BLQQDY AMAZING becomes BLQQDY FANTASTIC

xctasy

5K+
VIP
See http://www.americancarfans.com and click on the Interation Motor Show (IMS) debut of the BF Falcon

Yep, the BF Falcon and SY Territory have been released to the press.

http://www.americancarfans.com/news/2050929.003/2050929.003.1M.jpg

One journo from Kiwiland has driven it, and said the ZF 6HP26 Six speed automatic gearbox is a real honey. It's apparently a fully imported item, so it won't be cheap or easy to get on a stock Falcon XT.

The venerable Aussie made BTR LE 4-stage is upgraded, now called the IMO.

Barra 182 gets 8 extra killer watts to become the Barra 190.

XR6 Turbo gets 5 extra to 245 kw.

The I6 six cylinder block still doesn't get the US Modular bellhousing, and the V8 transmissions are still not the same as the US Mustang ones.

I'm off magazine duty while I do my transmission work, so you guys will have to tell me about the new machine. By the time anyone starts talking about it down here in NZ, it will have been on the road in Aussie for months!

It'd be nice to be able to wack six speed US automatic behind our twin cam Aussie sixes without having to get a second mortgage. Buying a German ZF transmission is going to rule out getting a high powered (500 hp+) Turbo Falcon on the road. I long for the good old days when you just imported a cheap as chips Yank gearbox (like an FMX, or C4 or C6) and then fried tyres in your 351.

Wonder what the n/a xr6 auto will do to 100 and the 1/4 and the XT no options with 5 speed?

The old xt did 0-100 in 7.3 in manual form making it very easy to get into the sixes with bolt-ons.

Pete

I'm picking up a Territory AWD with the 6 speed Auto on the weekend.

Let you know how it goes.

3 Inline Ford sixes for this family!

Mark

xr6 with 190kw and 6 speed auto option now does 0-100 in 7.4 and 1/4 in 15.3. SO close to high 14's which the manual should do.

This is from a new wheels mag against new magna 380 & sv6 commodore with the xr6 getting the highest rating, quickest and best on fuel. That last one is amazing!

Pete

It's just so f***ing wrong that you get the Xr6 turbos, and we don't. I like the Holden/GTO, but with 2 little ones, I'm not buying coupes anytime soon.

And the Cadillac CTS-V is nice, but I don't exactly have 60k USD burning a hole in my pocket.

It absolutely baffles me why Ford doesn't sell those cars in teh US

These times are the n/a xr6, but you proberly know that.

I dont have offical times for the 6 speed auto turbo yet.

Pete

boston774":i0a2qeem said:
It absolutely baffles me why Ford doesn't sell those cars in teh US
Simple. Management know what the people "out there" want. (Not that they're disconnected from reality or anything. :roll: )

why are new ford sixes so slow? i haven't taken my xt out but i took my work ute out and was very surprised at the result. it is stock 3.8 with cold air and rear muffler gone and 265000km's and it got a 15.1 @145kp/h

The latest Fords are slow because of three reasons.

1. Magazines test them with two people and a full tank of gas, which adds about 150 kilos to the weight. On a car that does 15.1 second quarters, adding 150 kg's will add half a second to the quarter mile time, making it 15.6 seconds. Georges F6 does 13.4's at the strip, becasue it isn't lugging around another 150 kilos on a car that does flat 14.2's off the show room floor before its been run-in.

2. Running in makes a big difference. There is often another 3% more power after 5000 to 10 000 kms than when it is at 2000 km. Remember Brockies Toranas When dynoed after 1000 kms at Bathurst one engine had another 5 hp more than what it started with!

3. Every time Ford adds 3.5, 5, 10 or 20 killer watts to the power curve, they always add another 10, 30, 50 or 100 kg's to the overall weight.

Some examples.

The XT is only 1265 kilograms with a 221. Even the 302 XT GT was only 1300 kilos and did 16.4's with way less than 230 hp gross, which was less than 140 kw's at the flywheel.

The 120 kW, 1480 kg Falcon EFI XF 4-spd man ran 16.4 second quarters
The 139 kw Falcon S 3.9 4-spd auto ran 16.6 sec quarters.
The VCT AU XR6 with IRS was like 1570 kilos, and even with 170 kw had it hard breaking 15.9s.
The 139 kw, 1480 kg 5-spd manual Falcon S ran 15.5 seconds.
The 1500 kg SVO EA ran 15.8 secs as a 3-speed auto with extractors,
The 149 Kw, 1450 kg Falcon 5.8 GL 4-spd man ran 15.8 sec quarters
The 161 Kw, 1529 kg XR6 came out, it did 15.2 seconds in 5-speed form

The latest 190 kW XR6 BF will only just beat it, even with double over head cams. Why? Because its 220 kilos heavier! It's heavier than the fatest Ford, the 1729 kilo fairmont GXL 5.8 XC, which could just do 15.9 second quarters with 162 kilowatts.

If you could drop those 182, 190, 240 or 270 Barra I6's into the XT, you'd do low 12's with the turbos and low 14's with the stock 182.

Weight, the enemy of performance! :eek:

Having seen every Wheels and Modern Motor magazine since 1966 helps. The Pommy stuff by Jeremy Sinek Motor (Super Cars of the Sevenites) tought me that 351 cubes of Clevleand V8 in an small car could out-drag any Faz or Aston Martin.

Most stuff is published in special additions on Wheels and you see AMC and Street Machine do clips of these often. I go to old second hand book exchanges, and get the original stuff there. God sources are the 1982 to 1983 Muscle Cars I and II books, Wheels did the Big Three Torana, Monaro, Charger and Thundering GT's back in 1982 to 1983, and these were the first times I could factor out that gross hp was actually 16 to 28% optimistic.

Regards quarter mile times verses power, the US magazines like Car Craft and Hot Rod were on my book shelves as a pre-teen, and I can see how much power an engine really has when you see the standing start and in gears performance data in type.

The most landmark article was on Ameircan Muscles Cars by Car Craft in 1982 by Cam Benty. Back in wage freeze NZ, it cost 12 bucks, fivetimes the cost of a Wheels Magazine. Cam said that rear wheel hp was basically 85% of the flywheel figure, and that American Muscle cars could have there quarter mile times plotred, and the wirhgt to power ratio determined. Right then, he observed that the 1982 Mustang GT must have more than 157 hp if it could do 15.2 second quarters.

The sead was sown back then. Engines can't cheat the laws of physics, and the mission I have is to show you how little horspower it takes to have a really good time in a humble old Ford I6. If I'm not mistaken, society has lost the plot, favouring safety and comforts over environmental conscience and performance. xt falcon is on to something. If there is the weight of a Morris Mini between a 1968 Falcon and the newer one 37 years on, how can there have been a revolution in performance?

If our old dancing kniitting needle sixes can beat a double knocker, then I never want a BF!

Back