XY power steer ram

gassed250

da_1_b.JPG

How duz it work

can it be adapted to other cars

Do i need the steering box as well

I have an I beam front suspension setup and the steering box sits on its side with a pitman arm that moves front to back not left/right and power steer was never an option

Its real heavy to steer now with the 250 so its gunna be hell with the extra weight of the 460

There's a tapered stud which screws into the drag link like a tie rod taper. That's the control valve setup on the far end of the tapered stud.

It has a degree of built in movement to the control valve. This is so when you turn it, there is initially slight unassisted movement. This meets resistance because the ram is currently "pressure neutral". Forcing the control valve stud against this resistance, opens the way for fluid pressure to be unequally applied to the ram - exhausting one side and filling the other. This is your power assist.

The ram cam be cobbled onto almost anything with a drag link and a place for the chassis bracket, but make sure the welds are safely done. The control valve normally fits on the drag link end, engaging into the Pitman arm. You'd have to check your situation here (Transit?).

Does this help, or have I made it more confusing?

Cheers addo

Not confused mate it makes perfect sence, i kinda figured it worked in this way but wanted to confirm it before i buy a system

It is for the Transit it really needs PAS

The drag link is hollow on the transit so i should be able to cut the section out of the falc drag link and turn the ends down so it fits inside the transit link, Or i could cut a thread on both and screw it in place

Anyhow will let you know how i go

Threading together sounds best - should make it pretty adjustable. Reco parts are not very cheap when you compare to stuff like later racks and power boxes, so makes sure you aren't signing up for death by a thousand cuts.

Before you fit ,one tip from someone that has driven a car with ram power steering is that it will lack any road feel. Maybe you should consider getting something off an XD or XE if it will fit.

My brother had this on an XY fairmont with a 302 standard from Ford and removed it because it was so bloody awful.

Mark

I agree, ramsteer is too too light. Even reco valve-bodies don't have any feel. Graft on a rack and pinion if you can find something to fit.

Theres simply no way of changing to an falcon style box and or converting to rack unless i change the I beam suspension to some kind of aftermarket independent set up and for the money and engineering hassels NO THANKS

I really dont mind the steering being light though i cant see it being all that light as its really heavy and its going to be worse with 740lbs of engine over the front wheels

Can you post a picture of the front suspension/steering, please? I am now curious. :eek:

xdee":2t2mge5a said:
I agree, ramsteer is too too light. Even reco valve-bodies don't have any feel. Graft on a rack and pinion if you can find something to fit.
Yep, the second time I drove the ZC was to take it to the garage to get the power steering taken off - it was terrible...

Back