Comment from the Aussies on New Alumium 2V Head

JACK250":10ou787r said:
xdxr6t":10ou787r said:
A Ford Wrecker and long time Ford 6 racer told me today that the 200 was available with alloy crossflow head up until early XF (about 1984). He said they are rare and he hasn't seen any for a while.
Has anyone got any more info on these engines?

Don't think so, i'm getting one for free next week. The cars themselves are worth about $50. The 200 Xflow is the same head as the 250 it's just the block that's different as far as I know.

I believe the only difference is the crankshaft and conrods.

wagon":1jg3qq00 said:
JACK250":1jg3qq00 said:
xdxr6t":1jg3qq00 said:
A Ford Wrecker and long time Ford 6 racer told me today that the 200 was available with alloy crossflow head up until early XF (about 1984). He said they are rare and he hasn't seen any for a while.
Has anyone got any more info on these engines?

Don't think so, i'm getting one for free next week. The cars themselves are worth about $50. The 200 Xflow is the same head as the 250 it's just the block that's different as far as I know.

I believe the only difference is the crankshaft and conrods.
Crank, conrods, and a different dish in the piston is all.

now, if I can get a cheap flight.. I think I can claim a few 6's as carry on for the flight back no?

Both Nissan and Ford are dropping the I6's in favor of a v6 due to the cost of metal and ease of fabrication of the v models. They can make them much cheaper and have china do it. it's sad, cause if ford USA made a turbo i6 falcon, I wouldn't have bought a kia mini-van. You aussies get all the cool ford toys, well the UK guys too.. they get the cool foci.

with the new doch engine there making over 400-450hp n/a on pump fuel and the turbo one's are making over 1200hp.
this engine has basicly made all previous aussie six's redundent.
a good turbo crossflow 250 will make around 600-800hp depending on fuel with 300-350hp being obtainable n/a
the soch engine is good for 600-900hp turbo and 350-400hp na

from some calcs ive done the new alloy 2v falls in around the soch engine.

I read this in an Aussie street magazine a while back. The ally 2v's are cast in Melbourne by CHI, and the number they gave is (+61) 03 9583 5725, ask for John. Drop the 0 if dialling international.

I have an XY ('71) Falcon wagon with a "warm" 250 2v (T5, 3.5:1 9" disc brake). I have no idea of the HP figures, but I spent $4 thou on it and it's... fast :D

An ally 2v is definitely on my wish list, along with an Eton M90 and Demon carb, if the money becomes available. My other baby is a *Factory* '72 XY Falcon 4wd Ute. The plan is to put the iron 2v on the ute, add a turbo, and build it for maximum torque around 2 to 2,500 rpm.

I guess it's because I'm an old fart, but IMHO any car built after, say, 1990, has got no heart, and especially in the last 10 years they are all the same, just different badges and bloody gadgets, they almost drive themselves, and you have to be a licenced mechanic to touch under the bonnet. My cars are 37/38 years old, and there is any amount of spares available for them. I look at a BF turbo for example, and wonder if the same will apply for it in 38 years. There will always be alcohol for fuel and synthetic oils, but where are you gonna get the fossil-type oil to make the half-ton or so plastic on the bloody things. Give me steel (mmm with an ally head :oops: ) any day.

JesseB":3p5dclr5 said:
I guess it's because I'm an old fart, but IMHO any car built after, say, 1990, has got no heart, and especially in the last 10 years they are all the same, just different badges and bloody gadgets, they almost drive themselves, and you have to be a licenced mechanic to touch under the bonnet. My cars are 37/38 years old, and there is any amount of spares available for them. I look at a BF turbo for example, and wonder if the same will apply for it in 38 years. There will always be alcohol for fuel and synthetic oils, but where are you gonna get the fossil-type oil to make the half-ton or so plastic on the bloody things. Give me steel (mmm with an ally head :oops: ) any day.

amen to that brother (y)

I'll clear up a few things. The heads were only being machined by CHI. They were cast by Racer Pro, which has their own foundry. However, that's all in the past. The patterns are now in the USA, as of yesterday. All future heads will be cast and machined by a company in LA, which also has their own foundry. The main reason for the change, is that CHI was sold and the new owners didn't want to mess with them. At least that's what I assumed, as they quoted a price more than double what the old owner was charging. Obviously that was unacceptable.

To date we've sold about two dozen heads in OZ, however I've only heard back from a couple of them. Both are very pleased with the results. One just ordered a 480cfm Spread Bore, to replace his Holley 350cfm.

AzCoupe":w8uqjds3 said:
I'll clear up a few things. The heads were only being machined by CHI. They were cast by Racer Pro, which has their own foundry. However, that's all in the past. The patterns are now in the USA, as of yesterday. All future heads will be cast and machined by a company in LA, which also has their own foundry. The main reason for the change, is that CHI was sold and the new owners didn't want to mess with them. At least that's what I assumed, as they quoted a price more than double what the old owner was charging. Obviously that was unacceptable.

To date we've sold about two dozen heads in OZ, however I've only heard back from a couple of them. Both are very pleased with the results. One just ordered a 480cfm Spread Bore, to replace his Holley 350cfm.

Thanks for the update Mike, I hadn't heard CHI was sold, and frankly the new owner's attitude is disappointing. I've been spreading the word around among owners of old Fords, writing down the Classic Inlines web address or entering it in their phone, once I have their attention.

Money's been very tight the last year or so, gone backwards in truth, but just entered a lucrative 2-year contract, so once things are back in the black, there will be another ally head in Oz. I believe that once the ball starts rolling, even die-hard v8 owners will take notice.

I take a look in your website every so often, mostly just to drool, but also to see if your Eton blower kits have surfaced yet. I admire that bloke elsewhere here that made his own setup, but I don't have the equipment or the talent for that, so a bolt-on kit would be perfect for me. Any word on that?

Mike I do hope you're starting to get the feeling that all your hard work and persistence is paying off. Here's to you :beer:

Jesse.

Back