get rid of XF doors - even for $20 each...

The loom goes through the firewall on the passenger side with a big oval grommet that pulls out into the engine bay...

Other than that, just disconnect all the connectors from the various spots on the engine - from mrmory, they all have different plugs so it isn't really necessary to mark them.

As you go, you'll notice that it is all on one loom that connects to the mail loom at the firewall on the passenger side.

Some of it goes to the driver's side to pick up power and there are a couple of connectors near the brake booster that don't connect to anything - they are for testing...
There is a relay over there too - controls the fuel pump

You really should be recovering the entire loom from the donor vehicle just in case you decide to use it later - that would include the loom that is attached to the giant plastic dash thingy...

If all the plugs are differant, then thats gonna make it ten times easier!
Got most of the dash out, but had to pack it in for the day and start housework and cooking... Because it was getting dark.... :D

LukeNukem":3736wozf said:
Got most of the dash out, but had to pack it in for the day and start housework and cooking... Because it was getting dark.... :D
Once again the massive shed comes into it's own - I have the donor car parked next to the project car - very convenient...

ZC-Cruiser":1odqgxo1 said:
LukeNukem":1odqgxo1 said:
Once again the massive shed comes into it's own - I have the donor car parked next to the project car - very convenient...

Your a lucky basterd then! :D

My sheds barely big enough to contain the XA, let alone 2 cars, and is already chocky full of swapmeet gold!

So, its strip the front of the XA, push onto front lawn, puxh the XF upto the shed, strip, push onto fron lawn, push the XA back up.

I'm young, I dont have enough money to build a decent shed, and wont be staying in this house much longer.

Lookin forward to getting it all out tomorrow.
On that note, how easy is it to lift out the gearbox and engine as one?

Peice of cake. Engine and trans weighes 300 kilos (666 pounds) as a carb Alloy head with BW 40, and about the same as a log headed 250 with the Borg Warner 3-speed.

That's like bench lifting 5 young gals at once. My suggestion is to avoid doing what our Aussie mate P100 did when hauling his 250 out of his Cortina. He used tyres and a jack. AND HE'S STILL ALIVE AND ABLE TO USE HIS LIMBS! :roll: ;)

Best option is a hired trailer, and an engine lifter from Hire quip or whatever. Better to be broke over two hires of 50 ping than being unable to drive without artifcial limbs...

Ack, you gotta be kidding!
I hate car jacks! Once had a sissor jack collapse while I was changing a wheel, scared the living shit out of me!

I have my own engine lifter, which gets borrowed a hell of a lot. One of the fold up ones, super handy, does a one ton lift on short boom, 500kg halfway, which is enough to reach the middle of the engine.

As for getting clearance under the car...
Might have to use a jack and 2 tires! ;)

Dont have the cash to spend, so I might nick some 500mmx500mm UB from my old work.

Good stuff!

Empty the gas into a 44 gallon drum. Fuel tank in XR-XC's and all wagons from XR to EL (i think) you loosen the 14 odd bolts around the tank, and jack it up, and its o-u-t.

Simple as. Mine had 80 liters of diesel in my LD 28 XC. I'm lucky to have big Maori security guard mates and a supply of Speights. It's bribery, but it got my tank out, and then we watched Ford loose Bathurst for the 8 th time. Next year I'll watch bathurst with my firends agin. This time I'll offer free beers to Ford guys, and free beer spiked with diesel to the Holden fellas.

Back