ok looking to start a plan for the crossflow

ok looks like I am picking up ANOTHER crossflow motor (this one is carbed wit ha C4 trans) I plan on just dropping the auto combo in the car to get it converted over and on the road (my T5 needs some work)

so i have a nice XF 250 EFI motor to play with and an older cast iron manual trans bell....and a turbo...

I would like to build a turbo 250 EFI motor for the car with either a T5 behind it or maybe look into a custom bell for the T56 I have in teh garage.

back to the turbo motor though...

I am not looking to build some crazy 500hp monster but just a nice street 300-400hp motor. I have a .57 trim T3/T4 I was gonna run (if it isn't too small) but other than tha tI am kinda in the dark on how to build the motor.

does anyone make a forged piston for a lower compression combo?
beefier rods? I do have a set of 200 crossflow rods...
what size are the stock injectors? low or high impedence?
any other mods recommended?

can I run a mild turbo setup on the stock EFI setup if i run a boost retard on the timing?

Hello!

I have learnt 'the hard way' there is very little power or flexibility in the standard XF EFI system. The injectors are only good for about 200hp, the afm is restrictive, etc. Keep the standard manifold, etc. but put in bigger injectors to suit your application. Then get yourself a megasquirt (build it yourself efi) and put that on it. I have had one on my Falcon for nearly 2 years now - it runs my cooling fans, I run 3 ignition coils instead of a dissy (dissy just runs the oil pump now!) and it runs as well or as badly as I want it. ALSO, the factory efi computer imposes a 4700rpm rev limit. Check out msefi.com for more information!

Have fun!

Kendall.

Kendalls ideas rock.

Where the x-flow has one huge key advantage over the better 1988 to 2007 Ohc engine, is its ability to fit any car which first had a 144 to 250 US engine. The percentage of US parts needed to get an X-flow going isn't much more than ignition, efi, and perhaps the pushrods, valves and any number of cheep ACL pistons.

The OHC is serverly crippled because of its engine mounts, the bellhousing incompatability, its wacky starter postion, its length, its width with the normal EFI intakes, and, in some versions, its sump. Yet again, people in the US have understood that its better to have a drop in an X-flow engine which can fit the US T5 gearbox with an adaptor plate, than have to cobble up a dumpster load of spare ignition, EFI and special mounts and bellhousings to suit the X-body Fords.

I got an XF EFI. 164 HP and somthing like 247 lb-ft. Stock engine has as much power and torque as the US 4.9 EFI

Any kind of Waste spark ignition (V6 Explorer, EF, AU Falcon), the simple Megasquirt for 225 US bucks, and its proper MAP sensor rather than the air vane are the best first ideas. Best of all, the Aussie CPU and air vane can be hurled over the nearest riffle range for skeet shooting practice. The Bosch LE system may have been cutting edge in 1982, but its old stuff now.

The hp limit on the EFI is the stock vane air meter. That is what sucks in the EFI....the lack of adjustability. According to enginers in the late 80's, 196 hp is all there is with cams below 280 degrees /215 at 50 thou. According to info in 1995, 185 hp is possible with no mods to the EFI, but relocation of the air vane to allow a better exhast header...the stock one is dreadfull.

The XF EFI cam was a good one at about 264 degrees, way up on the piddly 256 degree carby camshaft. The only difference between a 200 to 230 hp 4.0 OHC 2003 engine and your X-flow are the much smaller valves and intake ports, the 1.73:1 rockers (rather than 1.9:1 or 2:1 the OHC used), 5.88" rods rather than the later 6.06" ones, and the nature of the camshaft and the EFI and ignition. The OHC has a better crank and balancer, but if you really want to, you can fit an EL crank to you XE.

So if you focus on

1. just the EFI,
2. exhast and
3. ignition first,

your well on your way to nirvanna. In stock form, the torque from a good 250 X-flow is great, and the power from 4000 to 4500 is not bad, enough for a 16.5 second quarter in a 4-speed 3200 pound car.

4. Do a bare minimum rebuild of the bottom end and the stock head. Add the ACL shallow 1.163" tall pistons with the 8 cc dish to the 6.27" 3.3 Xflow rods, and look at getting an EF or EL crank and balancer and flexplate. Ever since 1966, the Aussie Ford Sixes have used the US spec 160 tooth 289 flexplate from the early Five bolt SBF block. The rear seal in the X-flow block has to be reworked to suit the EF to EL crank flange.

Then tune it up with a proper modern EFI and ignition system.

