Torque Converter Questions (C4)

JACK250

Hi there, I have just had a C4 rebuilt for my 250 2V, stage 2 shift kit, and am after some advice on choosing a torque converter. I can access V8 C4 converters easily and cheaply, and I was wondering if it is a problem to put one in? I want a stall around the 2000-2200 mark, so if I got a v8 one what would I need, in the range of 2500?
Thanks, Jack

You will need a higher rated stall on the 6 than a V-8 as you suspect.

I have a converter behind my 200 cid engine rated at 4500 for a large V-8. On the foot brake I see about 2500 max stall in 3rd gear with brakes on. I use 3rd gear so the engine does not over power the brakes during the test. My C4 is a full manual shift

Crosley":2nod192k said:
You will need a higher rated stall on the 6 than a V-8 as you suspect.

I have a converter behind my 200 cid engine rated at 4500 for a large V-8. On the foot brake I see about 2500 max stall in 3rd gear with brakes on. I use 3rd gear so the engine does not over power the brakes during the test. My C4 is a full manual shift

Thanks mate, can you or anyone else confirm what size v8 stall would be around 2200 for a 250?
Jack

JACK250":24hzvabl said:
Hi there, I have just had a C4 rebuilt for my 250 2V, stage 2 shift kit, and am after some advice on choosing a torque converter. I can access V8 C4 converters easily and cheaply, and I was wondering if it is a problem to put one in? I want a stall around the 2000-2200 mark, so if I got a v8 one what would I need, in the range of 2500?
Thanks, Jack

hi, you can get the stall you want from the stock 6/8cylC4 convertor (of course these are different from the easily available Late C4 convertor).
Torque will govern what stall you get, mild 250's are generally very torquey in the 1800 to 2500 range and will often achieve good stall speeds.
Give me your engine and full cam spec and i'll let you know exactly what you need. The more detail the better.

Back