Valves, springs cross-references for X-flow?

SixFoFalcon

Does anyone know if the X-flow shares valves, springs, or retainers in common with any other popular engines?

The valves and springs look OK on the head I have, so I don't want to go pulling everything apart just yet if there aren't any US sources for replacement parts. And it sure would save me some postage... :)

cleveland lifters, springs, rockers, retainers and valves. check valve lengths- can be easily modified to correct length to fit. pushrods different length-5/16" diameter.

You guys have made me so happy. :banana: :beer:

WRT the pushrods, this alloy crossflow head is going on my US 200 block, so I'm using the 3.8L Regal pushrods anyway.

I have some lightly used 351C roller tip rockers that I bought for a song since 3 of them had "jumped" and were destroyed (not really a problem since a V8 set of rockers has 4 rockers more than I need anyway.) 8) I'm going to run guideplates for the pushrods so the rockers don't walk off the valve stems.

I guess the next purchase will be valves, springs, locks, and some titanium retainers so I can rip this thing up to 7K with no worries. :eek:

It looks like the only things I'll need to have shipped from OZ are the camshaft and some gaskets. The head, valve cover, intake, & headers are all sitting here tempting me to get rolling again. I just finished settling into my new garage so I'm ready to start getting greasy and breaking stuff. :LOL:

Now I'd like to know how well the valve guides seem to last in these alloy heads? Should that be on my machine shop to-do list?

guides last with no problems. the guideplates that I have used have been Cleveland aftermarket items. these come as a cylinder assembly ie 2 pushrod slots per plate. just separate them as the stud spacing is the same but the angle for each pushrod is not. then just tighten them down under each rocker stud. they will then work fine. get the flat ones, not the stepped ones and they will fit. I have had good results with Crane guideplates. remember to run hardened pushrods.

I'm not finding many high-perf Cleveland valves in the right diameter. Seems that most of the aftermarket/race products are oversize. There isn't much room for bigger valves, and my little 200 will be MORE than happy with the stock size even at high revs :LOL: (they appear to be a little over 1.75" intake, 1.5" exhaust?) so I may just go with stock/street 351C valves instead of trying to locate high-perf parts in stock size.

Length isn't an issue? I haven't pulled any of the stock valves yet (my spring compressor is on loan) so I don't know the Crossflow valve length. Ford Cleveland valves are 5.244" intake and 5.060" exhaust.

Thanks for the tip on the guideplates. I was planning on going with Crane guideplates but I was wondering about the offset rocker positions and how everything would line up.

I have 2v inlet and exhaust valves with the heads turned down to 1.94 and 1.65. At these sizes, the seats need a flat machined on them to fit properly. I think one cleveland valve is shorter and one longer than the crossflow. Just machine an extra groove on one and weld a stellite tip to the other for the correct rocker geometry.

run new collets if multi groove or sand edges of collets until they no longer butt togrther and grip the valve tightly. they wont rotate then, but they wont drop either.

Back