Xflow to US200 block cam question

i8dirt

Hello,

Total newb to this site, but have driven a US log head 200 for a couple decades and want more power. I looked for info on xflows on a 200. I found http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ight=us200 but this is a hotter setup than I need so I ask you the experts for another opinion.

I will be building a EFI US200 with a 1987 Xflow XF EFI head. I am aiming for about 150HP or more if drivability and mileage do not suffer (automatic with stock stall converter, 9:1CR, 87 US octane, headers eventually & 2.25â€￾ EX system). I do NOT want to over-cam.

I need to buy a new cam but the specs from CROW cams are for a 250CI engine. I like specs of the #14221 but I think it is too much for a 200CI is a 14613 still too hot a cam?

Is a 1987 XF EFI triggered from a crank trigger or just from the dizzy?

Is a LPG cam perfectly useable on a normally fuelled engine?

________________stock 200CI__________________
YEAR 77-80 200CI Chamber 62 In-valve 1.75 Ex-valve 1.54 HP 85 TQ 154
CAM Duration Valve Lift
200ci - hyd 252/256 .348
200ci - hyd 256 .372

_________________Xflow cams__________________
XFLOW 4.1 EFI Valves IN 1.84 EX 1.55

CROW# 14678 Standard replacement EFI Cam.
power range 900-3400rpm lobe cen 109
in 264/196@.050" lift .439"
ex 264/196@.050" lift .439"

CROW# 14613 High torque, fuel efficient, smooth idle. Use for LPG in unleaded cars. Excellent for towing.
power range 1000-3800rpm lobe cen 112
in 254/194@.050" lift .441"
ex 264/202@.050" lift .470"

CROW# 14771 L.P.Gas cam for good power and fuel economy in standard leaded motors.
power range 1200-4000rpm lobe cen 111
in 258/200@.050" lift .458"
ex 262/205@.050" lift .470"

CROW# 14221 Improves throttle response. Highway cam for mild or stock engines.
power range 1400-4200rpm lobe cen 109
in 266/205@.050" lift .472"
ex 271/209@.050" lift .485"

THANKS!
Mark

i8dirt,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked at the website where MustangSix was the first to figure out how to adapt an Australian crossflow head onto a US200? Here is the link:

http://fordsix.com/200xflow.htm

This is not a direct bolt on. Also the US block is shorter than the AU200, so there is a problem with fitting a stock distributor. He went with a distributorless system. His cam is a stock EFI, so you can compare that with what you're looking at.

I have considered doing this upgrade and am gathering the parts necessary for it. I have a carby head, valve cover, 2V intake, and cam; the only thing I'm lacking right now is the exhaust. I'm trying to acquire an EFI intake incase I want to go that route.

Where are you located? Do you have the head already?

PM me if you like.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the link. I have seen an other version of this link but with only small pictures, this one is better... Profile updated.

Yes I know about the block matching issues and am not afraid of that. I have paid for a head (condition theoretically usable), but it is still down under. That is why I am making the cam question now so it will be all shipped at once. I am probing for the latest opinions.

Cheers,
Mark

The cam I have is a cross between the EFI cam and the 14221. Specs below:

power range 1000-3500rpm lobe cen 109
in 273/196@.050" lift .441"
ex 273/196@.050" lift .441"

I have a wilder cam with around 290 duration and .495 lift. I purchased this cam before reading about a 250 cam being more radical in a 200. I first thought of getting Rhodes lifters to calm it down, but decided to get a milder cam instead.

Hey has anyone done this in OZ?

I was thinking I might try this myself with my 221 as I have a crossflow alloy head motor sitting around doing nothing.

Will go pick up head on weekend and take some photos

I doubt if anyone in OZ has tried this because crossflow sixes are so common there.

I see no problem with you doing that to your 221. In fact, you are closer to the source for parts such as headers, cams, gaskets, and whatnot.

Keep us informed.

Iit might be easier to put the whole crossflow engine in but I like to be different and like the 221 as it's a little rarer than a 250. Also I can retain the original running gear (brakes, no rear setbelts, steering column) and don't require an engineers certificate to have the car road legal if I use the 221 block.

The alloy crossflow head should be lighter than a non crossflow head, so already i am getting a performance advantge by saving weight and the crossflow head will definately flow better

I will keep you posted, already can't wait to rip the head off the crossflow on Saturday and start doing some measuring

Not sure about the dizzy drive gear to the US dist compatability. when I bought my Crow cam for the 250 crossflow engine I also purchased the Crow hardened dizzy drive gear to match. You may want to include the gear with your cam order.

Do you need the dizzy? If you go to a full Computer system? Other than driving the oil pump that is.

This is the toughest part of the conversion, IMO. It would be a slam dunk on a 250 block, though.

The US distributor gear works fine on the Oz cam, but the Oz distributor has a smaller shaft and will not work in the US block.

The Oz distributor will not fit on the 200 conversion anyway, alt least not with any stock or aftermarket manifolds. It's simply too tall.

The only distributor that fits without much work is an old Load-o-matic, but that's no help. A DSII can be cut down by about 3/4" and should barely squeeze in under a stock type manifold. I was able to get the DSII to fit under the tubing manifold I fabricated, but no-go on either the stock 2bbl or the aftermarket 4bbl manifold. I also tried making a crab-style cap with a lot of epoxy, but was less than successful.

I currently have a Loadomatic distributor that's been retorfitted with a V6 Taurus reluctor and pickup driving a Megasquirt.

BTW, the cam I have in there now is 214 degrees @.050 with a .464 lift. Idles nicely and pulls great to over 5500. I have a self imposed redline at 6000. the 209 degree cam should work fine. That milder 196 degree cam will probably just make 150 hp.

I'm pulling the MSII and going back to carbs soon. At that point, I'm going back to a DSII / MSD6a combo. I just have to finish a couple of other projects first.....

Jack,

Do you have the map file for the MSII available that you could send it to me? The file would be a good place to start from.

Thank you,

I would be interested in the MAP as well.

Also, why are you getting rid of the MSII and going to carbs? If I might ask? Please let us know.

Thanks

I'll get the file from my laptop and post it for you later today, although several of the stttings won't work for you, especially the ignition.

The MSII works fine, but I have a set of 45 DCOE's that will look positively killer on this car. Just have to make another manifold.

Back