Something funny 12,500rpm?

wagon

I was talking to a bloke the other day who was telling me he had the 'crossflow from hell'. He claimed it would rev to 12,500rpm. I called BS to his face... he didn't persist for long. Then I had another guy tell me speedway fellas get 9500rpm out of theirs. BS again, I say. I don't think mine would hold together for long a 5500rpm!

What is everyones realistic experiences (in case they come back to talk some more nonsense)....

Its VERY unlikely that anybody is seeing 12500RPM from a pushrod ford engine of any type. However I think some of the Argentine 188ci pushrod engines might just be able to do it, judging by the sounds Ive heard from them, (youtube), but it should be remembered that they have roller cams and use the shorter block.
But as to a crossflow rpm, the highest id ever expect would be 7500rpm, and it would take some doing. maybe Errol Quartermaine might have been able to do it?
A7M

I think one (or both) had tacho's that weren't calibrated properly or on 3cyl mode or something and they were both supposed to be 250crossflows. I've seen our OHC AU Fairlane motor 'buzz' to 7000rpm (briefly, because of a bad transmission & no rev limit on gas) but as for crossflows...

I set the rev limit on mine to 4700(soft) and 5000(hard) to give it a chance.

I don't understand why people feel the need to dribble such patent nonsense.

for speedway the 250 is not uncommen to be reved to 7500 it basicly comes down if it can still breath up there.
with the 200's 9000 would not be un herd of but rather high they average 8500.
should tell him to re hook his taco up to be 4 stroke not 2stroke

Back