Barra motors

They are a great engine. I have been driving a lot of hire cars lately with the 192KW engine and 5 speed auto. They go like cut cats.
I drive a turbo Barra and although it goes like a rocket the non turbo motor really impresses. My wife's got a Territory which weighs about a ton and a half and again it pulls like a train. I suppose with 50 years development in this motor it should be something special.
When I was a younger both my brothers had Clevo 351's in various cars and they are like boat anchors compared to these engines.

That's what I'm hoping for. :D

The Comet only weighs 2470 pounds with the original (170/2spd auto) drivetrain, so it should run pretty hard. I'm getting a turbo manifold as well...you know...just in case I have a hard time keeping up with traffic. LOL

It's pretty..."interesting" to deal with shops over there. I've been trying to contact a few shops about sourcing parts for these things and it's been pretty hit-and-miss. It doesn't seem like there's too much interest in shipping anything this direction...and it seems like none of the online sellers even sell online. It's always "e-mail for a quote", "Call us for a price", etc. What gives? Is it that difficult to ship stuff out from over there? I've had plenty of positive experiences shipping things all over the world.

I'm kind of on the fence about whether to just buy a bellhousing from over there (if I can find someone willing to sell me one...LOL) or modify one here. If anyone has a tip about a good place to buy parts over there...I'm all ears. :)

Man...those things are BIG! It looks like I'm going to have to move the radiator out into the core support and use a de-gas bottle. As soon as I sort out the bellhousing (not too easy) and converter (easy) stuff, it's going to be mounted up.

Comparatively, the market is small here. And, we never had the precedent of mail order houses as in the US, so businesses are pretty laid back. Our whole idea of customer relations comes from a different angle.

See if someone like xdee or fingers can help, if you just want a Barra manual bellhousing.

I'm looking for a C4 bell...from either torque-power or Dellow. I'm going to try them again later today to see if I can buy directly. I have a friend over in NZ at the moment and I have him looking for a few things as well.

I'd really like to go over sometime and make some in-person connections. If I can get something set up over there, I bet I could sell some of these things. They're very nice looking engines and they make decent power. My friend who's buying the other one wants to do a manual == thanks for the tip!

I'd suggest you stand on the toes of some local kid who's doing engineering, and get him to CAD up your hybrid bellhousing. Scale up the casting for shrinkage, maintain the draft angles, and allow adequate ribbing.

Raw castings could be done in a third world country of your choice, then shipped to the US for finishing.

Getting stuff made here is now very difficult - the number of skilled hand workers is way down, and the larger companies are more interested in selling out than making stuff.

I have the resources available to make or adapt one here...but I would rather get one that's already made. They seem to be fairly reasonably priced from what I can tell. They're about the same price as they are here for domestic applications. At this moment, I want to get it mated to a trans and get it in the car, not make my own bell. If it goes over well and I can continue to bring them over, that may change...

agreed, updates?

I've been thinking about this same swap for a few years. The RB6 is too expensive, but the non-turbo's are fairly cheap, and I've heard you can get bell housing for the t-56...

I'd love to stuff one in a rolling thunderbird turbo coupe chassis.

Funky Cricket":1uwl2j5t said:
agreed, updates?

I've been thinking about this same swap for a few years. The RB6 is too expensive, but the non-turbo's are fairly cheap, and I've heard you can get bell housing for the t-56...

Are you talking about the Nissan RB26? If you are, i always thought about something like that. Then I saw that Fast and the Furious drifting movie for the first time a couple months ago and all my hopes and dreams came to light! lol. i just cant imagine anything other than a ford motor in a ford though...

1967JMG":7o1dw6hf said:
Are you talking about the Nissan RB26? If you are, i always thought about something like that. Then I saw that Fast and the Furious drifting movie for the first time a couple months ago and all my hopes and dreams came to light! lol. i just cant imagine anything other than a ford motor in a ford though...

When they built the RB26 powered Mustang for the movie they found that it wasn't quite up to the task. For most of the actual drift and race scenes they used a second car powered with a hopped-up 351W to get the torque they needed to smoke the tires.

They could've used an RB26TT - just needed Aussies on the build team!

Part of the drift culture to me, is the sound of engines other than a V-8.

i think they didnt have room for both turbos so they only used one instead... twin turbo would have been too cool. i like drifting because its not the normal v8 dominated motor sport. although more use of gm ls1 etc... and ford racing 5.0 and stuff are being implemented...

sorry missed a 2 in there.

yah, i'm a sucker for inlines, of any make, and the newer falcon non turbos don't cost an arm and leg, just not sure on the availability of parts.

Back