Aussie engine/bellhousing advice.

furloughed

Hello, since I am from the US, I don't know allot about the Ford Aussie engines. I am investigating installing a Ford 300 big 6 into a 4spd FJ40 landcruiser. The 300 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 302-351s and US 250-6. The kits I am looking at are from Au and are confusing to me. I don't understand the whole EA-EL stuff. I would appreciate any insight on which kit could work. Thanks.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/toyota/landcruiser.htm

furloughed":21g1q83j said:
Hello, since I am from the US, I don't know allot about the Ford Aussie engines. I am investigating installing a Ford 300 big 6 into a 4spd FJ40 landcruiser. The 300 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 302-351s and US 250-6. The kits I am looking at are from Au and are confusing to me. I don't understand the whole EA-EL stuff. I would appreciate any insight on which kit could work. Thanks.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/toyota/landcruiser.htm

As an Aussie who lives not far from the place your link refers to may I suggest you DO NOT waste your time with that place. Saddly it has gone down hill and has been on the market for some time.

AU, EA & EL are all model Falcons here.

May I suggest this link http://www.marks4wd.com/ as it may be more to the requirements of your needs.

Cool23":2p28izuf said:
As an Aussie who lives not far from the place your link refers to may I suggest you DO NOT waste your time with that place. Saddly it has gone down hill and has been on the market for some time.

AU, EA & EL are all model Falcons here.

May I suggest this link http://www.marks4wd.com/ as it may be more to the requirements of your needs.

Thanks for the reply and advice, the problem with the marks4wd adapter is that it adds to the toyota bellhousing, which is great for a V8, but makes the 6cyl run into the radiator.

all those adaptors in the first link are for small sixes and not the 300.

I think anything to adapt the 300 to the toyota drivetrain is gonna have that issue.

have you thought about a ford trans and case in the Yota?

XFlow_Fairlane":1vfgmbcd said:
all those adaptors in the first link are for small sixes and not the 300.

I think anything to adapt the 300 to the toyota drivetrain is gonna have that issue.

have you thought about a ford trans and case in the Yota?

I would like to keep the toyota transfer case because of the offset diff headaches. Advance Adapters makes kits to mate the NP435 and T18 Borg Warner, but then I lose the syncro'd 1st gear. :cry:

are they a leaf spring rear? if so it might be easier to just swap to a different axle?

what are your intentions fo the rig? dare I say it here......AMC six?

Why a 300? they are pretty large motors to cram into most engine bays. a AMC/MOPAR six from a jeep might be an easier swap (if you are wanting to keep the FJ transfercase) you can build a 4.6L stroker one.

what year FJ? what model trans and transfer case? I think you can get a new bell for a XFlow 250 (OZ motor) to be fitted to a Toyota truck trans.

XFlow_Fairlane":12nrkwf6 said:
are they a leaf spring rear? if so it might be easier to just swap to a different axle?

what are your intentions fo the rig? dare I say it here......AMC six?

Why a 300? they are pretty large motors to cram into most engine bays. a AMC/MOPAR six from a jeep might be an easier swap (if you are wanting to keep the FJ transfercase) you can build a 4.6L stroker one.

what year FJ? what model trans and transfer case? I think you can get a new bell for a XFlow 250 (OZ motor) to be fitted to a Toyota truck trans.

I want to keep as much of the oem drivetrain as possible.

The rig is going to be daily driver, and will not see much off-road duty.

AMC's don't have as much power as the Toyota unless you go EFI and I don't want the hassles.

I find good running 300's for $200-400 all the time. They have more hp and tq than the toyota, are lighter by about 200lbs and get better fuel economy.

Does the Xflow 250 use the bellhousing pattern as the 300 and 302-351 V8s? By the way, did they use any of the cool OZ sixes in trucks?
Thanks.

the aussie 250 XFlow uses a scaled up version of a small six bell housing (IE different than a 300/SBF/US250)

motor swaps generally do not stay cheap when you wanna crossbred a motor and transmission. what is the gear ratio in the toyota transfercase?

you say your rear diff is offset? what side is the front diff on? I am just wondering if you could swap an axle on one end and end up running a ford trans and case. it would prob run about the same in the end as finding some goofy adaptor. I am just thinking if you found a 4wd application 300/trans/xcase for a few hundred and swapped an axle or two for another few hundred and a set of new driveshafts to call it done. you could put the motor where you want it as far as length goes, maybe get stronger driveline bits in the process and eliminate some of the finding of obscure parts (since the toyota is all leaf spring I would think a Dana 44 front and a 9" rear would make for a simple swap)

Heck for $1500 you could prob get a decent 4wd parts truck with a 300 in it. I have a friend that just narrowed his own D44 front axle for his ranger. it only cut down one side so it would take an off the self inner axle for a chevy. Fab some engine mounts (I would just cut them from the donor truck....) and a trans crossmember, weld on some spring perches and call it done.

or maybe find a D60 donor front axle and build it with a 9" center and some custom 4130 axles and have the nice drop out center.

Back