250 2V making grinding noise?

TUFF72

Hi guys just a quick question.

I have recently got my 250 going and now as we bought the car with the engine were not sure whats the deal.

but somethings ive done was fit a brand new starter motor and woow what a job it is just to replace a starter motor on these engines! :banghead:

It's a 250 2v behind a toploader now i have fitted a gear reduction starter from the AU model ford, now im just not quite sure why it just keeps grinding when i go to start it up.
It just grabs and will eventually start if i hold it but it just doesn't feel right its a very loud clunking noise like its missing and grabbing and just shearing gears or something.

now also i found that the starter motor has become loose and the bolts holding it have came loose from the vibration im guessing when turning the engine over and it just grabbing on occasion.

What are some things to look at i have been looking around and im just not sure what this could be?

Steve

Either the starter's defective, or your install wasn't 100%. Remove it fully, clean the mounting faces of both starter and bellhousing, inspect and bench test the starter.

I'm assuming the battery's OK.

The good old pull down to get to the starter will commence shortly, the starter is fine we benched it before we put it in just to make sure it worked because i dreaded pulling it out again for a long time.

Do the toploaders require the spacer plate?

The battery is definitely ok, brand new aswell.

sorry for double post but what flywheel do these engines require what car can i find one off or where can i get a aftermarket one?

It's a zero balance flywheel with the same bolt pattern as many of the eights. If you buy an aftermarket flywheel, make sure:

(a.) It's zero balance not 28oz or 50oz
(b.) It's not from these guys (read post 7)

Dont worry mate i wont ever deal with them..
I was just wondering as i didnt know what flywheels/teeth these had.

Thanks addo.

also will i need a spacer plate for the starter?

Addo What starter motor should i look at having.

the toploader looks to have 3 bolts. At the moment i have a 2 bolt AU 6 cylinder starter.

maybe it would require the spacer plate?

I've not pulled apart an AU, so don't know the vital details of their starter/bellhousing interface.

What I have seen, is some variation with flywheel ring gears - different offsets from the crank butt. Wouldn't think it's enough to cause dodgy starting, though.

If possible energise only the solenoid on each starter, and quickly measure gear protrusion. Don't leave it with current flowing, for more than a few seconds.

thanks for the help addo

i sorted it out with a new flywheel.

starts like a baby now, now just need to work out the alternator problems and get this baby out on the road.

Back