OZ 4.0 in a Mustang?

65coupei6

Famous Member
Staff member
VIP
Do you guys think this will fit in a 65 Mustang without mods to the shock towers?

46.jpg

It has the complete front accessories and a manual trans.

Short answer is no. ;)

What year is the motor? Looks to have the dual length runners.

looks like a 95-97?
the engine will fit they intake no idea.
you might also have troble with hood clearence.
have you brought it yet?
if not you will have the same troble with the later doch engine which i what i whould fit.

The motor is out of an AU (1998-2002). But I believe it is the same as an EF/EL motor. Does this help?

Ok looks like an AU to me 10w-30 lube oil specified.
Has two intake tracts long and big, big ones opens at 3800rpm, pity it isnt VCT engine, they have 230bhp. I have one and it goes quite nicely power to 5500 without any let up, and smooth too.
Troubles, intake will probably foul the shock tower. (struts can be used to cut towers back) available in Aussie.
Starter is on the drivers side in USA which might be an issue
Sump is cast alloy on au and is cross bolted to main caps and will be a problem with front stabiliser bar and isnt easy to rectify.
EFI will probably need factory computer or a bit of work to get an aftermarket to work.
Dont be put off, if your keen it can be done, and in a light stang should go pretty well.
hope this helps.
A7M

Some areas of concern - As pointed out, the shock tower itself and the shock tower brace. You may need to modify the intake or the tower to make it fit well.

The starter shouldn't be a problem and getting an SDS or a Megasquirt to control everything is relatively easy.

The block doesn't have the same mounting bosses as the earlier engine, so custom mounts will have to be built.

The bellhousing face is different than anything else so you either use the aussie trans or you have to make an adapter. You may need a custom crossmember to fit the stock trans.

Should be a good runner in a Mustang. Only needs a turbo to be a real sleeper!

Taking a guess here, but the us 250 in skinnier?
Just make up some base plates instead of modding the mounts, it's easier. Just finished my base plates for a 3.9 into and old '73 Falcon

I know the distance between the two mounts is about an inch less or so.
The intake should have about 20mm or less clearance.

You could use a megajolt to control the ignition, as the harmonic balancer already has the 36-1 tooth disk on it and sensor. As well as a coil pack.
Then slap a carby on it...

Back