Is $700 a good price for a brand new t04e turbo?

A

Anonymous

Apparently it's a garret with a .70 xs power compressor cover. It's also got a .84 turbine housing. And comes with an internal wastegate.

It think thats fairly cheap so I was thinking that it might be a chinese cheapie (especially because of the aftermarket compressor cover).

Is there anyway to tell the difference between a genuine garret t04e and a chinese cheap one?

Thanks.

stay away from those chinese imitators, someone on the us forum got one and the insides were full of shavings......had to get a rebuilt plus some other bits and pieces because of bad quality. if your set on it check out ebay , thare alot les than 700$. my opinion is wait around for a turbo you like on ebay thats second hand , buy it and get it rebuillt. should be less than 700.... i got a gt42 for 500$.... and after inspection by turbo builder he said it was new.....

Don't bother, you can find a cheap T04 highflow for just a little bit more, my mate bought a T04 highflow to near GT35/40 specs with .7 front and 1.06 rear for $1100 almost new only has 200km's on it. Just keep looking and don't bother with the XS power ones etc.

pumbaplus":1ub8y7v4 said:
stay away from those chinese imitators, someone on the us forum got one and the insides were full of shavings......had to get a rebuilt plus some other bits and pieces because of bad quality. if your set on it check out ebay , thare alot les than 700$. my opinion is wait around for a turbo you like on ebay thats second hand , buy it and get it rebuillt. should be less than 700.... i got a gt42 for 500$.... and after inspection by turbo builder he said it was new.....

You wanna sell your gt42 by any chance? :D

That sounds like a sweet deal. I really hope I can come across something like that.

Yeah I've heard the chinese turbos are bad news. Thats why I want to make sure it isnt one.

The ad is here;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

He says it a genuine garret with the xs comp cover.

Is there anyway to identify a bona fide garret to4e?

How much would a real garret t04e cost?

thanks.

The following is personal opinion.

I don't believe the seller. You would do well to trade only by legally binding, written contract. Ebay is a poor cousin to this process.

:roll:

addo":2h1h77nn said:
The following is personal opinion.

I don't believe the seller. You would do well to trade only by legally binding, written contract. Ebay is a poor cousin to this process.

:roll:

Thanks for your opinion. I think I'm inclined to agree with you. I mean its just too cheap isnt it.

But then on the other hand what if it is real.....

thek, im the poor bugger that brought a brand new generic brand garrett and was full of shavings etc, cost me over $500 for the turbo and then had to spend another $400 on getting it rebuilt so if i were you, go genuine, learn from my mistake!

bit of a long storey, but, when i brought the turbo, it had a t3 rear housing (me not knowing t3 and t4 rears were different) so when i brought my turbo setup for the xflow i then learnt the hard way again.

Anyway, with the turbo setup i got the original small, AiResearch to4, but it had a small front housing and my new turbo had a bigger one (which flows just over 600hp) but the t3 rear, so, off to the turbo shop to see if i can get the rear housings changed, simple job they said, just had to use the shaft out of the old turbo, reco it, balence etc and simply swap the rears, easy job! well......then the drama started!

Got a fone call, they telling me that they pulled down my brand new turbo, only to find it was full of shavings, and, in the front housing found a huge swarf of machined metal which was 2in long!
The conversation continued on to say that the centre housing also was a poor casting and had lots of tiny pits in the metal and basically they said it would be a time bomb if i used it.

So, from my brand new $500 turbo, the only original parts i have of it are the front housing and wheel, the rest i had to replace the centre (which i got them to fit a water cooled one instead of a normal oil cooled) and the rear housing is off the original turbo setup and is a to4 rear. A very expensive and hard way to learn about these things but then again we learn from our mistakes.
There is little bits and pieces i left out but thats the basic storey :(

Now just cant wait to throw the bloody thing on and see if it was all money well spent..... i hope you all learnt something from this storey, if you wanna play turbos, go the genuine, well known brands as the quality is much much better, may cost you a little more but saves the heartache later on.

take care

thek, im the poor bugger that brought a brand new generic brand garrett and was full of shavings etc, cost me over $500 for the turbo and then had to spend another $400 on getting it rebuilt so if i were you, go genuine, learn from my mistake!

bit of a long storey, but, when i brought the turbo, it had a t3 rear housing (me not knowing t3 and t4 rears were different) so when i brought my turbo setup for the xflow i then learnt the hard way again.

Anyway, with the turbo setup i got the original small, AiResearch to4, but it had a small front housing and my new turbo had a bigger one (which flows just over 600hp) but the t3 rear, so, off to the turbo shop to see if i can get the rear housings changed, simple job they said, just had to use the shaft out of the old turbo, reco it, balence etc and simply swap the rears, easy job! well......then the drama started!

Got a fone call, they telling me that they pulled down my brand new turbo, only to find it was full of shavings, and, in the front housing found a huge swarf of machined metal which was 2in long!
The conversation continued on to say that the centre housing also was a poor casting and had lots of tiny pits in the metal and basically they said it would be a time bomb if i used it.

So, from my brand new $500 turbo, the only original parts i have of it are the front housing and wheel, the rest i had to replace the centre (which i got them to fit a water cooled one instead of a normal oil cooled) and the rear housing is off the original turbo setup and is a to4 rear. A very expensive and hard way to learn about these things but then again we learn from our mistakes.
There is little bits and pieces i left out but thats the basic storey :(

Now just cant wait to throw the bloody thing on and see if it was all money well spent..... i hope you all learnt something from this storey, if you wanna play turbos, go the genuine, well known brands as the quality is much much better, may cost you a little more but saves the heartache later on.

take care

You're not likely to buy 7000 bricks because the price seems right and then go "Oh, yeah, I need to get some land ...and plans ...and approval to build... and a loan" There's more of a structured plan to it.

As Dave has flattered us with his honesty, you can return the favour by planning all the peripheral stuff - manifold, intercooler, oil lines and so forth. Just buying a turbo addresses none of these issues. Then you'll have a checklist and whenever possible parts do come up, you know exactly if what you're looking at is suited to the task.

addo":3fd9lrqq said:
You're not likely to buy 7000 bricks because the price seems right and then go "Oh, yeah, I need to get some land ...and plans ...and approval to build... and a loan" There's more of a structured plan to it.

As Dave has flattered us with his honesty, you can return the favour by planning all the peripheral stuff - manifold, intercooler, oil lines and so forth. Just buying a turbo addresses none of these issues. Then you'll have a checklist and whenever possible parts do come up, you know exactly if what you're looking at is suited to the task.

Yeah thanks for that Dave. I was already leaning heavily away from chinese crap but this just confirms it beyond all shadow of a doubt.

Don't worry Addo I appreciate that for an LPG turbo to opperate harmoniously various engine changes must be implemented.

I've got off to a good start with this;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

I'm now on the hunt for a custom intake plenum.

But beyond even that, other non-engine related changes to the car should reflect the intention to go turbo (etc bigger brakes, sorted suspension, gearbox, diff etc).

Did you really think that setup is worth $385? He made it for $100.

Have fun with it anyway, i just think you could have got the stuff yourself and made up the manifold for heaps less.

Update us on how it goes.

fordmuscle83":1vqd176t said:
Did you really think that setup is worth $385?

Do you know how much a gas research throttle body costs mate?

thek":3ub4eji8 said:
fordmuscle83":3ub4eji8 said:
Did you really think that setup is worth $385?

Do you know how much a gas research throttle body costs mate?

Exactly.

Sounds like a fairly good deal to me.

Back