ONE performance mod, which one?

fordmuscle83

Im getting insurance on my newly purchased xe fairmont ghia efi/gas/auto and are only allowed 1 mod, what should it be?

I was asking in detail what a performance exhaust is as i wanted to put my 2.5 inch madrel bent single muffler on. The reply was any power adder. So its out unless thats the mod.

Is it benifical to put pacemakers on and stock/near stock exhaust, or would headers and sports exhaust be more benifical?

She can stay high as i wont lower it as the one mod.

Pete

gassed250":6temq6qz said:
Another insurance company

I agree. Shop around. Unless your on a restricted license, you can damn near do anything you want to the car and still get insured.

1. The XF EFI camshaft, a real screamer compared to the old 256 degree marshmellow stick.

2. a set of 60 thou bigger XF intake valves,

3. some ESP springs and Bilsten/K-Mac/ deCarbon shockies, and

4. fit the 2.5 performance exhast.

5. Get the trans serviced, and get a new kickdown cable with the settings determined by the pressure gauge used by trans experts

The insurance company is just trying to reduce the premiums, and its done its homework via cross sectional studies and designed its premiums to target the highest risk. Legally modifed vehiciles are not high risk, nor is it the illegal ones. It's mostly the stock cars driven by idiots. Mate, your not one of 'em.

I know, my father is an insurance broker in the king of premium insurance, J Berg, South Africa.

You'd be better to stop worring about being dead pan honest when the 10% of the fools are making you under 25 out to be public enemy number one.

The cam alone is worth 10 killer watts, the exhast is worth 18 to 20 killer watts, and the later XF valves in the earlier head are worth quite a three to four kW when they aren't shrouded like in the later XF's, and there is no catalyst or risk of detonation with the earlier head.

That should take the performance up to a level close to the last manual 5.8's, so you'll be happy. (15.8 secs to 16.1 secs for standing quarter, 194 to 205 km/h depending on conditions)

Normal auto XE 4.1 Ghia EFI's did 17.5 second quarters and 180 km/h with about 1483 kilos and 2.77:1 gears with 111 kW.

With about 143 to 146 kW, it should do flat 16 second quarters all day.

My old Coon had a cam smaller than the EFI cam, headers and a better carb and intake, and would do flat 16s still using the stock 47 mm exhast. The stock EFI one is 51 mm, the aftermarket one is 63.5 mm, so you'll find that exhast will be the only visiable mod.

The diff ratio options were 3.23 or 2.92:1 for the manual EFI, but the autos often got the 2.77:1. The 3.23 is much better in the 60 to 110 km/h zones on the open road as there is no kickdown above 100 km/h of 3-speed Falcons, a real pest. Changing the diff that is in there is counter productive unless you are spending a lot of time going between rural and urban areas.

ESP suspension was a option on the Fairmont Ghia, so you don't have to declare it.

Next question, who knows the code for an ESP Fairmont Ghia ? Not me, and possibly not the insurance company.

And in the unlikely event of an accident the insurance company is going to diassemble the engine to find the R7 stamped where the 6250 should be on the XF EFI cam, check the duration, and net lift, argue about the springs and dampers, and then go ballistic over the declared 2.5" exhasts, eh?

No way!

So exhaust over pacemakers???? Whats the reasoning in that, bigger restriction?

I was thinking about stock ESP gear too. It has 15'' snowflakes and aftermarket h/d highrider suspension. I will look into ESP springs/shocks.

The engine has 260,000 and never had the head off so a compression increase and head reco will be done in the next 40,000. Shes still strong though. The trans feels sloppy compared to our 3.9 ea three speed with same 2.77 diff. I will get it service and when it goes bust rebuild to bw51 spec.

Its currently impco 200 and X1 convertor. Ive been told to go staright gas and 225 which i will look into.

A cam change to crow 14771 or voodoo gas stage one will soon happen.

myengine.jpg

Try Shannons insurance. They have always been good to me and as long as you have a reasonable driving/accident record you can do lots of mods (within the 'law'). They are the only mob who would insure the old wagon, for agreed value, and they were cheaper than the others too.

But, most insurance companies would have no idea if a car has been modified - for example, lower the car with proper, new (stiffer) springs and tell them it has 'heavy-duty' suspension. NFI.

