Spyke Is Back... With some electrical questions

A

Anonymous

UPDATE: After having the Mustang Crossflow project on hold for WAY too long. I am really wanting to get this thing finished and back on the road! The head should be in the shop being built next week. Then I just need to bolt on the head, intake and exhaust and finish up all the little things.

Now for an electrical question. I am using an OZ Bosch 2 wire dizzy. The car used to have a DII system. So....

Out of the firewall there is a plug with 3 wires 1 went to the temp sender switch on the 200 head. There is no such switch on the xflow. I assume I can just leave this one off.

the 2nd one goes to one side of the coil.

the 3rd one goes to the oil pressure switch on the 200 and xflow.

then I have 2 wires that that I ran fron the battery and solenoid to the external DII box. I would like to use those feed the new elec fan that is going in. Is that OK?

What do I connect the 2 wires on the bosch dizzy to? I am thinking the old wire that went fron the firewall to the coil could be one but not sure about the other...Ground maybe?

On the Bosch dizzy, the "+" on your coil gets a full 12V from the ignition switch, and also connects to the dizzy. The negative just goes to the dizzy. Make sure you have an excellent ground to the block. You can probably use that third terminal on your firewall plug provided your chosen coil (aftermarket?) doesn't draw excessive amperage.

The modules occasionally fail. A GM one will do the same job but won't fit under the cover. Modules are available new from Bosch or aftermarket (not recommended). also they are identical for any car with this style dizzy, whether 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. I pay $30-$40 for a used one, tops.

Temp sender in the crossflow (presume what you are referring to as the temperature switch) is often on the thermo housing.

Don't forget anti-seize or moly grease under the bolt heads when reinstalling. The rear ones especially, can get tricky to pull after a few years of electrolytic "assistance". I would be inclined to retorque the head after a couple of hours runtime; they say it's not needed but this practice is standard for many older cars with alloy heads - why would it hurt?

Spike,
What size is the wiring you will be using to get power to the fan? Most fans use a 20-30 amp load. that means 10 gauge wire. Elec fans generally have a relay to handle the heavy current load and light wiring from the temp sender to the relay. Fried wires and underhood fires are not a good thing.
David in Dayton, TX

Back