why so many classic ford where 4 doors in au. ?

We don't know either! Everyone looks at the 2-door 66 Falcons and says "Why didn't we get those?".

You guys should check out the cool stuff they got in South Africa, late 1960s and early '70s. Aussie cars with different badging and trim, sometimes different exterior detail, too. My mate bought one, a "Fairmont GT" for $8000 Aussie. Here, the local version (effectively identical) is over $30K. :shock:

As to numbers of cars in Oz, there are very few left of many models you might like. Compared to the US market, production numbers were often small, and they have long rusted away or been crashed. It's why the prices for good survivors are often high.

They can't even put the steering wheel on the correct side :p :LOL:
This could be a direct result of their world rotating in a different direction than ours. :unsure:

I have seen some four door cars shortened and made into two door cars here. When done correctly it makes for a shorter wheel base and a pretty good launch. 8) They look similar to an altered wheel base drag car from the late sixties. I have seen two Chevy ll's and both required a double take. It's funny how many people see these cars and don't even notice anything odd.

For the Aussies here, If it were in my power to get you some early two door iron I would deliver them myself.

:D and stubby i woul gladly take delivery of them 2 doors 8)

Its because the aussie bloke generally has more friends than blokes from any other parts of the world thus needing 4 doors to get them in/out comfortably and quickly

gassed250":2usj0dfd said:
Its because the aussie bloke generally has more friends than blokes from any other parts of the world thus needing 4 doors to get them in/out comfortably and quickly

Very true, and we find it a bit gay squeezing a whole heap of bums across a front seat.

Johnny Ray":1enr5p4k said:
Ah, so aussie blokes have more friends that bum rides than anyone else, huh? :)

8)
and thus, less cruising around and looking for chicks... i mean, if your car is filled with your friends, how are you gonna get that hottie in there?
and once you do, then you have all your friends hittin on her...

I think the answer lies in the economics.
Prior to tarriff reductions which started in 74 cars were more expensive here and we got less for our money.
A 2 door car was really a luxury and it also explains why Falcon GT's were decked out in fairmont (read upmarket trim) whereas Mustangs could be ordered with any trim. (I use these as comparisons because they both represent the muscle cars of their era).
Ford had to go upmarket with the GT's cos only wealthy folk could buy them but they were still practcal enough to carry 5 adults or two adults and a family of three. Also back then the average family size was 5-6 and hence 4 doors were required.

Also most families didn't have two cars. so Dad's car had to be able to carry the family and the dog.
I remmber as a kid getting our second car in 1970. Wow we had made it!!!
and yes I grew up with 3 siblings and a dog.

Mark

Back