Xflow head weight & misc questions

i8dirt

Hello,

I am trying to arrange postage of an XF EFI head within Australia to a chap near Melbourne who is acting as sort of a shipping "agent" for me whilst also trying to convince another chap (ebayer) to sell and post his XF head to my "agent".

* What does a Xflow head (no manifold or valve cover) weigh so I can use the post calculator. Close estimate should do.

While I have your attention...

* Is an XF (1987) chamber 49CC?

* Any idea how much some ACL pistons 6MKRY9411 would cost?

* If a XF on a US200 block combo is putting out around 150HP to say 170HP is it worth going to an ACL piston or is a regular cast replacement OK?

* Is an ACL (470 gram) a lot lighter that a stock cast piston?

Thanks!
Mark

i8dirt":nytycmqc said:
Hello,

I am trying to arrange postage of an XF EFI head within Australia to a chap near Melbourne who is acting as sort of a shipping "agent" for me whilst also trying to convince another chap (ebayer) to sell and post his XF head to my "agent".

* What does a Xflow head (no manifold or valve cover) weigh so I can use the post calculator. Close estimate should do.

While I have your attention...

* Is an XF (1987) chamber 49CC?

* Any idea how much some ACL pistons 6MKRY9411 would cost?

* If a XF on a US200 block combo is putting out around 150HP to say 170HP is it worth going to an ACL piston or is a regular cast replacement OK?

* Is an ACL (470 gram) a lot lighter that a stock cast piston?

Thanks!
Mark

Mark,

I posted your questions on a forum located in Australia, http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17285 . Below is the answers I received from xrglen, one of the members:

"hi, i can only answer some of your Qs.. a 1987 XF head has a 42cc chamber, these are marked C2 or C2A in between the 1st and 2nd inlet port on the outside of the head...... the 6mkry9411 pistons will cost you around $350 aust but these are hi-comp pistons and normal duralites would do just as good and they have bigger dishes to choose from.. the 9411 pistons weigh 510gms.. its the 200 conrod onto 250 crank piston that weighs 470-480gms....cheers"

Hope this helps. I have a crossflow head at my house; I am at work right now. When I get home, I'll weigh it on my bathroom scale and get back with you.

EDIT: I got home and weighed the head in the box it was shipped in. The alloy head with valves, springs, rockers, and steel valve cover weighs 53 pounds (about 26.5Kg). I suggest, if you have the head shipped with the valves installed, to have the shipper include the steel valve cover. The valve cover would protect the top of the head in shipping.

I guess by now you realize how expensive it is to ship parts from OZ. I just got a quote to ship an EFI intake from there for $135AU ($95US/$110CD) not counting the price of the intake ($40AU). That why I've been waiting on purchasing an exhaust manifold or header for my crossflow200.

Talk to you later.
Brother in arms.
Misery likes company.
(Insert whatever quote you like for someone in the same situation as you) ;)

Gav on the xfalcon.com site posted this:

A bare alloy crossflow head...with valve train components weighs 18.3 kg (38.9 lbs for you guys!)....cheers...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info...

RE: shipping, I feel your pain. For UPS to send a head, manifolds, cam to Canada (about 55kg) is about $1000AUS :( I got a rough quote via a AUS company called Pack&Send for $350-$550 to do the same thing via the sea, but I still have to probably pay $150 for a local shipping broker to handle the paperwork here. I have bribed an AUS ebayer to act as my central part collector, he will build a box, put all the unique bits in there and send it all at once to minimize the $$$$ pain of shipping. I hope I can trust the guy, but I like to believe that the Aus are straight up folk.

My problem is, I am researching to get a another XF head as a spare just in case the first is a dud. I hope to have it sent 200km to my "export agent" near Melbourne but am having trouble finding a shipper. Aus post will send the weight (20kg), $19 but the box dimensions exceed the acceptable handling size. Pack&Send will charge $76. UPS will not send as a ground package, only send it for around $350 by AIR.

DEAR FRIENDS IN AUSTRALIA:
What do you guys use to ship bulky items in Aus that doesn't cost an arm and a leg??? :unsure:

Cheers,
Mark

I had OZ Hemi ship up my stuff but he doesn't ship state side.

on my XF engine and trans I drove to his place in Cali to pick it up (I was ONLY 1000 miles away....2,000 miles in 47 hours SUCKS)

second time was a bell and rocker cover and other small bits. had a friend in cali pick it up and UPS it to me. ($80 for overseas shipping then another $120 state side)

I would be all down for a group buy on some parts!! I am looking for a header, rebuild parts, cams, pistons, etc. Get it all posted to one spot then broke up. one big ass crate sent truck frieght or picked up local in Cali would make it much easier.

XFlow,

Yes a group buy would be nice, but unfortunately there is a border between myself and where you live so thats another complicating factor that allows a middle man to skim off some profit.

Like I mentioned I bribed a Aus Ebay seller to be my shipping agent. The original head was "local pickup only". I did some quick research on shippers in Aus, found one with an office near his home town (Pack&Send), and got an estimate. Maybe I am a fool but I offered an arrangement that I would pay him $120 to make a box and do all the local "handling". I ask permission before I order more stuff because the deal was only for a head, then it turned into cam, headers, extra head gaskets, fuel pumps and now I am trying to get pistons. The head was cheap by my hometown standards.

It may be risky on your part to have me do purchasing of parts on your behalf, because I myself don't "know" my "shipping agent", and that cross border issue... I know UPS are thieves when it comes to "handling" charges for cross border deliveries, usually a deal breaker for me. And of course I would have to bribe my agent to handle more stuff.

Perhaps you may also consider what I did, bribes! I just do an estimate what it costs to buy wood and slap a box together and I negotiate to have my agent, collect stuff from his mailbox and stuff the package.

If you feel like playing with cross border shipping calculators my postal code is V8W 3P6 (Canada). If it is light stuff Canada post has the cheapest fees (for stuff from the US to Canada). Otherwise you can try the UPS or Fedex calculators. Fedex used to be much cheaper than UPS, don't know now.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Xflow,

Thanks for the offer, via your brother. When I get my heads in and look them over, I will probably be ordering a whole slew of bits and pieces in a half year or so, I just may ask you (& your brother) for a little favor.

Re shipping stuff from Aus to Canada (and USA for that matter). The sea mail option is looking better. They charge a flat fee per cubic (100cm X 100cm x 100cm). This does not even have to be one single box/crate, it can be a number of boxes that add up to 1 cubic (read smaller boxes may be cheaper than to custom build a crate strong enough to take total weight). If its a whole bunch of little boxes then they pack them into a bigger box to keep things tidy. They treat your boxes as one shipment by labeling say, box 1 of 10, box 2 of 10... etc. A packing list of contents of each box is a MUST. Another thing is: Its as they say "size that matters" not weight, so I am definitely getting a spare head, and maybe even another cam. There are still some gaps in my knowledge before I can say what the final packing plan will be.

Cheers,
Mark

I'd be interested in a joint bulk shipping. I'm in need of an extractor (header) and gaskets.

Shipping to Washington state, then dispensing the items to individuals may be the best alternative.

Usually, shipping of the type you describe is a "cubic weight" - ie; a certain volume is allowed a maximum weight. A common weight allowance is about equal to half the cubic volume, but filled with water. So, if you try shipping a cubic yard of lead shot, it'll be charged at a whole lot more than the volume occupied! :LOL:

$120 is pretty tight to crate and forward, if the box is any good. Double is better, but hopefully your agent-designate won't make life difficult. A secondary form of sender/agent ID for private shipping would be good - a legible picture of their licence would show enough details that any misbehaviour could be tackled through formal channels.

Back