What engines can be put into what?

A

Anonymous

Here we go again!
Coming up to be my XA wagons 6th engine I think.

I've moved steadily up the ranks of engine sizes since the last time I was on here (some may remember me doing the efi 4.1 conversion, and yes I got my car rego'd, just in time to head to tauranga to meet my new gf then shoot off to Kumeau (sp!?) Hotrod show, bloody awesome weekend).

Well, 200 pre x-flow to 250 pre x-flow, to 86 4.1 efi, to '67 302 windsor.
That bloody windsor has caused no end of frustration though, sure, gets the looks and sounds good and has nice power, but the problems I've had...
Timing chain was rooted, 14 degrees of slack in it, and then it managed to jump off the sprocket enough to *advance* the cam *ahead* two whole cylinders!!!
So, replace with a jp double roller unit, while I'm at it, I re-tapped the timing cover threads on the block, replaced the timing cover and water pump. (Nearly did a full rebuild on the side of the road then, and while I was at it, I got given a 1/2 doz of beer by a stranger coz he liked my car, got offered a job painting, and got a good 4 offers to buy my car).
Sweet, ran beautiful after that!
But then the bloody lifters kept loosing the nuts and nearly coming off!
So, crank'em down with two sets of nuts and some locktite.
Running even better now!
But then a bloody frostplug sprung a leak, so Managed to limp home with no thermostat and rad cap and a blob of gasket sealer on the hole.
Fixed that up, gee, what next?

Oh yeah, a stinking bad batch of gas!?!?!?
She's detonating like hell, and its either, a major carbon build up (plugs were, carby was out of tune a bit), a bad batch of gas with shit octane, or the head gaskets gone.
Gotta get out there and slap the compression gauge on her, see whats up, don't think its the gaskets, well, hope not. But its too bloody cold (new plymouth).

So, to cut that story short (hah, finished it anyway), I'm tossing up wether to whack in another engine while I rebuild the 8 banger for lpg breathing.

Whats a nice list of sixes from the '80s efi jobs through to the xr6 turbo, that will all fit in an xa?
I'm considering maybe going for a 4.0l EL engine, giving it a nice tickle and maybe setting it up for lpg and just leaving it in.

Oh, and my c4 won't drive my speedo, anyone know whats up with that?
I thought the shaft gear was cast on so couldn't wear out.
I've got the right gear attached to the speedo cable as far as I know (gear teeth go in opposite direction to the old borgie one).
Is it possible the gear on the cable might be too small? or maybe need a new cable if its possibly not reaching into the box far enough?

XA has huge engine bay so almost anything will fit.
Any ford six, any ford v8 except perhaps the diesel powerstroke.
Ive seen an XD with a BBC which looked like it was ment to be there.
falcons havent actually changed that much in engine bay size in the X series, e and a series are differnt but more roomy, have you seen the BA DOHC V8 its like a 426 hemi in size.
As to your C4, I seem to recall that the driven gear was bigger, so a smaller one work touch the driving gear on the shaft.
A7M

Huge engine bay?
Heh, too many times have I climbed in next to the engine to do a bit of work on it (pre-x-flows), love the space!

BA DOHC V8?
C*** it sounds tasty, how much do they normaly go for?

Had a feeling that the speedo gear might not actualy be making contact, but its bloody hard to tell for sure.
DO I need to change the cable or gear? Which size?

LukeNukem":3vciwt1i said:
BA DOHC V8?
C*** it sounds tasty, how much do they normaly go for?

Some how i dont think it will fit a falc bay isnt that wide a mitsubishi sigma has a wider engine bay

hey
just get a 427 side oiler from a shelby cobra it will fit better and go harder or you could allways try and find the hens tooth a ohc version of the sideoiler :eek:
but i think the old fal whould flex a little to much and you whould hae to make it the engine could be swaped around to twist the chassie back straght again lol
yeah clevo much nicer to work on in sigma bay
drift

Know what? I had a bloody hard time trying to read your post, why? Wheres the grammar and punctuation?
Seriously, what do they teach in schools these days?

Alright, whinge over.

I can fit a 460 big block in the engine bay, I can fit anything smaller.
Having said that, the shock towers need to be notched to give the heads and headers a wee bit more room.

What I came here for though, was to find out if all the ford sixes have the same mount points, which I'm taking a flying guess, that they do.

So does anyone know the power ratings from the 4.0L eb up to the xr6 turbo? (and just plain xr6)?

Back