Comment from the Aussies on New Alumium 2V Head

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Some of you here may not have read the post on this Forum at '140-250 "Small Block" Six Performance' that Mike of ClassicInlines did on the dyno runs he made with his new Aluminum 2V head. Here is a link

http://classicinlines.com/PCdyno.asp

He also posted videos of the dyno runs.

I was wondering what your opinions are of the results he got (211.0 RWHP/227.5 ftlbs torque NA) with the setup he used. This head is based on the old cast 250 2V design that you guys have.

For us, this is a gigantic leap in performance. What say you?

addo,

I'm not familiar with the model. What engine is in it?

I should have noted in my post that the engine I am talking about is a 200cid (3.3L) with a basic stock bottom end, mild street cam, and minimal porting. I was hoping to get a comparison to an Aussie engine with the same setup; apples to apples.

I think my learned collegue Addo is merely refering to one of the latest offerings that Ford Australia has put on the table here! It a turbo version of Ford's inline six. Unlike the US, Ford Australia kept the inline six and developed it further. Though, if I'm not mistaken, I think the decision to swap to a V6 has been taken and those motors will start appearing sometime in the future. Someone with more knowledge than me should be able to confirm this.

As to comparing apples to apples, I'm sure if you offered to send one of those nice aluminium heads to one of us here in OZ we'd be glad to install it and give you some comparisons..........;)

Teddy :)

TeddyXY71,

If you guys want a freebe, you'll have to stand in that loooong line with the rest of us. :LOL:

rocklord":3a4apncw said:
If you guys want a freebe, you'll have to stand in that loooong line with the rest of us. :LOL:

Fine by me, just tell me where that line starts and I'll be there! :D :LOL:

I have a suspicion that these heads are cast at the Toowoomba foundry.. if that is the case I live 5 minutes from there! Can anyone verify if this is the case?

Turn up with a trailer, and say you're there to collect the 6 cylinder heads for CHI...

D'you mean the Matilda Foundry?

rocklord":3hlu7y8y said:
addo,

I'm not familiar with the model. What engine is in it?

I should have noted in my post that the engine I am talking about is a 200cid (3.3L) with a basic stock bottom end, mild street cam, and minimal porting. I was hoping to get a comparison to an Aussie engine with the same setup; apples to apples.

One problem with the comparison is the 200 cube. Most Aussie's build 250 inch engines.

It would still be interesting to see what you guys are getting with a 250 2v iron head on a NA 4.1L. Eventually someone here in the States will install the alloy head on an American 250cid, and we'll be able to make better comparisons.

But until then, com'on guys, give it up with the numbers! I know you want to brag.

Why order a alloy 2v head from the US when they can just get a crossflow motor cheaper?

Heck even getting a crossflow motor in the US is cheaper than a new Alloy head. It takes more work to get it in but also gain bolt on EFI

One of if not the biggest HP Falcon 6 in Australia is probably the Joe Gauci Turbo 200 powered Cortina that runs 8.5 and 160mph quarters.

The V6 is due for release in 2010.

The XR6 engines have been double overhead cam since about 2002 and single overhead cam before that. The new turbo F6 version puts out 310kw or around 400hp and 565Nm of torque off the showroom floor.

A Ford Wrecker and long time Ford 6 racer told me today that the 200 was available with alloy crossflow head up until early XF (about 1984). He said they are rare and he hasn't seen any for a while.
Has anyone got any more info on these engines?

rocklord":c1r7q3mb said:
Eventually someone here in the States will install the alloy head on an American 250cid, and we'll be able to make better comparisons.

But until then, com'on guys, give it up with the numbers! I know you want to brag.

Dan,
We've had an aluminum head on a American 250 for over a year now.
It's been into the 10's, mostly low 11's, and has gone as fast as 125mph in the quarter mile. It's been turbo'd up to 17lbs. of boost and run up to about 220 degrees in hot street driving.
The head is "as delivered",out of the box, unported.
We did have to "deck it" a bit to ensure flatness. This was after about 1 year of very hard service!
Other than that....no problems!
Later,
Will

wagon":2bq64o5g said:
I have a suspicion that these heads are cast at the Toowoomba foundry.. if that is the case I live 5 minutes from there! Can anyone verify if this is the case?

no they are made by CHI in Sydney.

turbo_fairlane_200":1j0md306 said:
Why order a alloy 2v head from the US when they can just get a crossflow motor cheaper?

Heck even getting a crossflow motor in the US is cheaper than a new Alloy head. It takes more work to get it in but also gain bolt on EFI

Exactly. Don't get us wrong, the head and specs look fantastic. I've got a pretty warm oz 2v 250 here which cost me close to 3g. If i spend another 2+ on the alum head, its cost me 5000ish. That would build me a pretty hot crossflow, with locally found parts.

Still, it'd be cool to have one just for the wow factor.
:D

Even after saying all that above ^^^

I'd still love to try one. My 250 block has done 5000kms since a full rebuild and is basically 40thou over, balanced, msd ignition, twin 2 inch exhaust, romac balancer, 214 cam (soon 222.5, 0.460, 108l/c) and I figure if MRaley got 211rwhp, then surely the 250 has to be maybe 30hp better off with a bigger cam and 4bbl 570 carb?

Current head is the orig 2v, standard comp, extensive porting, manifolds matched and holley 500, and with the 214@0.050 cam, I'm estimating around 200-210hp at the flywheel. Dyno to come when I do my manual conversion.

The other advantage the CI head has over ours is its around 20kg lighter! With this taken into consideration, I maybe able to get the cortina down to around 1100kgs after a (wishlist 8) ) CI head and my alloy gearbox.

230-240rwhp in an 1100kg manual Cortina that makes all its power below 5000rpm sounds like a lot of fun...

The engine ADDO is referring to is three genrartions on from the venerable old precrossflow push rod engine. He is using some old fashioned Aussie humour.
The guys make a point about the crossflow engine with EFI but I run an XY GS and I want it to be original. I would also want to run a pre crossflow on anything prior to 76 if I was looking for originality. I had an XE EFI and I still think it was one of the spunkiest looking engines around.
Modern engines including the new Turbo don't have that look to them.
Would I love to build a new engine for the XY using the alloy head and some great intake gear, you betcha, but I haven't got the cash or the space to store my original engine which must stay with the car.

xdxr6t":6zolj4vh said:
A Ford Wrecker and long time Ford 6 racer told me today that the 200 was available with alloy crossflow head up until early XF (about 1984). He said they are rare and he hasn't seen any for a while.
Has anyone got any more info on these engines?

Don't think so, i'm getting one for free next week. The cars themselves are worth about $50. The 200 Xflow is the same head as the 250 it's just the block that's different as far as I know.

Back