New project

aussie7mains

Famous Member
Well people after years of planning and thought Ive FINALLY got an XP ute, which I plan to modify quite a bit.
So Im in need of some opinions on the drive train, Ive decided a V8 is too ordinary and costly so its onto a six.
Proposal 1 I have a 250-2v and celica 5 speed fitted, use that with a stronger rear. This is already in the car and set up, albeit a little roughly.
Proposal 2 use an OHC 4 litre form and AU with VCT and borg warner single rial with stronger rear.
Problems with #2 is that the injection manifold will not fit in the bay so I propose to make a tubular intake for one or two carbs. I plan to retain the VCT systems and the alloy sump.
The VCT engiens are rated at 172kw which is quite good even when compared to a V8, I can get a bellhousing to mate up to the BWSR which I have, and the el type rear is probaly the go.
Anyn thoughts?
A7M

Would the earlier (EA-ED) manifold fit into the engine bay? The biggest snag I could see then is the standard engine management probably won't like the mods.

au motor would be unique in an xp for sure. 230hp straight up. 2v would need a couple 2-3g spent on it before you get this hp, but the vct motor might cost you around that anyway - depending where its coing from :)

The VCT Im on to at the moment is $600 without the ECU which I wasnt planning to use anyway, Ill probably make an intake using the throttle body and an LPG mixer system.
You can buy a four barrel manifold and a dizzy to use without ECU. Just a bit expensive at 450.
The EA type manifold is just as bad as the broadband type so thats no help. I got a price for a BTR 78 with 28 spline axles LSD and correct width for the XP for $2800 new.
A7M

been done many times before but here is XP ute (melbourne)with 250 crossflow-

i think a simple engine installation ( less all the tubes /pollution stuff/ hidden wires/ etc ) looks good for a 60's car
( also has coil over front suspension - no shock towers)
aircleaner pokes through the rad support panel with pod filster behind grille

P1110052.jpg

P1110053.jpg

brett
melbourne

aye - and if it only was mine.....

its actually mark who runs earlybird falcon parts in melb

brett

Latest plans
I have purchased a Sprintex s102 supercharger locally which came with drive pulley but no snout.
Have restored the 465 Holley carb and got the 250-2v running, it seems to run quite nicely with no untowaard noises and no oil or water leaks, it sounds like it has a mild hyraulic cam in it.
Am in the motions of restoring the front end, it only needed brake reaction rubbers and ball joint boots.
I have a borg Warner single rail with the shifter up close to the iron part of the tranny and a 2.84:1 first gear.
The plan now is to get an Ef-El type six and make a manifold to bolt Sprintex up, fit a GRA LPG mixer and run it on LPG, Ill make my own extractors and exhaust so I can get big enough pipes for the proposed 200kW.
Hows that sound?
A7M

Trip up to wreckers this morning, ef-el six with manual flywheel and 95aa head around $400.
Im going to sell my 250-2v with 5 speed and my price is around 1500.
That ute is very nice, a little low for my taste but nice all the same.
A7M

Back