1964 XM Falcon Motor Options

Clint

I've run foul of not measuring enough - the XM Falcon I've been working on has hit a snag. The tired 170 motor has been removed with the owner's wish for a 221 to be installed in the newly painted bay. Naturally, I had trouble finding a 221, but was able to find a 250 pre crossflow in good condition, so got the owners nod to use that instead - unfortunately, this later model motor won't bolt up to the XM bellhousing!

What are my options for engine replacements? I don't want to use the later model style motor/gearbox assemblies (160mm between the top bellhousing mounting bolts centre to centre), as this will require also changing the Z bar clutch (on the older style bellhousing with 120mm spacing between the top bellhousing mounting bolts) over to hydraulic, along with gearbox mounting and yoke differences.

What model and capacity Falcon motors will bolt up to the original XM bellhousing? Also do the original XM 144/170/200 6 cylinder engine run a factory sandwich plate between the motor and gear box?

Many thanks in advance - I thought I played with "old" XA falcons, but these XM's are in another generation to my knowledge, so I'm floundering a bit with info to suit

Clint

OK here goes.
221ci six is same bellhousing pattern as all XR onwards (till OHC) so that wont fit your early transmission either.
Bear in mind that the 221 has a smaller water pump which will fit a fan behind the radiator, the 250 wont.
The only engines with the sandwich plate was XP when the BW 35 auto was fitted, as far as I know. This brought the small bellhousing pattern out to the XR big type.
So you best bet might be to bite the bullet and go hydraulic clutch and then use any later XR on type six, with their trans choice.
Your XM might have a spot for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, XPs do.
If not it shoulnd be to difficult to fit one.
If your interested Ive got a iron case celica 5 speed with drive shaft etc to fit to a XR on bellhousing, it might be able to be fitted to the smaller bellhousing of the pre XR sixes.
Ive also got an XP 5 stud 4:1 ute diff with good drum brakes if you are interested.
Im in Perth.
hope this helps
A7M

Im not too sure of its value, but theres:-
gearbox, shifter (ive not driven the gearbox so all i can say is that its seems ok)
tailshaft to suit the XP
bellhousing with adapter plate
Clutch friction and pressure plates
Gearbox crossmember to fit XP.
My guesss around $350 for all.
A7M

Back