Oh so VERY excited!!

wagon":1q6wa728 said:
Oh I also scored a BA dash cluster for free. The fuel guage doesn't work but I'll be able to get a warrenty replacement on that if I'm sneekie!

Are you SURE the BA cluster has a stuffed fuel gauge? The XD-XF used a capacitive sensor that outputs 0V empty and 4.5V full - Everything else uses a variable resistor.

Yeh Ford dealership replaced the whole unit under warrenty. They had it laying around in their warrenty bin and let me have it after 3 months. I doubt I'll be using it now, as I don't need it with the aftermarket ecu.

prostkxy":135gjgz9 said:
bloody unreal! how you bolting up the skyline brakes to the standard stub axel? are you using standard sized rotors aswell?

I tryed to draw a picture but wasn't very good at it so I'll try to explan with words. I haven't finished the conversion yet but it's looking like it's going at fall together nicely.

1: Removed the factory caliper, then hub assembly.
2: Removed the dust backing plate so all I was left with was a bear hub
3: Using a bit of cardboard I made up a template to shape a peice of steel that would mount to the 2 orginal caliper mounting holes (lower ones goes from inside to outside, the other goes through the 'arm' that sticks up from the hub that the upper ball joint mount onto. (see picture below)
UteBrakesEtc004.jpg

4: I then got a local engineer to profile cut the shape I designed ount of a 18mm peice of steel. That peice I drilled some holes, taped a thread for the top hole, adn got another enginneer to machine down the bottom mounting section to make the mount sit square with the disc.
5: I got a local engineer to machine off the disc part of the hub, so the hub looks alot like a trailer hub does.'
6: Using the DBA cataloge I selected a disc with the size I want, and the right amount of offset to space the disc back nice and close to the new caliper mount (I ended up selecting a HSV VT Clubsport 330mm disc, this will need to be redrilled for the Ford stud pattern).
7: Last step (after I buy the discs $$$$$) bolt it all together

Note because of the new disc acting as a big spacer (approx 8-10mm) you wheels will protude further out than orginally. this isn't a problem to me as I'm using BA 18's that have a Front Wheel Drive off set.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any other info. I am by no means, clever, or smart. I'm just trying to do as much as I can myself, without spending a packet! that and I've got some mates in engineering companies that I can get deals with.
So far Cost is:
Pair Calipers $150
Red Caliper Paint $20 (approx) VHT Ceramic Brake Parts Paint
Mounts $25 approx for the milling, the steel and the cutting was free to me
Discs where lathed off by a mate for free (originals)
DBA Slotted 4000 series Rotors (about) $600 pair - thats my holdup!

Can you please post some more detail shots of the engine mounts and gearbox clearance and crossmember clearances.

Looks as though it would fit nicely into a ZC Fairlane...

Back