ok looking to start a plan for the crossflow

btw I think I am going to mod at least one of my blocks for a US dizzy drive. for running the EFI I would rather us one of my modded 2.3L US dizzys since it is all off the shelf parts I can get locally (cap/rotor/pickup/body/gear)

I have a torn down 200 xflow so figured I would start prepping that block with a new bore, decking, etc

still debating using the 200 rods or building a 200" motor (I would end up with half a motor if I do a long rod 250)

Headers are costly, and I'd urge a local regrind on the cams if you are able to salvage them.

Still on the distributor front, why not tweak the shaft to fit the block? It's less invasive and messy. Pistons shouldn't be hard to nab (but they are dear), and the turbo manifolds you want to check clearances before committing to one.

Cortina guys seem to be the best source of used turbo manifolds.

I would reuse the intake manifold - will save lots of time and effort - unless it won't fit your car. The 'factory' turbo x-flow falcons of the early '80s used the factory setup and it worked OK. Remember too the six 'bananas' of the intake are all the same - so if you do a port match job you can fiddle around with different combos until you get the best fit.

well I was planning a front mount and being a LHD car I think it might be easier to just toss a new plenum on it.

so is a long rod motor worth it?

If it's going to reduce your options by making one motor out of two, then no.

OTOH, if you save on the cams by using Reed Cams or Clay Smith to regrind, import another set of long rods!

now are the stock 200 and 250 pistons the same between them? my 200 has no pistons and just was wondering if I could order a couple sets and use them as needed.

Yes.

From 1976 to 1980, early government fleet issue Ford Falcon Van, Sedan, Transit Van and Cortina 6 200 X-flows used to use the 250 x-flow piston. Compression was 8.2:1, and they ran on regular gas which was only 83 octane by the US measure. According to my Cortina manual, net Hp dropped from about 6 hp, from 108 to 102hp. Stock compression was about 9.15:1, quite high.

For anything above 9:1 compression, the 200 X-flow needs 15 cc dish pistons. The 250 X-flow uses 23 or 28 cc pistons. Shove 250 x-flow piston in your 200 x-flow and you loose a point of compression.

US and early Aussie pre-cross flow pistons yield 6.5 to 12 cc in the centre dish. The HSC pistons are flat top (0 cc). They all swap.

well this partial 200 I have has a HF4 head with it I think. what are the chambers on that head? Just debating if I should toss leftovers into this motor to make it whole for resale or as a spare or if I should part it for some 200 rods and a spare block/head to keep around.

BTW that head has two cracks in it and is bare. I was thinking of having it welded up and rebuilding another head for a 250 and using the old valvetrain in this head to make the motor complete.

Well here is my parts list so far.

200 crank and rods (no bolts or pistons)
1 bare block (has a used unknown cam and timing cover)
1 bare head HF4 casting with a bent up steel cover for it.
cast iron manual trans bell and inspection plate.

XF EFI motor purchased from OzHemi. complete with EFI, wiring, ecu, auto trans (BW45?)

sunday I am picking up a carbed 250 with three intakes (4bbl, 2bbl, weber) adn a C4 trans.

currently working on another deal for a second EFI motor with manual trans bell to be picked up in a couple months.

so I guess I will have a nice selection of parts to pull from to make a runner or two. as far as the other casting numbers I will get them in a few months when I am home next.

look in the l/h side above the ports between 1/2 there will be a letter or a number if its the latter unleaded heads if not its a leaded head and will be open chamber.
c1/c2 d e1 closed chamber
e2 open chamber
what blocks you have?
82da 83da 84da 86da 87da
this will basicly work on what blocks you build and dont to
82/83 had rope seals
84 on had a single seal
i whould stick with the stock rods simply because it will be easiers to keep the comp down around 8.5/9

turbo_fairlane_200,

If you plan on parting with any of the intake or exhaust manifolds, let me know. I have one of the crossflow heads from an XF, and need both manifolds and gasket kits.

Back