Cortina Extractors

73GreenMachine

Does anyone make dual outlet headers to suit a TC Cortina? I want to install a twin 2" exhaust system since my petrol tank will soon be removed.

73GreenMachine":3nksy8pz said:
Does anyone make dual outlet headers to suit a TC Cortina? I want to install a twin 2" exhaust system since my petrol tank will soon be removed.

Do I smell straight gas 2v? :LOL:

I'm interested in this as well. I pretty sure the original 2v falcons came stock with dual outlets, but I havent seen anyone making them for a pre-crossie corty these days. The market simply isn't there.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there is someone that does, otherwise custom might have to be the go.

now thats a hot idea.places like unique mufflers etc will make them new to suit your needs/car.

Pacemaker PH 4460 is dual 2" outlet for 250 2v

It for a falcon, but i dont think the TC is hard up for space is it? (never owned one)

A bit of an involuted response from me here, but here goes. Sorry if this is all a bit space kadett, but it'd confuse you more if I had to simplify it for general consumption!

1. Single out TC/TD 250 Packmaker, Perry or Genie headers were still around in the 80's, but not dual out.

2. I'd sugget you contact FSSP in the US, and ask Mike /Az Coupe/ GT200 nicely to organise a set for you . He showed me a prototype shorty header in 2003 for Fox Mustangs (79 to 81 high mount headers) and they are designed for 2V's and Log heads. Fox Mustangs have a similar engine bay to the Cortina, but with restrictive catalytic converters on a short deck 200 block. Space is therefore limited.

(Mike tried to get some orders, but wasn't certain that there would be a market. Something like 12 000 six cylinder TC to TD Cortinas would be a sizable, bankable market to tool up for. It would allow the common 3.3 US Mustang header to be tooled up, reducing the unit cost).

3. If you do a google internet search on Ford Cortina pictures, you will find a Red 2V TE and a couple of 2V TC's, but the headers on both have been custom made. When you see the picture, then click on enlarge phot, and presto, it takes into the website text and allows you to get info on any new 2V Cortina swaps when they emerge. You've gotta be a bit of a scrutineer to see a 2V, but they are there alright!

The TC rack and pinion steering column joint and the firewall fouls the Falcon headers, while the TE has the radius rods reversed to HZ Hlden style, and these rods get in the way of any dual out header.

Its a fully custom set-up.

The FSPP header possibly fixes that by allowing custom pipes to pass link up with a shorty header, much like the old XU1 GTR Torana/161/186S item only in tubular steel. Daul out shorty headers are the best thing for power and economy in a six becasue they force the owner to look at dual out, low restriction, V8 style exhasts.

4. Oh, and another thing. Cortaina sedan owners with petrol engins can always use the Datsun 180B/200B/240C/260C/280C or Nissan300C fuel tank. They vary from 55 to 65 litres. It sits behind the rear seat like the Holden Gemini item. You then get space for a proper V8 style dual exhast out back, with mufflers as far back in the car as possible, reducing the backpressure by half, and making the car sound nicer.

Spotcha!

Okay, so the message is: get the high mount starter headers from FSPP\Classic Inlines. They have dual 2" outlets right? I am still a little worried as to wether they will fit or not. I will PM AzCoupe anyway though and see what he says.

As for cutting before the collector, does anyone make a Cortina extractor that has 2" secondaries for me to do this with?

Hmmm. On second thoughts, you gonna have to make custom exhast header tubes no matter if you use the stock Aussie XA to XB items, or if you import Az's headers.

Rather than mess about too much, you can just stock Aussie XA-XB Falcon extractors, and rework them like this:-

You'd cut the ends off them, and get 3mm larger slipper joint header pipes custom made to fit over the two primary pipes. So if the primaries are 1.5" where you cut them, you get 1.625". Keep custom bending them until they go past the firewall. That way, any 'drunk muffler services operator with half a brain and a full keg' can make custom header pipes to fit your TC.

When you happy with the fit and radius of the bends, and that they will mate up to your exhast, then just fill them with RTV or Maniseal gasket seal. As long as there is 125mm or so overlap, they won't fall off.

(There was a special order header Az made as a prototype in the US. All his headers are either imported Pacemaker or similar to Pacemaker items, and come from Australia anyway!

What I was suggesting was getting the custom short length header he designed back in 2003 or 2004, and showed to the Ford Six moderators.

It was a very compact, very short extractor. You'd have to then provide the header pipes to the exhasts, he supplies a 'shorty' extractor which mates to it. This allows you to fit an extractor into the engine bay with no wuckin furries, but You Provide The Header Pipes to the exhast).

Back