forged guts in 250

lyonsy

ok so i got thinking (scary) the pin hights are different between us 250 and aus 250 sitting the pistons further down in the bore.
now whould it be possible to use the fordsix forged pistons with a stock deck and a 6in rod i think they might just be poping out of the block.
this whould also allow us to use h beam conrods for the turbo doch as well.
just a thought what you think deano?

You've got to fine 180 thou, a massive 4.57 mm. 6.06" verse 5.88, all in the rod. So 180 thou is poking up the block, hitting the head well before top dead centre.

so you've gotta add the bare minimum to get an O deck block, by two gaskets and a copper spacer

You'll just get by if you use a two composite 40 thou gaskets and at least a 125 thou CNC , water or lazer cut copper or tin spacer, and resist the temptation to deck the block. The pistons can stay stock, and won't need a shave down...all 1971 to 1993 ohv Aussie blocks are 90 thou shallower than the US 250.

Deck is 9.380 verses 9.469, but all the pistons, non cross flow, X-flow, US or Aussie, the pistons are still 1.531", just like the stock US 200 and 250 ones were.

ok so the aussie block deck height is 90thou less the the us blocks???
and the pistons are the same not the 30thou difference like i was told hmmm.
so in that case i can use those forged pistons in a aus block with out haveing to deck the block 90 thou to zero deck it then.
so i actully have forged pistons i can use that arnt $2000 and custom made.
and can use the stock 5.88 rod.
???
or do i go 56thou up use those 4.6 cammer pistons and a 305 chev rod?
and should right to use those same pistons with say a 221 block as well.

also alternatively could you get the dished piston shave to a flat top gove around 6-10thou
resize an aftermarket conrod 100thou or more if possible give a 50thou shorter rod.
offset grind a virgen crank down to 40 should give around 20thou.
then have a 3mm shim gasket made.
whould defintly be a n/a engine only but.

One thing for sure you can't use the 305 chev rod. it is too narrow. all ford sixes need a 0.991" wide rod and nothing with a 2.1" big end journal is this wide. You can;'t even get a wider rod and narrow it down.

Chev rods are way too narrow.

At this stage the only decent combo for a turbo 250 is a set of Spool 6.06" H beam rod at around $900 and a set of custom pistons to suit $1500 ish.

Once you start messing around machining pistons down, running spacer shims and multiple head gaskets etc you defeat the purpose of using the good pistons in the first place. You will have trouble with ring lands breaking thin crowns on the pistons etc.

If your engine is making enough power to break a stock rod and piston combo there is no chance of a head gasket staying in there with a spacer plate.

Head gasket is one of the weakest points in a turbo 250 engine. it is not like the 4L engine where you can buy a multi layer steel gasket, ACL race series gasket and o-ringed head or block is all you can do there.

For an atmo engine I wouldn't bother with forgies at all unless it is 15:1 on methanol, roller cammed revving to 7500rpm or something wild like that.

well iam n/a and bracking ringlands so id hate to see what id do with a turbo.
so whould the us 250 forgies work with out millingthe block to much and get them at zero deck?

Back