Good luck.

Kendall.

tell them to gar get f@cked.im not baging your car but why bother insuring it?whats an xe worth??? the only insurance id get would be for hitting other people and fire/theft.go the mods and do what you want.

SONNY":2iafeybt said:
tell them to gar get f@cked.im not baging your car but why bother insuring it?whats an xe worth??? the only insurance id get would be for hitting other people and fire/theft.go the mods and do what you want.

Dude, this is fire and theft!

Im 23, been driving since i could and NEVER had any accident, carpark ding or near miss. I will enquire into other companies but im still male and under 25, doh!

Sorry buddy, but you need to get a life over rules and regulations. The insurance is covering precieved risks, and you just have to treat your mods like a Group A homologation, and use the best factory parts, and cover off each modification separtely.

I did a search of the 1980 to 1989 Holdens. Most of the modifications, accroding to the letter of the law, were blatant cheats. The dual exahst system was illegal after 1984, but was often fitted after the car left Holden. The emission calibration of Wade 169 cammed VK Director and Group A were also illegal. So were the headers. The mods were covered only by HDT and latterly, Tom Walkinshaw and HSV's intellegence with the emissions rigs. A perfect example is that done by HSV when the last VN Group A was made.

1. FISA banned full race headers, as each car had to race with the stock exhast before the tailpipe flange. The Holden boys just grabed a stock header, made up 8 flanges, and cut back the exhast header length so a brilliant race exhast could run the full length of the car.

2. The second throttle body was unused on the VL and VN Group A, but was able to be used in race form for incrased air flow.

Taken together, these two mods in the VN Commodore pushed the envelope FROM 180 kW to 215kW at 5250 rpm. It varied slightly from the earlier VL Group A motor with 8000 rpm rods, but as a race engine, it was well over 75 hp stronger.

I'm the first to be up front with the mods, but for heavens sake, you are being foolish to abide by the letter of the law...its for fools.

I got my XE certified when I didn't have to because I wanted no problems if some idiot ran into my car when my wife was driving.

My advice is to go for extracors and a replacement exhast that is stock. The XE 4.1 EFI, 4.9 and 5.8 tail pipe were the same, and quite large. Why not just go for the largest stock replacement tail pipe, add the headers/extractors, and shift the air boc to suit the LP Gas mixer. The LP Certificate covers the LPG mods, so that's two mods within the rules

I am not amused by the desire we antipodean Prisoners of Mother England have to ardently follow a stupid ruling the the nth degree. The ruel is there only to stop the baddies. Why 90% of the population should suffer such restriction because 10% wants to see if they can get away with it is beyound me.

Legalisim, a disease I dispise with a passion because it newters peoples hope.

1. Weld the biggest stock replacement 51 mm exhast to the headers, one part.

2. Then the air box gets in the way, so you end up having to move the air box and air meter, which could be an LP Gas modification. Follow Luke Nukems method, but use hard LPG grade heating and ventilation PVC to relocate the air meter, and moutn the LPG mixer above the headers. The LPG certiicate covers that modification

3. Smokey Yunick, David Vizard all taught us all how to work within the rulebook, but still adress the need for performance, so come on. That's the only reason why why rules should exist, so that they curb wrong doing which hurts

a) us

or

b) other people.

Everytime a rule is made, it must be tested. If the rule caves in becasue it is not specific enough, then alternative rulings need to be looked at.

That's why the NASCAR rule book was very different every year from 1949 to up to about 1982, and then it became locked into very specific modifications

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

this is why i hate insurance companys.i dont have insurance and have never had it,never hit anyone and never had a car stolen.my insurance is a hidden kill switch.

No insurance is all well and good until you make a mistake and hit someone. Then you may as well put your head between your legs and kiss your a*#e goodbye. You need some sort of basic insurance, even if it is just 'bomb' insurance. Unless you are made of money. 'Bomb' insurance is not that expensive.

look around for a better insurance company. i am 23 and have my XC Cobra insured with shannons for full comp. it has a big cam, glasspacks, 10in. rear wheels, alloy race tank and a manual conversion using a toploader and indy shifter. no other insurance company would touch it.

Back