Carb problem with Aussie head

Vin Man

Famous Member
I've posted this same thread in the small block six section of the board, but thought I would post here as well as I'm using the Aussie head on my 200 SBS.

For those of you that don't know me, I'm building a new small block six 200.

I am using a short block out of a 66 Mustang. I am using an Aussie head.

Here is a thread to my project:
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50725

I'm at the reassemly stage right now and discovered a problem tonight. I purchased a new HW5200 2bbl carb to use based on input and feedback from others. I've been excited about seeing how this carb performs. I'm also a big fan of the Autolite 2100 2bbl. If the HW5200 doesn't work out, I'll put on the autolite.

My problem is fit. It was my understanding that I was going to need an adapter (available from ClassicInlines) to bolt the HW5200 onto the intake used with the Aussie head. I got the adapter tonight. I took the carb out of the box, and the adapter out of the package and broght them over to the head.

It turns out, the bold pattern on the HW5200 is the exact same as that on the intake manifold. I don't need the adapter. The adapter will be needed if I wanted to use the autolite 2100 as it is a bigger 2bbl (vs. the small 2 bbl patter on the intake/HW5200).

So, I have an adapter I don't need which is no big deal. I can return it.
The real issue is clearance. I can't bolt the carb directly to the intake as it would the throttle linkage will interfere with the intake. Looks like I need a signifant spacer - at least 1 inch - to have the linkage clear the intake.

Anyone have any suggetions or experience here? Also, should I post this question in the Aussie section of this board as well? Thanks.

I posted pics in the thread I posted in the 144-250 small block six section of this board. I believe I titled the thread "Carb Issues" or "Carb issues with Aussie head".
I'm on blackberry right now so I can't post them here now but will do so later tonight.

Edit: Photos can be seen here: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55587

Many inlines use phenolic spacers as heat barriers, or even EGR spacers under their carbs, so maybe its assumed that the end user will also install something to compensate for the interference issues you are experiencing. Many times spacers are good, in that they often raise a carb up and create a better geometry for the linkage, and can offer improved low RPM throttle response if a two hole variety, and a single open hole can enhance upper RPM power.

CNC-Dude":3kw18k79 said:
Many inlines use phenolic spacers as heat barriers, or even EGR spacers under their carbs, so maybe its assumed that the end user will also install something to compensate for the interference issues you are experiencing. Many times spacers are good, in that they often raise a carb up and create a better geometry for the linkage, and can offer improved low RPM throttle response if a two hole variety, and a single open hole can enhance upper RPM power.

Great points. Any idea where I can get a phenolic spacer?

Back