Plastic Single Rail Shifter pictures...

xctasy

5K+
VIP
Gearshift re-hash.

Typical to small, and large Borg Warner and small Ford single rail gearboxes with the nylon "warranty saver" gearshift.

I've been running a C3 auto for a while, but have to have the car in its stock 4-speed form to get registration and warrant of fittness.

The old gearstick was loose, and I thought I'd post a few pictures of the existing plastic item. I've used a some 15 amp fuse wire and Loctite to fix the shifter to the old single rail gearbox. Works a treat!

The steel kit ex Ford is still only 102 dollars in New Zealand, and works well. It uses a tiny 1.5 mm grub screw to stop the steel replacement spinning around. Kit comes complete with a soft rubber gromet, a real high quality steel replacement of the old nylon hemisphere, and a tiny teeny Allen screw to lock the item in place.

Only problem is, any shifter can be under some huge loads. The replacement steel hemisphere can then shear the alloy extension housing threads because its so jolly hard. It then tears the coarse threads out of the alloy extension housing, potentially requiring a full rework of the extension housing to fix the shifter.

New Steel item, part number 80MT 7K387 KIT is on the left. Middle is the old rekitted item I removed. The far right is the original green nylon housing item. Inside, its all white nylon.

The treads wear out, and the gearshift comes off. If you lace it with wire and loctite it, it can lock in okay.

had the same prob,i used a big brass washer from the plumbing shop and used 4 big cable ties to strap it down,that was 2 years ago and its still holding :)

Im pretty sure last time i change my shifter i used a sigma shifter the threaded part is alloy and you can still get the little nylon bit that sits on the selector rod from Mitsubishi

Yep, the 79 to 84 Sigma, 81 to 88 Holden Commodore 4, 82-85 Commodore 6 and 83 to 84 Toyota Corona items are just like the aftermarket Ford bits. Only the Japs made darn sure the little single rail BW gearbox wasn't gonna end up scrapped if the new kit was put in.

I drilled the old shifter with four 16 thou holes, and locked in two lengths of 15 amp fuse wire. It feels solid enough.

I've gone ricer with the gear knob.

Reach for the barf bag...

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Back