Borgy Diff Pinion Flange Sizing

addo

Top Poster
VIP
REDLINE 10K
- Anyone know if they changed spline dimensions in the '80s or so? I'm thinking they may have.

If they did, I will have two prepped and paint-detailed pinion flanges to give away... :roll:

Thanks, Adam.

Took the diff in today (new record, this diff was started in 1998 :LOL: ) for the final installation of gears and centre.

Professional opinion: No change, just a good tight fit. Glenn (diff guy) mentioned the issue of leakage past the splines, and said it shouldn't be a problem here.

Some pictures of an exploded centre for the curious...

Side cone, and the side gear sitting on it. Coarse threads on the cone jag into the case, aiding traction. The two parts (cone and gear) are separate, and wear is taken up by shimming between. Later diffs have an integral cone and side gear, with a spline count of 28 for the axles. Mine's 25.

Bolts are finger firm. This gives an idea of preload generated when it's all cranked into place.

I think maybe some of the utes, XH or so were 4P lockers? My centre was $250 off a VR or VS sedan from memory (car written off brand new).

4P was an option listed as early as XR commercials but with an open centre. The later ute ones I've seen had a chunkier, tougher housing.

The whole Centura swap is past its time. Definitely one thing I would recommend against.

Back