EF crank and rods into crossflow

fordmuscle83

There has to be a good post on here about this but i havent been able to find it.

I have just purchased two complete unleaded carb crossflows of ebay for a very good price and have EF crank, rods and pistons.

I will pick up the engines this weekend and hope they are 87DA's or at least one!

These where made to use the early ea cranks it that right???

Can i use the EF pistons and CR would that give me?

Would the 12 counterbalance crank allow 6000rpm for a cam with peak power at 5500 or would the stock valve train left me down??

What balancer will i use?

I'll keep you all updated on this rebuild on a budget.

Pete

Get the former. Best bet is to use the best ACL race piston for a 250 engine. Mate it to the stock XF or EL rod, and have them preped to a great standard by an expert.

Going for long rods and custom pistons will break the bank, and I've not been able to suss out any lurks. OHC engines are 160 thou shallower, and the later AU-BA/BF rods are 180 thopu different. Enough to make it impossible to use stock, off the shelf bits.

There are none. You pay your well researched, hard earned bucks, you make power. That's more than most of us.

Any thing else will cost you money down the line.

There are any number of other options for those unwilling to commit, and any number of market noise frequencies to tune in to.

Items like
Chevy 6.20" Scatt, Lunati or Ridgecrest rods,
forged Chevy 305 pistons,
190 thou thick copper gaskets,
90 thou cylinder sleaves,
Subaru pistons,
Chrysler Voyger pistons,
245/ 265 Hemi Rods,
Rover 4.6 Pistons
and custom Precison pistons...

anything anything.

Break a rod, X it stage right.

Don't worry about stage fright, just do it!

I was planing the chev rod/piston combo for my 83 crossflow but couldnt get any info on what mods to make. Was thinking 6.00" chev rods with the 305 pistons and the 56 thou overbore required to fit them. How big of a head gasket for that combo? plus wanting around 7.5-8:1 comp was thinking 240 thou or 6mm. But people told me the copper reacts with the aluminium and corrodes. Also what side clearance do the chev rods allow, do they need machining and what about big ends? are they similar or do i need to bore the rod, grind the crank, bigger bearing????

Back