Ford 221 engine?

xy500

G'day,
i bought an engine today, was supposed to be a 200ci pre xflow but has turned out its a 221ci from an xw falcon.
I was wondering if anyone had any info on these engines, and whether bellhousings are interchangeable with 200/250's?
and also if there is a good way to adapt xy engine mounts to suit the xw engine (or adapt the xw engine mounts to suit xy preferably)
thanks

You did well. Same bellhousings, and a lighter package. Look for XR-XW motor mounts and pedestals, with XW being preferred.

221 is a good thing, look after it, they can rev and are completly interchangable with other pre crossflows.
Ive had a few and with triples and cam with 2v head go very well.
a7M

Don't forget that 221's have a different crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern than the later 200/250's

Cool, so thanks for the info, i slotted in the 221 in place of my 250 while i rebuild it. She runs awesome apart from now 3 days in the rear main seal has begun leaking like a seive! i have already put some oil stop leak in to try and swell the seal, but something must be seriously wrong with the seal for it to leak how it is, the oil comes out fresh and honey coloured.
Does anyone have any hints on how i could change the seal with the engine in the car? or if there are any better seals than the rope style ones?
I tried changing the rear main before i put the engine in but i could only change half, i couldn't get the block side half of the seal out. I guess i must of done a pretty poor job.
Is it even worthwhile changing the seal or should i just let it leak and hurry along the rebuild?

The old rope seals work OK when done right,but if iyts leaking very difficult tofix properly with the engine in the car. The crank needs to come out to do it properly.
let it leak, seal sweller probably wont do anything.
A7M

just worked out today that the oil leak probably isn't the rear main, though it may be contributing.
The main culprit seems to be from between the head and the block on the back left hand side of the engine, the oil was leaking from here down the engine and onto the bellhousing, which made me think it was the rear main.
It got me thinking is it normal for these engines to get this sort of leak? or maybe there are some aftermarket lifters in it? whats the best way to fix it?

Nothing special about the 221, check the rocker cover gaskect, and while youve got it off check the head bolts are tight.
A7m

at the rear of the engine on the left hand side is an oil gallery to supply oil to the shift mount rockers.
you need the change the head gasket thats the problem[/quote]

Back