Crankshft pully

A

Anonymous

Ive put a power steering box in my xe, motor is still out of the car, I noticed when I was at the wreckers that the ones with power steering have a 3 belt crankshaft pully and the outer belt ran the power steering pump, and the middle ran the air conditioning, I dont have air conditioning and I have a 2 belt pully, do I have to use a 3 belt pully so the pump lines up with it or can I use my 2 belt pully??

Thanks Joip

I actually poped out and took a look at my car (as it has pwr steering and air con) just to see how it would fit if I put the power steering on the second groove, rather than the last, and A three pulley wheel would be desirable... However I have an idea...lol

Basically you are only worrying about whether the two pulleys are rougly in line. I was kind of thinking that you could modify the power steering pump's bracket, to shift the pump back a bit, but then I thught that would be a real PITA. So my idea is, that when you bolt on the pwr steering pump, to put a few of those thick, steel spacers on the the bolts that go through the mounting bracket and the pump, so that they shift the pump back a bit, and you havent had to change a thing, and it will all line up perfectly.

Well tell us what you think (or if it makes sence...lol).

Cheers,
Dylan

ah nuts, you wanna know why the pulley for the pwr steering pump sits so far forward? It's so the belt can clear the radiator hose that goes into the water pump. Sorry, but it looks like the 3 belt pulley is the ticket.....unless you want to switch to braded hoses, and lead them around out the way...

Thanks Dylon, actually I went back out to the wreckers this afternoon to have a look at the pully, to a bit of surprise the outer pully is bolted on to the main pully with 3 bolts, I thought it was like one whole pully, so I got it and every things sweet now

Thanks again
Joip

lol, ah well I guess that makes things easy. Actually it's amazing just how good the falcon power steering is. I find my car easier to steer than my mum's camry or dad's magna. Actually I think that I will always be comparing the handeling of other cars to my falcon, as it just such a nice easy car to drive. When I have the cash, I want to get a WB Statesman, but if the thing does not handel close to what my falcon is like, I probably wont buy it, as it takes the pleasure out of driving (crusing is another matter).

Well enough from me.

Cheers,
Dylan

Have you driven it without power steering?

Now theres an experience you wont likely forget in a hurry! :x

Hey Dylon, its good to hear how the power steering handles I was wondering what it would be like as Ive never driven my xe ute yet but cant wait, I thought it might be a bit heavy in the front but wasnt sure, I drive my dads car now and then 80 corona liftback has no pwr/str and turns like a bag of spuds, its like will I do a u turn here or just go up a side street and turn lol

My uncle used to own a HJ...HX ?? statesman deville we use to work on trawlers at the time and it coped heaps of saltwater and the body was just abused but he keep maintain on the engine was a good car to drive, I ended up with it and had a HZ kingswood and was going to stick the engine in that, some bloke offered me some much need money so I sold it

Thanks Joip

I have also just recently upgraded my XF ute too power steering. My wife loves driving it but the steering was just way to heavy for her.
My ute is blown so I had all sorts of problems with brackets. initially it was looking like I would have to to build a custom mounting bracket as my blower brace utilised the holes. Luckily I had to upgrade belt tensioners anyway (the belt was slipping under high revs) and my blower installer had developed a new tensioner so the standard bracket was used. Then I had to gin around with belt alignment as my blower belt is between air con and p/st pump belt.
Well worth it , it is so easy to manouever and the wife loves it. I'm yet to get a wheel alignment yet as it is a little too light on the highway, different specs for man to pwr/st alignment.

Thats excellent to hear Duke, I've got my p/st box in and lines, getting close to putting motor and tranny back in and see how things go, I wont have the trouble you had cos I dont have air con or a blower, once its up and running will definity get a wheel aligment done, wont tell the mrs how easy to steer otherwise I might never get to drive it lol

Joip

Back