Water everywhere

Moderator: Mod Squad

2nd.gunman

Post #1 by 2nd.gunman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:57 am

is it alloyhead or ironhead? on the ironheads you must run water through the intake
2nd-gunman
XT Falcon 500-soon to be 4.0l OHC, BTR 93LE, 3.45
XA Ute - 250 2V, 3 on the tree, 3.50
XC Fairmont - mild 250X-flow, single rail, 3.23
XC Cobra #336 - lumpy 302C, toploader, 3.73
XE S pak Ute - 250X-flow, 4speed, 3.23

SONNY

Post #2 by SONNY » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:43 pm

the cast iron head has a water jacket going from the head into the manifold.i cant see why you can block the hoses off but,theres is still water going into the manifold.im sure i have had a cast iron motor which had a redline manifold etc with the heater hoses blocked off.its been a while so im not 100% but like i said i cant see why you cnat block off the hoses as water is still going into the manifold from the head.
TE CORTINA,WORKED X-FLOW,TOPLOADER,LSD

2nd.gunman

Post #3 by 2nd.gunman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:07 am

sounds like an alloyhead. they have 2 water outlets on the manifold which you can just leave off. but the 2 on the passenger side of the head at the front, there is one you can block otherwise it will overheat. i think its the top one but not sure.

on the ironhead the water flows from the head into the intake to the heater. you could probably block it off but if you left it open the coolant would leak everywhere
2nd-gunman

XT Falcon 500-soon to be 4.0l OHC, BTR 93LE, 3.45

XA Ute - 250 2V, 3 on the tree, 3.50

XC Fairmont - mild 250X-flow, single rail, 3.23

XC Cobra #336 - lumpy 302C, toploader, 3.73

XE S pak Ute - 250X-flow, 4speed, 3.23

SONNY

Post #4 by SONNY » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 am

Vernonv wrote:Hi Sonny,
I gather from what you are saying, that the water jacket in the head and the water jacket in the manifold are connected. Also from what you are saying, each has it's own water flow, independent of the other i.e. the head is fed internally and the manifold is fed from the hoses, but the two are interconnected.

This kind of doesn't make sense, because if the two water jackets where connected and both had independent water flow, then me blocking off the hoses wouldn't have stopped the water flow - i.e. water would have flowed from the head to the manifold and leaked everywhere.

Where is the engine number or other identifying marks located on the engine/head?

Cheers.

Vernon.

hi there you dont need the heater hoses to make the motor run.if the motor has 2 pipes from the manifold you can simply join them,same as the 2 hoses from the motor,its easy to reroute them to bypass the heater/manifold etc.anyway as for the leak,if its an alloy head simply avoid the manifold as you dont need the hoses going there.im running an alloy head with a redline manifold and they dont even have lines for water so you dont need to hook em up.
TE CORTINA,WORKED X-FLOW,TOPLOADER,LSD

lyonsy

Post #5 by lyonsy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:30 am

hey
a pic whould be helpfull.
but from to tell the difference does it have a 2bbl or a 1bbl idf 1 most likely iron head.
to confirm on no2 inlet port you will have 3 bolts 1 up top 2 at bottom for iron head and 2 for alloy.
if you block the glow into and out of manifold and it stops leaking id say the waterpassage is corred and your head ant far behind.
just run the pipe from the ater pump to the heater and then 1 back to the fitting at the front left side of the head it wont make any difference.
if its an alloy head.
if a iron head then you will have to chage manifold's
drift
A V6 or V8 is far superior to any inline engine. It grips the ocean floor so much better