5. After that is done (it'll take you a year), make up an XE head, slap a set of 1.96" intakes and a 1.64" exhast valves (ex 351M or 400 Ford, in stainelss, and cut down from 2.05 and 1.71 to the sizes above). Open around the valves and cut back the valve inserts. It'll cost you a lot in machining bills, but the bits will be great. Then use Boss 351 studs and roller rockers and custom pushrods with guideplates. The intake ports form the rocker pedastalls for the exhasts, so just ask your machinist to be carefull installing the screw in studs so they don't break through the exhast port. You can find some 1.8:1 lifters and get a custom cam to suit. There is around 230 hp in that if you use a 280 degree cam.

Best part is, you still have a stock looking EFI, and a heap of grunt. The later cranks are awesome, the distributor gear is gone, the EFI is adjustable, and the better Boss 302/351, 351m, 400 replacement valve gear is really good for 6500 rpm.

Your 250 X-flow may almost match Mikes stock alloy head on a worked 250. ;)

send a message to markze
but he is running 500+hp with out any major mods
basicly do the smallest bore out you can
run acl 27cc dish duralite pistons
stock rods preped and arp rod bolts
a balance
a bit of head work.
there's a anther bloke stock 250 from cam to pistons running 290rwhp only mod heavyer valve springs.

the 2.3L pinto turbo motor uses a similar AFM setup (vam air draw through) some people have had success converting it to a blow through setup and and referencing the MAP sensor (I think think) to the charge tubes (not to manifold) to allow higher mass air flow rates than the vam air would support normally. has anyone looked into this?

no matter how hard you try you cant polish a turd
most just run a megasquirt or a delco type system.

I agree 100% with lyonsy.... DUMP the stock efi computer and don't even bother trying to modify it. If you start with a better system (something that was designed this century!) you will finish with a better system. Otherwise, you will end up with a very shiny turd.

I know this is a moronic thing to say but I'll say it anyway, the XE XF EFI with that alloy rocker cover and alloy intake runners sweeping over the top of the engine has got to be one of the best looking engines ever built.
The later OHC engines didn't look the business!

I hope you really enjoy doing the engine up. I had an XE with the first EFI and I just loved that car.

Mark

it is a great looking engine esp for its time!!!

so shoudl I even put any effort into trying to get it running on the stock ECU (need to wire it into the car and all) or should I just go right to a megasquirt or similar setup?

looking to pick up a carbed motor in a week or two and will prob see about getting a carbed motor in to ge it running.

Are you buying the Crossflow that Dave (Speedy) had in Texas? If so, did you purchase any of the other goodies that he had for it, like the intakes?

Good luck with your 250 build. Keep us informed.

yeah I am picking up daves motor with all spares for it. my 200 crossflow has no intake (or exhaust) so figured it owuld be nice if I could toss some leftovers at it to make it a complete engine for someone.

it is an aussie 200 crossflow motor (same block as a 250 crossflow just a shorter stroke) granted I had been thinking of adapting the one D8 block I had to take an aussie head.

I would get the motor running on the factory efi system first - then tamper with the megasquirt. You will not have to change the wiring harness if you use a megasquirt - you can make an adaptor so the new ecu plugs straight in - look for an eecIV to megasquirt adaptor made by a bloke called 'Megascott'. You will have to add some wires to the harness for an oxygen sensor and stuff but with ford stuff that is a piece of cake. I have done this on my vehicle and it has always been oem reliable. I can provide maps and such for a stock naturally aspirated motor if need be (I have the original injectors and everything!).

Kendall.

well I have a set of 6 35# low impedence injectors from a 2.3L I was planning on starting with (will support about 350 hp with ease)

just that since this is a retro transplant I didn't know if I shoudl bother with the factory EFI or if I should jsut go directly to the MSII setup. time is not something I have alot of to play with things right now.

2 systems twice the time.
if time tight just get going as a carbyed engine first then go injection as the carby version is dead simple
mark

Since you are going with bigger injectors you will be unable to use the standard computer with them ; you will have to go straight away to an aftermarket system. But I would reuse as much of the original efi harness as I could (to save time) but I would carefully inspect it for damage first.

I was thinking of building a new harness and using new plugs on it (since they are teh same as US ones) once I pick up my carby engine in a couple weeks I will see which one is in best shape (compression check) and the best one will go in the car with the carby intake on it. I guess this will be a good time to fab a new plenum for the EFI intake.

any recommendations on pistons and rings for a turbo setup? or is my only choice cast ACL pistons or custom forged made in the US?

ACL make hypers, which if you're building a decently controlled engine (no wild spikes in behaviour) will do perfectly. The P/N will vary depending on the rod length - I think it's 6MKRY9411H(plus bore oversize) with fileback rings and 200 rods.

well I figured since I need the bits shipped up I would gather up a couple cams, couple sets of pistons and maybe a header or two to suit a xflow for the other motors I have. I would assume a turbo manifold is pretty tough to find nowadays?

Back