Carby for 250 2v

JACK250

Got a carby in mind, just wondering if it would be too big, the Holley Street Avenger 570 Vac Sec.
Basic idea of motor: Big hydraulic cam, port work, valves etc, high stall converter, extractors...

Cheers, Jack

Wouldnt agree, thats too big for the big cam your talking about, Id err for something smaller, in my experience a big single carb on the 250-2v with a big cam is very soggy down low, and since your talking about a slushy trans Id be keeping as much low down torque as I could.
The idea you have is fundamentally wrong, a 250 isnt a big rever and as such your better off trying for increased torque, the 2v head will move your torque peak up about 500 -750 rpm and increase it quite a bit, but you wont get peak power much above 5000rpm even with a big cam, so keep your cam under 220 degrees (even thats probably too big) run a smallish carb and since Im assuming youll use the stock 2V intake manifold a smaller two barrel should work well .
So overall where looking at a cam around 215 (25-65) and exhaust port work, the inlets are almost too big stock, a bigger inlet valve will help a little, a good set of headers with a divided centre exhaust port, something around 350-500 cfm carby, 350 is very streetable, 500 gets a bit wobbly with the cam, is OK with stock cams.
This will give a you a good solid torquey thing which will work well with a stock type auto box. I hate loose comvertors and would say they are only suitable for drag racing, far to wastefull on the street.
If this is in a light car, say under 1200kg it will go rewally well and not too heavy on fuel.
All the best
A7M

a 250 with a carby bigger then 390 wont be good on fuel, mine guzzles like no tommorow unfortunatly.

aussie7mains":cki8trxy said:
350-500 cfm carby, 350 is very streetable,
I agree. I found the 350 holley works really well, alot better than the wws. Goes great and is surprisingly economical. Some good dyno comparisons (2bbl vs 4bbl) on the CI site, but i think they ran on or close to a stock bottom end. I think mine is now being starved by the 350 so going to try a 465. Not really concerned with economy though it already takes a little 'coaxing' off the line(231@50), A7M makes a good point, I hadn't considered that the 465 may make it worse.

Here's a terrible idea... EFI! No carby needed and once you have it setup and tuned you'll have reliability, driveability and (some) economy. You could even run COP or coilpacks for better ignition.

That's about where my head is, these days. The EFI "daily driver" has only failed to proceed due to user error (insufficent fuel! :oops: ) - all the mysterious gremlins people cite as risks with an EFI car, have their parallels in carbies/points.

My diagnostic costs so far - used laptop $300, cracked software £25 - the final link is maybe $200 (or less) in specific test cables. When you have the sort of information this provides, questions about stumbling, pinging or low power are significantly easier to diagnose.

I suppose whether this relates to the OP's posing, depends on his interest about setting up a manifold for multipoint EFI.

Exactly, Addo. There is really no excuse anymore to put up with a motor that runs poorly down low and guzzles heaps of juice. If done right, efi can be had for around the same money as a carby setup, too. Plus, emissions out the tailpipe will be less (think 'green') and you'll pickup extra power and torque.
(On the subject of emissions, I was following an old V8 mustang the other day, and it stank - miles too rich. Big carby = fail.) The old argument about 'what if it breaks down' is a load of bs also, since it's less likely to break down than a carby/points arrangement. It's more about peoples' fear of the unknown, I feel. (This is with the utmost of respect for the OP.) Go efi, lads : the only carby stuff you'll own will be your mower & brush-cutter!

Toy car is EFI also. It broke down in November - alternator brushes wore to nothing and one fell out the brush holder. Like the low fuel issue, this could happen to a carby car...

addo":14f0gu07 said:
alternator brushes wore to nothing and one fell out the brush holder

But if it was a Skil saw, it still would run on one of them and you could do a temp field repair with the pencil sub from behind your ear.

sorry, i won't be convinced on EFI on these motors.

Its a 40 year old head design for gods sake. My theory is set it up oldskool, carb, cam, maybe a little help with some elec ignition, but appreciate it for what it is and what it was back then.

8)

aussie7mains":21x78co7 said:
Wouldnt agree, thats too big for the big cam your talking about, Id err for something smaller, in my experience a big single carb on the 250-2v with a big cam is very soggy down low, and since your talking about a slushy trans Id be keeping as much low down torque as I could.
The idea you have is fundamentally wrong, a 250 isnt a big rever and as such your better off trying for increased torque, the 2v head will move your torque peak up about 500 -750 rpm and increase it quite a bit, but you wont get peak power much above 5000rpm even with a big cam, so keep your cam under 220 degrees (even thats probably too big) run a smallish carb and since Im assuming youll use the stock 2V intake manifold a smaller two barrel should work well .
So overall where looking at a cam around 215 (25-65) and exhaust port work, the inlets are almost too big stock, a bigger inlet valve will help a little, a good set of headers with a divided centre exhaust port, something around 350-500 cfm carby, 350 is very streetable, 500 gets a bit wobbly with the cam, is OK with stock cams.
This will give a you a good solid torquey thing which will work well with a stock type auto box. I hate loose comvertors and would say they are only suitable for drag racing, far to wastefull on the street.
If this is in a light car, say under 1200kg it will go rewally well and not too heavy on fuel.
All the best
A7M

^^werd.

I'm running a holley 500 with a 214deg cam (110l/c). Pulls easily to 5000, but doesn't make much power above 4800-4900.

Will soon be converting to a 465 with a 222deg cam (108 l/c) 28/68. The holley 500 runs out of puff at around 210-220hp, while the 465 is capable of 270-300. I'll never have that much power - target is 220-230 flywheel hp, so i think the 465 will be perfect for me and no soggy bottom end. All in a 1200kg TD cortina, manual, lsd, should spell some fun.

Economy isn't an issue for me though, as its not a daily driver.

Just a little comment on the EFI vs Carby, there is no "clean green" gaurentee with efi, certianly its easier to achive but its just as easy to make it worse.
A big part of reduced emissions is down to the combustion chamber and aftertreatment catalysts, which a 250-2v doesnt have.
The other thing is how do you get it to fit that engine, wyou would have to make all your own manifolds etc.
A7M

Thanks for all the info. No I don't want to go EFI, I don't care if it was double the power, this car is staying old school. I am possibly going triple CD 175 strombergs, if not I'll look into the 465 holley.
Thanks, Jack

Back