Timing gear sets for aussie crossflow?

A

Anonymous

I’m looking for a timing gear set to go into a wild 250 crossflow that I'm building for a XP falcon and can’t locate one. Can anyone point me in a direction to which I might get one or to someone that may be able to make me a custom set?
The 250 will be running individual throttle bodies EFI, coil pack ignition; solid roller cam and roller rockers so straight cut timing gears would set the whole thing off.
Any info will be great.

I think there was a Rollmaster/Streetmaster gearset a few years ago.

Romac have recently been through some changes, so the product lines could have altered. You would have to call them; my experience has been that faxes and emails don't go far.

straght cut gears are done by crow i think as well but cost hp.
unlike the holden red they have to have a 3rd idler gear to drive the cam this is drawn into the gear set binding it up slightly and costing around 5hp over a chain.
due to the 3rd gear it also does not give any advantage in timing over a chain ether.
if you how ever find a 2 piece set no idler let us know as then there will be an advantage.
if you just want the noise of straght cuts but then get the idler type.

Thanks for the info it all helps. but i may just go to a gear maker and get them to make a set of floting gears and if need be make a new frount case. would really like to do something alittle different so will exhust all options before i go to the twin row timming chain.

I would recomend a Romac Rollmaster chain, a gear set will magnify the crank and valve train harmonics by introducing a whole extra set of harmonics.

Unless you inted to use the specially preloaded gears like the Toyota engines use between their cams on the twin cam heads you will get gearmesh harmonics for sure.

I was talking to Romac about timing chains and harmonic balancers the other week and he said he doesn't make the cam gearset for them anymore because too many people copied it. If you really want to go that way then there must be a few people kicking around making copies of the Romac ones.

Too many copies? :roll:

How well do you know what's going on in Sumner Park?

Diecrest also make a fixed idler timing gear set for the crossflow.

Back